IGNORED

BBC wages!

Midred

46 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I don't think it will be published next year as the BBC created another commercial arm to deal with talent's salaries so as to avoid disclosure in the future. It's also meaningless as a lot of these people earn more than we see as the BBC pays a production company a lump sum for a programme and the production company pays the talent - so Norton for example is on 3x more than his disclosed BBC wage, all paid for by the BBC.

Most public sector service workers get bigger pay rises though beyond that 1% because the Unions made sure that progressing through your band is not shown/included or disclosed as payrises. So every year they receive a payrise beyond the 1%. Maybe the conversation should be how we can all have more transparent pay details so people don;t get mislead by "  1% caps "  etc

I'm not so sure. Our bands were stopped in 2012 as well. I think they have all been eradicated now.

So it is not misleading any longer. You used to go up the steps plus the % increase. But that is a thing of the past as far as I know

42 minutes ago, Fiale said:

If you buy property for investment you don't leave it empty, you rent it out to maximise your return so you get the highest RoI - rent and property value increase. People need to stop believing in the myth that people are letting losses of millions in potential rent accumulate in large numbers of empty properties.

There are 200, 000 empty properties in the UK at the moment...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/property-partner-20000-ghost-homes-sitting-empty-in-london-2017-4

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Most public sector service workers get bigger pay rises though beyond that 1% because the Unions made sure that progressing through your band is not shown/included or disclosed as payrises. So every year they receive a payrise beyond the 1%. Maybe the conversation should be how we can all have more transparent pay details so people don;t get mislead by "  1% caps "  etc

Total, unmitigated nonsense.  Going up a grade is changing job, there are a fixed number of posts at each grade and you don't jump grades just by doing the same thing for a year longer.  It's a promotion to a different job.

The "commercial" arm is not being created to hide salaries nor will it do so - it is still subject to the same rules.  There are some shows bought in and there have been for a long, long time but the main ones are produced in house.  Also worth noting the BBC is now responsible for deciding the IR35 status of people it employs through Ltd companies which should limit that practise. 

Anyway, I don't have a problem with people earning lots of money, more power to them.  I also think transparency is good - there's no need for pay to be secret and perhaps our society would be fairer if it were open across the board.  People get touchy about this in the UK but I've seen it work extremely well in some companies.

From a value for money point of view, perhaps the beeb should not rely so heavily on "stars".  Do people really watch MOTD because of Lineker and Shearer?  I don't think they do a bad job but when I stick iPlayer on, I click through all the punditry anyway.  We could instead just have a flow of presenters who after a while become established and move to the private sector for more money.  You'd get more variety and the cost would be lower - and some of the stars would end up coming back because there'd be the more presenters in the market.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Insane amount of money for simply presenting on TV. I also imagine their expenses (hotels, flights etc.) aren't included in these wages, so realistically they're on a LOT more.

When you consider that at least half of the City squad are in all likelihood on more than all but the top ten or so earners on that list it does make you realise just how insane the money in football is!

48 minutes ago, LC_ said:

Personally I don't agree with the salaries being made public, if anything it's going to cause more problems - people will want parity and the BBC will either have to lose talent, cut programme budgets, or seek an increase in the license fee.

I'm not convinced Chris Evans is 'talent'. Nor Alex Jones if I'm being honest :-)

Look at those names: Evans, Wright, Norton, Feltz!!! ffs, Winkleman, Zoe Ball it's clear to see these muppets are paid by their ability to get on your tits.

Ok BBC have done it.... over to you SL...

What are our wonderful heroes picking up for all the pleasure they bring us week in, week out?

• Admin
3 hours ago, SARJ said:

Insane amount of money for simply presenting on TV. I also imagine their expenses (hotels, flights etc.) aren't included in these wages, so realistically they're on a LOT more.

How does expenses make you on a lot more money?  If I travel to London for work, it's £210 train and tube, I pay it and claim it back.  I am therefore £210 out of pocket for a couple of weeks.  If I travel further afield and stay in a hotel, I pay it and claim it back, once again, no financial loss or gain.  Quite how work incurred expenses can be considered as part of a salary, is beyond me.  I could put my salary on here and then my expenses, the actual money that I have received is the salary, the expenses would add up to a fair bit, but unless you are fiddling expenses they are completely irrelevant to take home pay.

31 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

How does expenses make you on a lot more money?  If I travel to London for work, it's £210 train and tube, I pay it and claim it back.  I am therefore £210 out of pocket for a couple of weeks.  If I travel further afield and stay in a hotel, I pay it and claim it back, once again, no financial loss or gain.  Quite how work incurred expenses can be considered as part of a salary, is beyond me.  I could put my salary on here and then my expenses, the actual money that I have received is the salary, the expenses would add up to a fair bit, but unless you are fiddling expenses they are completely irrelevant to take home pay.

Not if you`re self employed they`re not. If I work away it all comes out of what I get for the job. The same with mileage etc., I don`t get an amount per mile like I did when I was on the books.

Not moaning about it though - it was my choice to start working for myself and don`t regret the decision just in case anyone thinks I`m making out I`m hard done by!

