IGNORED

The official Cheltenham Town FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly aka Johnson Cup match day thread

BCFC_Josh

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Never have I had any interest pre season. They're useful for match fitness and a chance for the coaches to see fringe players but that's it.

I simply don't understand why some posters see them as a big deal. To me everything about this type of match is completely meaningless. 

I didn't even realise City were playing tonight.

Then why the **** do you bother reading and posting on a thread entitled "The official Cheltenham Town FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly"????

:dunno:

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Red, all I posted was my questioning a fan who took a meaningless game seriously enough to write a report and inadvertently stirred up a hornets nest.

Thats otib for you........

If the game was so meaningless, what were you doing reading your way through the meaningless' game thread? ;)

Besides, that was not a match report, I can do marks out of 10 if you want?

Just a few very quick opinions for anyone interested in how preseason is progressing and some of our youngsters are developing. 

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My disdain for pre season matches is anything but random. I can't remember ever seeing one not in 50+ years of attending AG.

If you ain't seen one Robbo in 50 years you can't really be opinionated about them.....I quite like going myself it's a good chance to see young players like Lloyd Kelly playing with  Aden Flint and make an informed opinion on Bobby Reid being a striker..It's also stress free

1 minute ago, kevthered said:

If you ain't seen one Robbo in 50 years you can't really be opinionated about them.....I quite like going myself it's a good chance to see young players like Lloyd Kelly playing with  Aden Flint and make an informed opinion on Bobby Reid being a striker..It's also stress free

So me saying that pre season friendlies are meaningless isn't an opinion?      

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

If the game was so meaningless, what were you doing reading your way through the meaningless' game thread? ;)

Besides, that was not a match report, I can do marks out of 10 if you want?

Just a few very quick opinions for anyone interested in how preseason is progressing and some of our youngsters are developing. 

What did you make of Diedhiou and Engvall in particular? What's their style of play?

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Couple of observations from the game - first 30 minutes was an exercise in playing the ball across the back 5 to Neuer in goal. We were very narrow in the first half and lacked any sort of pace of urgency in our play. Famara and Gustav chasing scraps in th first half.

Second half with Bobby (for Famara), Pato (for Brownhill who again doesn't look his best out wide) and Korey (Pack) we were instantly more dangerous and energetic.

Of the youngersters who had chance to shine, thought Kelly had a good game, some nice touches. Lost his confidence at one point after getting caught out but came back into the game and offered much more, especially going forward than Vyner, who I thought looked very average tonight. I can't see Vyner as a CB yet, not imposing enough for me. Joe Morrell came in and out of the game but looked good on the ball and industrious.

Hats off to Gustav. Worked hard, showed some good touches and very nice interchange and took his goals well. More of the same. He seemed to have his head down a bit, even when he scored, but everyone seemed got behind him and plenty of back slapping on the bench when he was subbed.

Trialist - young winger, left footed but played wide right. Had 10/15 mins so difficult to judge, looked small and a little light weight but put in a good shift and had a nice touch.

Thanks Alessandro, nice to get some views from people who've been to the match.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Thanks for the rmatch report but it was a pre season friendly ffs........Why bother?     :dunno:

Why are you such a cock?  Just scroll down, in fact "why bother" (your words not mine) to even open up a thread about a pre-season friendly ffs (your words not mine) if you've no interest. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If you're a troll, I admire your dedication in a way. 

If you aren't.. I'm constantly confused by your bizarre remarks.

Obviously people want to know how the players are getting on, especially Diedhiou, Engvall, Reid, the trialist.. it's only the second time all pre-season we've played mildly competitive opposition so it's interesting to see how the team are progressing.

Attention seeker is my guess.  Same old posts over and over again.

Gets on my tits.

i expect to be called a snowflake in response!

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

For the love of Basso, can someone explain about the things that actually matter. Like the pigeon!

Landed on the pitch could barely fly then got hit kicked, last seen still on the pitch. Keep checking the RIP thread.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks Alessandro, nice to get some views from people who've been to the match.

Why are you such a cock?  Just scroll down, in fact "why bother" (your words not mine) to even open up a thread about a pre-season friendly ffs (your words not mine) if you've no interest. 

