IGNORED

Premier League Spending

MC RISK77

Has just gone bonkers this summer and clearly it is now as wide a gap as it ever has been. Some of the transfers have been crazy, Man City  breaking the transfer record for defenders twice. I saw last night Everton bid 45m for sigurdsson...good player but 45m?

Then we have players like arnautavic going for 24m when again I don't see much in him at all.

I have heard many people say it will have to stop at some point, but surely it will only continue to get more extravagant.

it does make Leicester's title win look even more freaky.

It's disgusting the amount of money being spent for 'success'. It's foreign owners wanting a new toy and ruining it for the rest of us. It's only really over here though, other countries keep prices fairly low overall. 

When youthink, 20 years ago, Alan shearer for £15 mil was a world record and turning heads, and he is one of the best strikers ever. Now you get overrated tossers like John stones and raheem sterling for £50 mil!! And it's spent like it's pocket money. I can't stand the premier league anymore and never really watch it, I never recognise any of the foreign names and the overall style and fun of it has turned into a puddle of piss. I could rant all day!! 

20 minutes ago, ElTanko said:

It's disgusting the amount of money being spent for 'success'. It's foreign owners wanting a new toy and ruining it for the rest of us. It's only really over here though, other countries keep prices fairly low overall. 

When youthink, 20 years ago, Alan shearer for £15 mil was a world record and turning heads, and he is one of the best strikers ever. Now you get overrated tossers like John stones and raheem sterling for £50 mil!! And it's spent like it's pocket money. I can't stand the premier league anymore and never really watch it, I never recognise any of the foreign names and the overall style and fun of it has turned into a puddle of piss. I could rant all day!! 

The spending gets more and more ridiculous every year, but you get Sky and BBC telling every one how great it is. These clubs are financed like a pack of cards , no champions league football for a period of time, and they're likely to collapse.

The spending of the premier league, has a knock on effect into our league, and lower leagues. It truly is an monster that doesn't appear to be managed.

As awful as it sounds I look forward to the day a premier league club goes bust, it should wake a few up. Much rather that than a lower league team who struggle to compete because of the monster called the premier league.

They will all be projecting increased revenues from having that player that will more than cover their costs.

As long as club incomes are expanding and debt is cheap it will continue working.

If revenues start falling and interest rates start rising then some will go bust.

The big threat to the usual suspects  IMO is the Chinese super league who have money to burn and are trying to pull in all the star players; if that starts getting significant TV interest then big-spending European clubs will start struggling.

It really is obscene now, especially when clubs like Leyton Orient nearly go to the wall for owing sums that are so, so paltry in comparison to the sums premier league clubs are spending and premier league players are earning. They just don't care about clubs lower down the ladder.

And these premier league players are probably getting around 15% of their transfer fee as a signing on fee. And then a 'loyalty' bonus is written into their contracts for every season they stay etc and then they get their obscene weekly salary etc...it's ridiculous.

It was always great in the past to see someone like Liverpool pluck an unknown from Chester City and turn him into a world class player - Ian Rush....

Probably won't ever happen again at the top level....

1 hour ago, daored said:

The spending gets more and more ridiculous every year, but you get Sky and BBC telling every one how great it is. These clubs are financed like a pack of cards , no champions league football for a period of time, and they're likely to collapse.

The spending of the premier league, has a knock on effect into our league, and lower leagues. It truly is an monster that doesn't appear to be managed.

As awful as it sounds I look forward to the day a premier league club goes bust, it should wake a few up. Much rather that than a lower league team who struggle to compete because of the monster called the premier league.

The reality is I can't ever see a premier league club ever going bust, they just tumble down the leagues year after year until they get to the foot of the football league then go bust, at this point the world has forgotten about them and the big wigs don't give a sh#t.

27 minutes ago, Judda said:

With all the tv money they've been given wouldn't it have been great if clubs decided to slash ticket prices instead of inflating already silly transfer prices...

