IGNORED

Grandad What was football like in the 1970's book published

See that thread about Premier League spending to see what football was not like in the 70s'.

Back then we had:

Players playing for their home town club.

Teams full of British players and many with just English players.

British managers at the majority of clubs, including the top clubs.

Players able to play on any surface and in any conditions and able to make a ball move in the air and not just because they are kicking a beachball.

Fans feeling a proper connection with the team

One club players.

Clubs owned by local businessmen made good - luckily some clubs still enjoy this!

Players negotiating contracts themselves

Players able to relate to the fans and visa versa

The ability to get the bus to the game, buy your ticket, get fish and chips on the way home and still have change from half a crown.

Preseason spent entirely in the UK

No social media/internet

Proper and informed  coverage in the local press

You didn't need a calculator to work out players' wages

Dubbin

Terraces

Proper tackling

Tackles that were not booking offences

MOTD featuring games outside the top flight

Of course we had other things as well:

Toilets that should have been condemned as a health hazzard

Hooliganism

No Sky

No foreign owners

No Asian markets

This is not an exhaustive list so feel free to add your own thoughts.

50 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Back then we had:

Players able to play on any surface and in any conditions and able to make a ball move in the air and not just because they are kicking a beachball.

Nodded at your list but I thought the point regarding the ball was interesting. Modern balls are not lighter. The weight of the ball is the same due to regulation. Modern footballs do not necessarily move more. The foreign hexagonal design moves more than a panel (English) design if it has more panels. More panels normally means more aerodynamic stability. Each season brings new balls and differing designs and some do more than others do.

Improving techniques has led to entirely new skill - The knuckleball where the ball is struck entirely differently to prevent the ball rotating leading to swing in the air.

As somebody who is old enough to remember sodden balls with laces who now coaches modern footballs are infinitely superior, and above all more fun to use.

Seems pretty interesting. A book I will get I think.

I wasn't around in 70s but football then did seem fun from what I've read, heard, seen of it on old TV shows. Such as old MOTD and Big Match Revisited.

Agree with a fair few of the pros, would be interesting though to see how players then who were not exactly averse to booze, pies, smoking and so on would do in today's quick yet ultra tactical game on pristine pitches...

However at the same time, how many of today's players with these in-built advantages- would prosper on those boggy pitches, with more robust challenges allowed? Two totally different games...

Local press? That's a wider decline and quite incidental, though the Post has gone downhill especially. But what with social media and the like, the whole press is facing huge challenges, especially at local level.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

See that thread about Premier League spending to see what football was not like in the 70s'.

Back then we had:

One club players.

Clubs owned by local businessmen made good - luckily some clubs still enjoy this!

The ability to get the bus to the game, buy your ticket, get fish and chips on the way home and still have change from half a crown.

No social media/internet

Dubbin

Terraces

Proper tackling

Hooliganism

No Sky

No foreign owners

No Asian markets

"No SKY" should really be listed under the positive things.

As Downend City said above and I'd add that special training for FA Cup ties was a visit to Weston-Super-Mud for a run along the beach followed by brine baths, cleaned up sea water, in the Knightstone Baths. They may not have even taken a football with them.

And a City goalkeeper who disappeared into the dressing toilet, ten minutes before kick-off for a pre match Woodbine.

Nostalgia is great but this is today and I'm still feeling a buzz about our first home game and the start of a new season.

Personally I find it difficult to compare the two era's. Back in the 70s everything was sooo archaic and we were all much younger then and saw things differently. It never occurred to me that standing in pools of other people's piss was unacceptable or that brawling with opposition fans was anything but normal. It's hard to remember what the standard was like either.

Id say the whole matchday experience is better now and that's largely because I'm older and the things I enjoyed when in my 20s no longer apply. 

That said, I get as much enjoyment these days as I did back in the 70s  but it's a different kind of enjoyment.

Watching games from the 70's as currently shown on BT Sports 2, I notice the pitches were rougher and tackles tougher, but players coped with both. Shirts had a far more pleasing appearance with ONLY the club badge on them. No need (usually) to book seats in advance , so if a friend decided on the day to come with you, there'd be no problem sitting or standing together.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

As Downend City said above and I'd add that special training for FA Cup ties was a visit to Weston-Super-Mud for a run along the beach followed by brine baths, cleaned up sea water, in the Knightstone Baths. They may not have even taken a football with them.

And a City goalkeeper who disappeared into the dressing toilet, ten minutes before kick-off for a pre match Woodbine.

Nostalgia is great but this is today and I'm still feeling a buzz about our first home game and the start of a new season.

Nostalgia... It isn't what it used to be.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Personally I find it difficult to compare the two era's. Back in the 70s everything was sooo archaic and we were all much younger then and saw things differently. It never occurred to me that standing in pools of other people's piss was unacceptable or that brawling with opposition fans was anything but normal. It's hard to remember what the standard was like either.

Id say the whole matchday experience is better now and that's largely because I'm older and the things I enjoyed when in my 20s no longer apply. 

That said, I get as much enjoyment these days as I did back in the 70s  but it's a different kind of enjoyment.

That is so true.

One major difference then was the ball, it was heavier and moved much slower. Although, the pitches certainly didn't help!

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

Back then we had:

One club players.

No social media/internet

Dubbin

Terraces

Proper tackling

Hooliganism

No Sky

No foreign owners

No Asian markets

There was actually a ban on foreign players during the 70s. I cant quite remember when it came in - the only foreign player I remember was Carlo Sartori at Manchester United, but I think even he was raised in England- but it must have been lifted in 78 when Ardiles and Villa came over- and Alberto Tarantini at the same time I think.

Archived