IGNORED

Strike Partnership

MyBrotherErnie

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree with you James, this is a big season for Bobby. I'm not sure if it will work having him up front - time will obviously tell. But I'm also not sure about his finishing, or composure....look at the vid below from 38 seconds in, he showed good composure but not a brill finish, although the keeper did well. Never thought we'd be debating Bobby as a striker! Who knows...

Mind you, Flint's positioning a few seconds after that on the vid left a lot to be desired too!

Why I think the issue is composure rather than finishing is that most of his big misses last season, were (from memory) when he had very little time.

We've seen in this pre-season he can finish when he has a little time to think.

I feel at this present moment our best bet is Taylor partnering Fammy. Watching Fammy against Yeovil he looked more of a target man so might be too much of a similar player. Reid I'm sorry will never be the answer, not in midfield, and definitely not up front. The other option of course is Vassell from Luton who I feel if we really wanted to bring him in, we could. 

12 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

I feel at this present moment our best bet is Taylor partnering Fammy. Watching Fammy against Yeovil he looked more of a target man so might be too much of a similar player. Reid I'm sorry will never be the answer, not in midfield, and definitely not up front. The other option of course is Vassell from Luton who I feel if we really wanted to bring him in, we could. 

Don't know anything about Vassell TBH, what is it about him that makes you think he could make it here?. Looks like he's only had 1 season at league 2 level scoring 8 in 40. He's only 6 months younger than Reid as well. Wiki has him as winger/striker. Is he more adept at coming in from wide or playing through the middle?

As I say, I'd never heard of him until a few days back so wouldn't mind a review. 

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I had Durex & Dildo down as our first choice front pair if they were both fit.

One is more of a stopper the other can be a bit of a dick and can't be relied on to score regularly on their own - they need someone else to lend a hand. 

I've always rated Bobby. I've also been taken to account on here for stating it on here. He has the ability to find space, he is a forward thinking player. He is going to give the ball away occasionally, players like that do. They see passes that are risky, it's about knowing when to attempt that pass. For me, he is a number 10, just off/behind the main striker. He also has high energy and will press when needed. Something that our old number 10 might not of & something that I think we will base our style on this season. I'm going to stick my head out here ( go easy on me! ), if Bobby is played there regularly, he will get at least 10 goals & a number of assists. Tin hat firmly on! COYR 

24 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Don't know anything about Vassell TBH, what is it about him that makes you think he could make it here?. Looks like he's only had 1 season at league 2 level scoring 8 in 40. He's only 6 months younger than Reid as well. Wiki has him as winger/striker. Is he more adept at coming in from wide or playing through the middle?

As I say, I'd never heard of him until a few days back so wouldn't mind a review. 

Sacrilege, NO ONE is younger than Young Bobby.:ranting:

7 hours ago, generation1 said:

as usual negative vibes invade a thread, it seems the pattern all the way on the forum. the people expressing them always say they are debate points but are nearly always the same authors.

been around this club a long time and nothing has changed in the eyes of many. no matter who the manager is or the team are we seem to look for the negatives.

the season is yet to start lets give it a chance and by the way if you are ready to give up if it is a poor start how can you expect different from those you will be slating.

You can`t come on here writing your sensible views.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If you read some posts properly, not everyone being positive about him is going as far as calling them the messiah.  Some of us are saying he has given us an 'option' during an small injury crisis to our forward line.  Take away Tomlin's (messiah??) penalties last season and Reid's goal return was better, plus he ran around a lot more too.

He isn't a long term answer, but you can't just go out and bring players in willy-nilly either.

It's not a case of bringing in players willy nilly. City have Taylor, Engvall, Patterson,  O'Dowda, Diedhiou and Wilbraham, who are forwards or attacking midfield players. All have signed during LJ's term as manager. Even allowing for injuries it says a lot about LJ's transfer strategy that even with these 6 players the Peter Pan of Bristol City, Bobby Reid, is in with a chance of starting the first league match.  

55 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It's not a case of bringing in players willy nilly. City have Taylor, Engvall, Patterson,  O'Dowda, Diedhiou and Wilbraham, who are forwards or attacking midfield players. All have signed during LJ's term as manager. Even allowing for injuries it says a lot about LJ's transfer strategy that even with these 6 players the Peter Pan of Bristol City, Bobby Reid, is in with a chance of starting the first league match.  

