IGNORED

Transfer Policy Success or failure

rogerf

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Why?

It's not your money - it's not our money.

If your concern is with signings in general then o.k.- fair point because we haven't got to the  Prem and that must be what it's all about?But if it's purely about how much money we spend on any one player- I just need to understand why you may have a problem with this when it's not your/our money.

Read the title, Success or failure, is that not what we all care about in any sport. 

I don't have a problem with the money, as you state it is not mine

4 minutes ago, rogerf said:

I don't have an agenda, read my post I am just interested in other peoples views on the success or failure of the transfers as they see it.

I myself am not sure at this stage either way.

The transfer policy is not black or white so anyone that says it's been a success or a failure doesn't understand the idea behind it.

Its a long term strategy that will only prove successful or a failure over time.

Another topic that has no real meaning, how the hell can we judge the new recruits when he is still building a team to play in the style he wants? Probably you might be able to have a valid opinion mid season, or better still see how the whole season pans out. However what I have noticed is the whole team is a lot more fluid and sharper, so without the dead timber we had, we can hopefully make a better fist of it this season.

But Rome wasn't...

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Why?

It's not your money - it's not our money.

If your concern is with signings in general then o.k.- fair point because we haven't got to the  Prem and that must be what it's all about?But if it's purely about how much money we spend on any one player- I just need to understand why you may have a problem with this when it's not your/our money.

Come on...it's a business like any other, end result is all that matters, the 'consumer' doesn't care how much is ploughed into the product. Do you worry about how much the car you drive costed someone to produce ,or the TV you watch, no you don't. But we do as consumers spend money on quality, it's called business, it's not a charity where we are supposed to feel concern.

Bristol City supporters eh?:facepalm:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The transfer policy is not black or white so anyone that says it's been a success or a failure doesn't understand the idea behind it.

Its a long term strategy that will only prove successful or a failure over time.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Another topic that has no real meaning, how the hell can we judge the new recruits when he is still building a team to play in the style he wants? Probably you might be able to have a valid opinion mid season, or better still see how the whole season pans out. However what I have noticed is the whole team is a lot more fluid and sharper, so without the dead timber we had, we can hopefully make a better fist of it this season.

But Rome wasn't...

I accept we may well have to wait longer to be able to decide on success or failure with our recent signings I was seeking the views of others at this point in time. 

Every club has some success and failure in the transfer market but this is what will have a large influence on promotion and relegation.

2 minutes ago, rogerf said:

I accept we may well have to wait longer to be able to decide on success or failure with our recent signings I was seeking the views of others at this point in time. 

Every club has some success and failure in the transfer market but this is what will have a large influence on promotion and relegation.

Ok, here's my view.

From a point from 14/15 promotion where I naively thought we were more than good enough to be mid-table, we have been more active in the transfer market that we've ever been.  Knowing that this Championship is very competitive I'd say we have broke even (not financially).  I think overall we were below par, but I think the players brought in over the past 12 months (the young'uns are a year older / experienced), so I think that has brought us back up to par.

There is room for improvement - I hate to say it Barnsley up to now are the model.  However we'll see the slightly longer term affect of the likes of Hourihane, Bree, Winnall leaving last season and Roberts this season, no Armstrong etc.  Who knows, their model might have peaked?

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Forget about what has come before. Have we done enough in this window to avoid a very similar relagation battle to last season? I would say not. Think we are 3 more players short.

Where would you say we're three players short?

20 hours ago, rogerf said:

Big Money signings under Lee Johnson

Lee Tomlin - Hörður Magnússon - Gustav Engvall - Callum O’Dowda - Taylor Moore

Regulars under Steve Cotterill and still in the First Team

Frank Fielding – Joe Bryan – Aden Flint – Korey Smith – Marlon Pack

What does this say about our transfer policy and making sure players are the right fit for the club and have the right DNA etc. etc.

How many of our big money signings in the last year have improved the team?

We still seem to be reliant on the core of our promotion squad.

Our big money signings have not really had significant impact when you consider the financial outlay.

None of the big money signings have become automatic selections every game and some have had little or no Impact. 

Some of these signings seem to have been completely frozen out, Hörður Magnússon - Gustav Engvall - Taylor Moore and of course Lee Tomlin has now gone.