It's an interesting debate.  The flip side of the argument is that because of the demand for tickets at premier league matches that if tickets were cheaper they would end up in the hands of touts, who would then sell onto 'premier league tourists' for inflated costs because the demand is there.  This will result in the true supporter of the club loosing out and not being able to watch their team at an affordable price.

TV revenues are high because the premier league can offer decent, competitive football with full grounds; it makes for good TV.  For it to be competitive all the EPL clubs need a stack of cash or you'll end up like other European leagues with a few good teams and the rest seemingly cannon fodder. 

Something needs to be done, but just lowering prices isn't necessarily the answer.

On the Sigurdsson deal say it were a 5 year contract, rather than £45m it would go in their books as £9m per season for the next 5 seasons, much more manageable with the amount in player sales they've receiving. 

2 hours ago, ElTanko said:

People buying SKY and BT subscriptions are just as much a part of the problem.

To me it's lately it's not been so much about the talent of the player but more the status of 'look at us we've spent x Million pounds'. There are a few talented players who you would obviously expect to command large fees but most seem mediocre players moving for the sake of it between clubs. Man City spend x million, so Chelsea got to be seen as spending more for example. One upmanship at its worse. I hope it all falls down around them.

I think the bulk of Man City and Chelsea's signings are pretty good tbh. Too much of course but rising stars, high potential- shone in the CL last year, a higher level than the PL currently. Or in the PL in Walker's case. Danilo is overpriced for sure though- even though they all are really- but even in that context, he's overpriced as he didn't play too much last season for Madrid, especially not in the main competitions.

On the wider point though, it's all nuts. Surely has to stop at some point you would think...

One other surprising observation- thusfar it seems not to have distorted the European competitions too much. Man City spend, and spend and spend- lose to Monaco who admittedly had a billionaire financing them briefly but went down a very different path in 2014, or 2015. Chelsea haven't gone beyond the quarter finals since 2013-14 though I suspect the latter will certainly change this season.

Mind you it's not just our PL. PSG are one of the very worst culprits. Story today that they are 'only' offering Verratti + £90m for Neymar. I guess reality bit in the case of the buyout clause.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They will all be projecting increased revenues from having that player that will more than cover their costs.

As long as club incomes are expanding and debt is cheap it will continue working.

If revenues start falling and interest rates start rising then some will go bust.

The big threat to the usual suspects  IMO is the Chinese super league who have money to burn and are trying to pull in all the star players; if that starts getting significant TV interest then big-spending European clubs will start struggling.

Think the Chinese Super League has already been and gone now. 

They're now going to be taxed 100% on any signing aren't they? So not sure how sustainable that will be for them anymore. 

The other day on Talksport. Andy Goldstein was saying how the money has got a bit stupid, and that 10% of every fee should go to Grassroots football. I think this is a great idea,  but 10% might be too much. Would you even trust those at the FA to make sure this actually goes where it would be meant to?

Just 1 or even 2% of every transfer would be plenty and would really help the game in this country. No more of Kids having to pay subs to play football, decent pitches being looked after.

Also could help to bring the cost of getting badges down. Not enough coaches in this country. 

12 hours ago, hodge said:

On the Sigurdsson deal say it were a 5 year contract, rather than £45m it would go in their books as £9m per season for the next 5 seasons, much more manageable with the amount in player sales they've receiving. 

But then surely any player sales should be worked on that measure. So £75m for Lukaku becomes £15m per season over 5 years.

21 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

With the insane money that the top clubs paying, it makes West Ham's signing of Hernandes look like a bargain at 16mil.

Scored 39 in 76 games in the Bundesliga since leaving Man U.

Hell he's nearly in our price bracket:whistle:

.........but his £140,000 per week wages aren't!

Capitalism.

Those at the top just get richer and those at the bottom (Leyton Orient) get poorer.

Sadly it's filtering into the Championship, and I am glad City aren't one of them sides who just spend spend spend on big wages anymore.

One day there will be a big revolt I hope and Football League clubs break away from the 'Best League in the World' 

9 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Capitalism.

Those at the top just get richer and those at the bottom (Leyton Orient) get poorer.