Taylor, Engvall and Wilbs have all had injuries this summer. Paterson (on the left) and Diedhiou (number 9) are pretty much nailed on to play v Barnsley I reckon. I think O'Dowda is more of a wide player than a number 10. So given all of that, I don't think it is such a massive surprise that Reid is in with a chance of starting the first league match, especially given his form pre-season. 

I'm not sure what the club plans for Bobby this season, I guess it will depend if we are able to get anyone else in. But I do think they have wheeled Bobby into the limelight a bit more than usual, he's usually dipping under the radar. Could be an indication of him being used more promanantly?

17 hours ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

Early days I know, but is anyone else hopeful about Reid and Diedhieou as a front 2? I think the combination of Reid's pace and creativity, and Famara's finishing and strength could help us be more threatening and versatile in attack. Also it looks like they're starting to bond which is always important. Without Tammy, we're going to need more goals from all over the park, but if these two step up we could have a very positive season.

Capture.JPG

Obviously a photoshopped picture.

Those are Kruls arms.

17 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

If Bobby Reid is our answer for a Championship striker we will be playing league one football next season. Goals against Bath, Bristol Manor Farm, Exeter and some shite Spanish team proves nothing.:facepalm:

He scored 6 goals last season which was from the midfield and showed a lot of promise. There have been plenty of players who have charged position and really clubs their calling, even Shearer was a goalkeeper in his early career. Give the lad a chance, he's passionate, driven and works hard and can only score against what's put in front of him. 

3 hours ago, eardun said:

Taylor, Engvall and Wilbs have all had injuries this summer. Paterson (on the left) and Diedhiou (number 9) are pretty much nailed on to play v Barnsley I reckon. I think O'Dowda is more of a wide player than a number 10. So given all of that, I don't think it is such a massive surprise that Reid is in with a chance of starting the first league match, especially given his form pre-season. 

Thanks, saved me the typing! :P

Perhaps he's thought the others are settled into positions that suit the shape, and Bobby is the expendable one to gamble on seeing if he can play close to Diedhiou.

All he's done is work hard and given the manager an option, whilst the plethora of injured strikers attempt to get fit.  Plenty on here are keen to see McCoulsky given a go.  I like the fantasy of it, but I'd rather start with Reid if Taylor isn't ready.

of course we go 1 up top :whistle:

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

What a nasty little thread this turned into.  A load of people slating a player who is scoring goals in pre-season friendlies.  I would love it if he shoved those words down a few people's throats.

Yeah I agree totally.  Bobby Reid is a professional footballer the lack of respect on here for one of our own is baffling.  He really cant do anymore than provide LJ a headache for selection.  Its pre season and games against lower league opposition and things are tried.  Some come off some do not.  LJ has probably dangled a carrot in front of BR and he has grasped that opportunity, he deserves praise not a bashing.

Bobby has  the knack of getting into goalscoring positions  every match   if he could only put the ball in the net  just50% of thetime he would be getting 15/20 a season  I never felt that he could play in the same match as Lee Tomlin    so reckon its time to  slot in up front or  the Top of the mid field role  This has to be the season that is the making of Bobby !

If we are starting the new season with Bobby in the team up top or as a number 10 then we have either had a bloody bad summer in the transfer market or an injury crisis.

We need to move forward with better quality players... and that is not Bobby.

He is a squad player at best.

LJ is taking a big gamble.. fair play if it pays off but take a look at Bobby's goal scoring record in a City shirt...can't see it being the best.

10 minutes ago, Bristol_Badger said:

If we are starting the new season with Bobby in the team up top or as a number 10 then we have either had a bloody bad summer in the transfer market or an injury crisis.

We need to move forward with better quality players... and that is not Bobby.

He is a squad player at best.

LJ is taking a big gamble.. fair play if it pays off but take a look at Bobby's goal scoring record in a City shirt...can't see it being the best.

We have an injury crisis

Think 5 aug we play Bobby- Famara or Gustav- Famara upfront. Reid done well so far, think he starts. Not good teams we met but he scores all the time. Taylor, Đurić injuried, options is BR and GE. Dont Think Wilbs is  not in the plans to start. If we got a new fw in, then maybe different. Think it looks ok with our forwards. Famara, Đurić, Taylor, Engvall. Reid fw surprise for me but it can work, Wilbs backup. All these players can score and thats its all about. Cruyf said once, its only one ball and you got to have it. 433, 424, 541 or whatever. Ok, thats tacticts and another story, he he.

Archived