IGNORED

4 year old with talent but a dilems

Mrdc

Our childminder thinks that our 4 year old girl is a rather talented footballer and a great tackler and we should get her involved in a local club and has already suggested one.

She has never really shown much interest before and when I have suggested her coming to Bristol to watch a city game, she's just not interested.

The problem is that we live within a 5 minute walk of the County Ground in Swindon....

When I found out this morning I had a melt down as I hate anything linked to Swindon Town and the thought of my kids getting involved in that grubby club sends my blood pressure through the roof.

What would you do?

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

Our childminder thinks that our 4 year old girl is a rather talented footballer and a great tackler and we should get her involved in a local club and has already suggested one.

She has never really shown much interest before and when I have suggested her coming to Bristol to watch a city game, she's just not interested.

The problem is that we live within a 5 minute walk of the County Ground in Swindon....

When I found out this morning I had a melt down as I hate anything linked to Swindon Town and the thought of my kids getting involved in that grubby club sends my blood pressure through the roof.

What would you do?

http://www.firststepssoccer.com/

In respects to participating in football introduce her to this.

7 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Move

That was my immediate thought but you beat me to it.......

Poor ol Boatman living in a shitehole like Swindon and to make things even more worse he's only 5mins from the County ground.......:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That was my immediate thought but you beat me to it.......

Poor ol Boatman living in a shitehole like Swindon and to make things even more worse he's only 5mins from the County ground.......:facepalm:

Swings and roundabouts innit. Mostly roundabouts though.

Get her involved in playing at a local club. It's perfectly possible she might enjoy playing but not watching. There have been well documented instances of professional footballers who don't even like the game (Assou-Ekotto springs to mind).

There's no reason why Swindon Town would need to be involved and even then the question would be "is their youth programme any good?". If it is then it doesn't matter what the club is. If she's good enough that Swindon are interested then other professional clubs probably will be too.

Being honest, I think one thing you should do is make sure she wants to do it first. I don't think it's a good idea to push your daughter into something she does not want to do, regardless of your childminder's view of her talent. Of course it might be that she doesn't want to watch the game but enjoys playing it!

5 hours ago, boatman said:

What would you do?

Your daughter would be at an immediate disadvantage as she only has 5 toes per foot.

5 hours ago, boatman said:

What would you do?

1) get her into football

2) if she starts at swinedon its close to home

3) apart from one other ground (currently in Bristol) things can only get better in the future.

4) make sure she has fun.

Does she like playing it? This is the absolute key. If she actually enjoys kicking a ball about, then perhaps take her along to a Vixens game so she can see that adult females can be footballers too if they want to. I know City just had an all girl football camp so there might be another one during the summer or she can play in the mixed camps which will be on.

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Being honest, I think one thing you should do is make sure she wants to do it first. I don't think it's a good idea to push your daughter into something she does not want to do, regardless of your childminder's view of her talent. Of course it might be that she doesn't want to watch the game but enjoys playing it!

Unless it's the piano. You will play the piano, because I gave up too early and I regret it!

2 hours ago, TRL said:

Your daughter would be at an immediate disadvantage as she only has 5 toes per foot.

Well she's 50% Bristolian and 50% from Trowbridge so I think she should be okay and has no Swindon blood on here.

She likes playing and said tonight that she would like to play football. So I think the solution is to find a local club but not the bellends just around the corner, eventhough practically it would be the closest place....

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

Would I be a pig headed idiot for so saying that she has to do it in Bristol due to my footballing allegencies?

It's possible. If she wants to do it bear in mind that a lot of her friends will be into Swindon and that kids hate being different. Grit you teeth and let it happen would be my advice. Anyhow, you can't think Swindon's that bad if you live there!

3 minutes ago, Calculus said:

It's possible. If she wants to do it bear in mind that a lot of her friends will be into Swindon and that kids hate being different. Grit you teeth and let it happen would be my advice. Anyhow, you can't think Swindon's that bad if you live there!

He might have been forced to move there under some sort of witness protection programme or something, you don`t know.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He might have been forced to move there under some sort of witness protection programme or something, you don`t know.

House prices being cheaper and my now wife was living here at the time.

Swindon is pretty grim but most people are okay. After our liaison with them a few years ago my hatred of them has gone through the roof.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ridiculous. If that were the case he'd be moved well away from the criminal elements...

15 minutes ago, boatman said:

Would I be a pig headed idiot for so saying that she has to do it in Bristol due to my footballing allegencies?

I played football all around Wiltshire and Swindon when I was younger but was City through and through. Deepest sympathies as I despise Swindon Town too.

2 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

I played football all around Wiltshire and Swindon when I was younger but was City through and through. Deepest sympathies as I despise Swindon Town too.

I think need to get her to a game this season just to drill into her who needs to support.

Just now, boatman said:

I think need to get her to a game this season just to drill into her who needs to support.

That's it really, get the City bug and there's no going back. 

By the way, haven't the amount of swindon fans gone quiet around here lately..

They're just after your cash mate. Tell them to do one and come back when she's not a toddler.

And with all due respect, your childminder is probably going out with a 'developement' coach who is on comission for every gullible parent who signs up for £30 a month.

Talents good, and to be 'spotted' at age of four is impressive/ frightening. 

But, if the talent is that good I would strongly suggest leaving the dilems behind. Sure that they can only be a negative impact. Bloody dilems.

Archived