Sadly it's filtering into the Championship, and I am glad City aren't one of them sides who just spend spend spend on big wages anymore.

One day there will be a big revolt I hope and Football League clubs break away from the 'Best League in the World' 

My suspicion is that one day there will be a big  revolt, but it will the very big clubs breaking away from the rest of the prem and the football league and together with the likes of Barc, Real M, Juve Bayern etc. they  form, what they will believe to be  "the best league in the world". 

Part of me thinks it can come soon enough, because Man U, Man City, Chelsea et al operate in a different football world then clubs like ours and one that realistically we can never be a part of.

9 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Capitalism.

True, but it's always been the case.

Go back to the late 70s, Liverpool (yes, my other team @BS4 on Tour... :P) were one of the wealthiest around, albeit not to the degree of today's riches.

Along came the nouveau riche (spelling?) in Nottingham Forest, backed by wealthy local business, signing Shilton for c£300k, a record for a keeper at the time, and paying big wages to players, culminating in the signing of Trevor Francis for £1m and European Cup glory twice.

You could sort of compare them to Man City, who despite a better heritage, have come from mediocrity to upset the established four of Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea (nouveau riche themselves) and Liverpool...in terms of Champions League qualification.

It is perverse, and in some ways why I love the EFL, it's a bit more real.  There was a time when I'd watch as many Prem games on Sky as possible.  It's lost its appeal.  WBA v Burnley on tv, no appeal whatsoever.  I will still try and watch Liverpool games.

But as an average football fan, I don't really matter.

I've really enjoyed my resurgent watching of City, triggered by Joe's interest in going to games since the dark days of SOD in 13/14 season.  What a baptism.  I loved the fact that the players were approachable before games, would come and have a natter  to us in the tin shack wheelchair area in the Atyeo.  It felt real, and when you go to Old Trafford (Joe likes Man Utd :grr:) and you can't get within 20 yards of the players entering the ground, it feels sterile.  They don't get out of their cars and walk through, they turn up in a coach, and are ushered through the entrance by a load of stewards who would give Patrick at Odyssey a run for his money as jobsworths, not allowing anyone to wave an autograph book in their direction.  It's a bit soul-less. 

I know the Championship has become massively financially dependent but it's still got some roots.

Long may that continue.....

It is nuts. Crazy spending but generally it is an English thing. You dont see Bayern or Juventus spending 50 million on the likes of Kyle Walker. Bonnuci (class defender) 30 million, Walker 50 Million. No logic. Barkley, Sigurdson are not worth 50 million either. Stupid money. 

This is why our game is in trouble, as this is money coming out of the game lining the pockets of agents and players. The TV bubble will burst at some point, it always does..... I think the FA and Premier League should look at bringing in a salary cap and also making it mandatory to have a certain number of young players in the first team, as they do in Germany. It is crazy for these clubs to hoover up all the young players and never play them. If Tammy was German he would be playing in the Bundesliga right now, yet he has no chance at Chelsea and will just be sent out on loan year after year....such a shame. How many of our U21 players are first team regulars = not many.  

The authorities should also look at the parachute payments. It gives clubs coming out of the PL such an unfair advantage. Middlesborough and Sunderland got about 100 milion each for being relegated! They will then get a cut of the PL TV money as parachute payments for the next 3 seasons. Middlesborough have already spent 40 million.... crazy money. Creates a distorted market and an uneven playing field. 

On 25/07/2017 at 07:27, Eddie Hitler said:

I can't see the Chinese league taking off commercially either domestically or internationally. 

I think the greatest threat to Premier football would be the masses becoming sick of the extravagance and stopping their subscriptions. I seriously hope this happens. I'd love to see Man City or Chelsea go to the wall, and bring some sort of reality back to the game and some even distribution. 

For me though it's the whole Prem that needs to do one essentially.

Smaller clubs have sold their soul to simply try and compete with the big boys. For example Southampton and Bournemouth.

I NEVER want Bristol City to become like them, I would not care if we never reached 'the big time'.

Archived