IGNORED

The official Atletico Unión Güímar v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

Morning folks!

Well well. It's been a week of rain for us here in Blighty and a week of heat for City, both on and off the pitch. With the wild rumours of Flint and Joe being packed off to the land of Hovis and the fall out tweets from Mr Tomlin and Mr Pembo (for the record Kelly McGillis could handle a Maverick Pembo!), it's certainly been another eventful tour in Tenerife.

Today, it's our only tour friendly against Atletico Unión Güímar, a club formed by an amalgamation of two others 8 years ago. Just like our very own City was born over 100 years ago...

I have absolutely no idea who they are as everything I can find on Google about them is in Spanish and "una cerveza por favor" is my limit.

From what I can gather though, they don't play in any of the main leagues so I can only assume it will be similar competition to Bath City/Torquay United/BMF etc.

A tough test in a humid heat at altitude will be a different ball game for some of our boys. So I'm feeling a draw. 2-2.

Kick off is at 6pm - not sure if that's Spanish time so it could also be 5pm our time - and supporters still on their holibobs in Tenerife are welcome to attend. Game can be followed via Twitter and I'll try and post key tweets here...

Come on you reds or purples...

12 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Morning folks!

Well well. It's been a week of rain for us here in Blighty and a week of heat for City, both on and off the pitch. With the wild rumours of Flint and Joe being packed off to the land of Hovis and the fall out tweets from Mr Tomlin and Mr Pembo (for the record Kelly McGillis could handle a Maverick Pembo!), it's certainly been another eventful tour in Tenerife.

Today, it's our only tour friendly against Atletico Unión Güímar, a club formed by an amalgamation of two others 8 years ago. Just like our very own City was born over 100 years ago...

I have absolutely no idea who they are as everything I can find on Google about them is in Spanish and "una cerveza por favor" is my limit.

From what I can gather though, they don't play in any of the main leagues so I can only assume it will be similar competition to Bath City/Torquay United/BMF etc.

A tough test in a humid heat at altitude will be a different ball game for some of our boys. So I'm feeling a draw. 2-2.

Kick off is at 6pm - not sure if that's Spanish time so it could also be 5pm our time - and supporters still on their holibobs in Tenerife are welcome to attend. Game can be followed via Twitter and I'll try and post key tweets here...

Sorry Peg, missed Tomlin & Pembo's tweets...what did they say?

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Morning folks!

The Canary Islands are in the same time zone as the UK so kick off time is 6pm.

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Morning folks!

Tenerife is same time as us always.

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Tomlin responded with;

Pembo's tweet has been read as a dig at LJ etc...

As is just about everything else these days!

11 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Not sure this score helps St James Confidence. Is this a lesson or just abject humiliation.

It seems pretty pointless for both sides. Avoiding serious injuries is probably the main criterion for the city side now.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

I'd imagine that will be the case in the FC Twente game, not sure about today, against a team in the Spanish regional leagues

Obviously. But you want to do it more than once, and no point doing it against Cheltenham who lost to Bath midweek and are getting taught a lesson by Weston currently. 

Just now, EmersonsRed said:

Obviously. But you want to do it more than once, and no point doing it against Cheltenham who lost to Bath midweek and are getting taught a lesson by Weston currently. 

I'd rather we did it against Cheltenham, they will be of a higher standard than today's opponents.

We don't know the strength of the Cheltenham side for those games, so hard to read into that, but the quality in the Spanish leagues falls away much quicker than it does over here.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

I'd rather we did it against Cheltenham, they will be of a higher standard than today's opponents.

We don't know the strength of the Cheltenham side for those games, so hard to read into that, but the quality in the Spanish leagues falls away much quicker than it does over here.

We don't? You don't. I watched them v Bath and they were of a mixed strength, today pretty much full strength and didn't have a kick until Weston took off a couple of their better players at HT. Cheltenham are a conference side in the making. Believe me!! Harry Pell striker! D'oh

6 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

We don't? You don't. I watched them v Bath and they were of a mixed strength, today pretty much full strength and didn't have a kick until Weston took off a couple of their better players at HT. Cheltenham are a conference side in the making. Believe me!! Harry Pell striker! D'oh

fair enough if you do

Thought Pell was a midfielder? Though I also thought I read Cheltenham had a bit of an injury crisis at the moment, may be wrong though

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

fair enough if you do

Thought Pell was a midfielder? Though I also thought I read Cheltenham had a bit of an injury crisis at the moment, may be wrong though

Looks as though LJ agrees with me...

Strong side.

No Flint. Ellend Road bound? ;)

Archived