No idea of the payment arrangements here mind or whether Lineker & co are salaried or not.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not if you`re self employed they`re not. If I work away it all comes out of what I get for the job. The same with mileage etc., I don`t get an amount per mile like I did when I was on the books.

Not moaning about it though - it was my choice to start working for myself and don`t regret the decision just in case anyone thinks I`m making out I`m hard done by!

No idea of the payment arrangements here mind or whether Lineker & co are salaried or not.

So in the self employed case expenses mean lower income not higher.  You should make sure you're claiming the tax back on them though.

Maesknoll is right - If someone's earning more through expenses they're most likely committing an offence.

Just now, Nibor said:

So in the self employed case expenses mean lower income not higher.  You should make sure you're claiming the tax back on them though.

Maesknoll is right - If someone's earning more through expenses they're most likely committing an offence.

Pretty much it mate - I reckon the £500 I pay my accountant is the best value I get all year!

With regard to the second point, it depends. When I was on the books you got so much a mile but it was higher obviously than the petrol costs to allow for other motoring expenses and if we had to eat, stay overnight or whatever it was recompensed at a set amount - so much for a meal, so much for a night in a hotel etc. The way to make that pay is to live on chips and stay in a cheap B&B which is what I and many others did - I even used to camp sometimes during the summer!

You aren`t breaking the rules unless you are being remunerated based on receipts and are submitting higher ones than your actual spend - the other side of the coin is that you could stay in a five star hotel and eat in gourmet restaurants if you wanted. It would cost you far more than the set amount you were getting but it`s your choice.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Pretty much it mate - I reckon the £500 I pay my accountant is the best value I get all year!

With regard to the second point, it depends. When I was on the books you got so much a mile but it was higher obviously than the petrol costs to allow for other motoring expenses and if we had to eat, stay overnight or whatever it was recompensed at a set amount - so much for a meal, so much for a night in a hotel etc. The way to make that pay is to live on chips and stay in a cheap B&B which is what I and many others did - I even used to camp sometimes during the summer!

You aren`t breaking the rules unless you are being remunerated based on receipts and are submitting higher ones than your actual spend - the other side of the coin is that you could stay in a five star hotel and eat in gourmet restaurants if you wanted. It would cost you far more than the set amount you were getting but it`s your choice.

Mine always tells me I have to pay more tax...  makes me wonder why I need him!

You're more likely to lose money than make it on mileage these days, it has nowhere near kept pace with fuel.  And per diems like you describe used to be a way of making money (although essentially you're just choosing to eat worse and stay in worse accommodation in return so no overall benefit) but they are very much frowned upon now by HMRC so few companies will do them.  It's almost all receipts based, and even if the company were willing to be extravagant HMRC have guidelines for that too.

Basically these people earn lots of money, but that's life in the capitalist world when you're at the top of a profession that generates lots of money.  At least they're doing something for it rather than just leeching it off everyone else like investment bankers!

7 hours ago, TRL said:

It's public money. When it's over 150k all public sector employees have it published. If they don't like it don't work in the public sector.

Don't understand this obsession with "it's public money so we need to know". Why do we?

When we pay our TV licence we are paying for a service; namely TV and radio programming, online content, catch up, sport, news and weather. As long as we are satisfied with the output, why do we need to know how the funds are distributed to get us there?

Someone will have to show me a Sky TV package that includes all of the above - including FA Cup, 6 Nations, Prem highlights, Olympics, Wimbledon, World Cup, Euros, Rugby World Cup, Test Match Special and The Open golf - without any advertising - for £12 a month.

In comparison with any commercial TV company, the BBC is quite clearly outstanding value for money so I have no idea what this grotty little affair achieves other than to make the BBC less able to function.

Oh, and for those working in the private sector (like me) - do your shareholders know what you earn?

22 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

How people complain about the licence fee is beyond me. The website, the commentary of every City game and Test Match Special alone make it worth it imo. Easily!

If they would start allowing the commentaries on our away games to be listened to online outside the Radio Bristol area I`m with you! Why you can`t I have no idea.

On 20/07/2017 at 16:55, Red Right Hand said:

If they would start allowing the commentaries on our away games to be listened to online outside the Radio Bristol area I`m with you! Why you can`t I have no idea.

Not getting to many games now I'd be happy if they allowed the home games to be broadcast on line. I just thought it was contractual agreements when they were linked with the efl setup Not many other teams seem to have this limitation. 

19 minutes ago, Midred said:

Not getting to many games now I'd be happy if they allowed the home games to be broadcast on line. I just thought it was contractual agreements when they were linked with the efl setup Not many other teams seem to have this limitation. 

Not sure why it is mate. I could drive fifty miles up the road until I got into Radio Bristol/Somerset`s range and could sit in the car and listen to all the away games on the radio if I wanted so why can`t I do so sat in my kitchen listening on my lap top. I pay the same license fee as someone who lives in Bristol or Taunton and I can listen to commentaries on Exeter or Plymouth on Radio Devon if I want but fans of those clubs living in Bristol for instance can`t - it just seems barmy to me. I know I could get player or something but why should I have to pay for a service that my mum and my sister can get for free if they want just because of where they live.

it just seems odd that free to air commentary is available in one area but not in another and I`d love to know the rationale behind it.

Archived