What can we really expect from Famara Diedhiou will he follow the same pattern?

I am not one of Lee Johnson’s biggest fans but I have been patient in the hope that he will learn and things will improve, but when you look at the success of his signings

I am worried that we may be heading for another relegation fight that we may not win this time.  

As a whole, I'm happy with our transfer activity. First of all, they sign for Bristol City, not a given manager. Although obviously some managers are better at selling the club they are working at than others. I do think we went a bit too heavy on youth lasts pre season. But I'm confident that will come to fruition with either results or profit in the future. The transfers that could be held up as unsuccessful would probably be Tomlin, 99% of the fan base wanted him ( including me ), O'Neill ( same again) but hopefully a fit O'Neil can contribute regularly like he did at the start of last season,  Matthews ( see before, although only a loan thank god!) & the there is Gustav. In many ways the most disappointing. So overall I'm happy at the minute, but as always, there is room for improvement! COYR 

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Right winger, goalkeeper, creative midfielder. Possibly left back.

Agree about another goalkeeper but virtually every other club are after a creative midfielder. Not sure City need another winger tho.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Agree about another goalkeeper but virtually every other club are after a creative midfielder. Not sure City need another winger tho.

I can only think of odowda and Patterson and not sold on callum just yet. Bryan needa to up his game he was rubbish last season.

Attacking CMs are a rare breed i agree hope we've got something bubbling before the window's shut. 

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I can only think of odowda and Patterson and not sold on callum just yet. Bryan needa to up his game he was rubbish last season.

Attacking CMs are a rare breed i agree hope we've got something bubbling before the window's shut. 

Paterson is a versatile player. He can play wide or as an attacking midfielder. O'Dowda has loads of potential and looked better as he gained SBC experience last season.

I imagine LJ sees a midfield combination of Korey Smith, Brownhill, Pack, GoN and probably Reid if he's not converted into a striker. Hegelar can play there as well but I'm pretty sure he'll be used as a defender this season.

That said, I'm sure that if a decent CM became available LJ would be interested - just as most SBC clubs would.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Paterson is a versatile player. He can play wide or as an attacking midfielder. O'Dowda has loads of potential and looked better as he gained SBC experience last season.

I imagine LJ sees a midfield combination of Korey Smith, Brownhill, Pack, GoN and probably Reid if he's not converted into a striker. Hegelar can play there as well but I'm pretty sure he'll be used as a defender this season.

That said, I'm sure that if a decent CM became available LJ would be interested - just as most SBC clubs would.

Ok you seem more confident than I, so happy with what youve said. 

What's SBC? 

For me its hard to say what's needed because we don't even know our formation. Spelt all of last season chopping and changing and are none the wiser even now. 

GK & another striker is a minimum for me. Probably an attacking CM too but who knows if we'll be playing a position where one could be needed ahead of Pack/GO'N/Smith/Hegeler 

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

For me its hard to say what's needed because we don't even know our formation. Spelt all of last season chopping and changing and are none the wiser even now. 

GK & another striker is a minimum for me. Probably an attacking CM too but who knows if we'll be playing a position where one could be needed ahead of Pack/GO'N/Smith/Hegeler 

I think that last season LJ was looking to find out about the players during actual SBC matches. Their attitude, engine, commitment and ability to play the role allocated to them. That's what led to so many changes both with the starting 11 and the formation in an effort to find the right combination. He got there eventually.......

He won't have the same problem this season. He knows the players he can rely on having seen most of them last season. 

Most teams have a variety of formations but essentially they're all variations of 4-4-2.......

Just now, Robbored said:

I think that last season LJ was looking to find out about the players during actual SBC matches. Their attitude, engine, commitment and ability to play the role allocated to them. That's what led to so many changes both with the starting 11 and the formation in an effort to find the right combination. He got there eventually.......

He won't have the same problem this season. He knows the players he can rely on having seen most of them last season. 

Most teams have a variety of formations but essentially they're all variations of 4-4-2.......

I'm really not sure on that RR. He said he knew 'who he could trust' after about 4 different games last year. 

He seems hell bent on wing backs but who knows if Pisano will be a good one/can even play RWB, and JB had a horrendous time at LWB last year. 

Archived