Attention seeker is my guess.  Same old posts over and over again.

Gets on my tits.

i expect to be called a snowflake in response!

You snowflake :P

With the risk of annoying others I just thought I would offer my opinion of the game tonight. 

Thought Kelly was okay, someone else mentioned his head dropping in the first half after he lost the ball a few times and as stated he showed guts to keep asking for the ball and showing. 

Zac was steady and I thought the better "defender" of the two full backs, don't really see either as being ready for the first team but they both have enough about them to suggest they will get a chance at some point. 

Morrell was busy, great engine and really box to box, thought he put himself about and he did seem to look for a pass forward early which was good. He reminded me of Scott Brown but technically better for those that remember him. Same sort of industry and build. 

Famara didn't seem to link up that well during the first half, to be fair to him we didn't offer him much of anything down the channels and he didn't get the chance in behind. He had a couple of pot shots and tried to make things happen but I'm sure that more will come. 

Gustav was excellent, good work rate and tried to pull the centre backs apart first half by moving into the wider channels, second half he was more the main striker and played well when running no in behind and his composure for the first goal was excellent. Really think that there is a player in there! Let's hope that he kicks on from this. 

Trialist is "John" someone I think, sure that's what I heard Flint calling him. As mentioned he was little lightweight and stood off a touch and seemed a little off the pace, first touch was good though and I'm in no way knocking a young lad who is trying to make his way in the game. Just felt he didn't run at the Cheltenham defence enough when he had a couple of chance to. 

Ivan looked good and commanded his area well, good hands and took a couple of crosses coming through players which was good. 

Korey was great, looks much more like lg1 Korey and he's back and fully fit. 

O'dowda had a great run first half where he beat about five or six and got a shot off that hit the bar, still think he needs to do more. 

Patterson was good, bright and surging into wide areas, first touch was excellent and two cracking crosses. 

Special mention to Reid who played just off Gustav in the second half. Cheltenham struggled to pick him up and his goal and interplay was top stuff. 

Overall we looked decent against a Cheltenham side that's put a shift in for an hour. Clearly a couple of players short in key areas but the players we currently have should be able to compete against the majority of sides in the championship IF they are set up correctly 

Just now, Beezey said:

With the risk of annoying others I just thought I would offer my opinion of the game tonight. 

Thought Kelly was okay, someone else mentioned his head dropping in the first half after he lost the ball a few times and as stated he showed guts to keep asking for the ball and showing. 

Zac was steady and I thought the better "defender" of the two full backs, don't really see either as being ready for the first team but they both have enough about them to suggest they will get a chance at some point. 

Morrell was busy, great engine and really box to box, thought he put himself about and he did seem to look for a pass forward early which was good. He reminded me of Scott Brown but technically better for those that remember him. Same sort of industry and build. 

Famara didn't seem to link up that well during the first half, to be fair to him we didn't offer him much of anything down the channels and he didn't get the chance in behind. He had a couple of pot shots and tried to make things happen but I'm sure that more will come. 

Gustav was excellent, good work rate and tried to pull the centre backs apart first half by moving into the wider channels, second half he was more the main striker and played well when running no in behind and his composure for the first goal was excellent. Really think that there is a player in there! Let's hope that he kicks on from this. 

Trialist is "John" someone I think, sure that's what I heard Flint calling him. As mentioned he was little lightweight and stood off a touch and seemed a little off the pace, first touch was good though and I'm in no way knocking a young lad who is trying to make his way in the game. Just felt he didn't run at the Cheltenham defence enough when he had a couple of chance to. 

Ivan looked good and commanded his area well, good hands and took a couple of crosses coming through players which was good. 

O'dowda had a great run first half where he beat about five or six and got a shot off that hit the bar, still think he needs to do more. 

Patterson was good, bright and surging into wide areas, first touch was excellent and two cracking crosses. 

Special mention to Reid who played just off Gustav in the second half. Cheltenham struggled to pick him up and his goal and interplay was top stuff. 

Overall we looked decent against a Cheltenham side that's put a shift in for an hour. Clearly a couple of players short in key areas but the players we currently have should be able to compete against the majority of sides in the championship IF they are set up correctly 

Any post that might upset Robbored is worth a like.

10 minutes ago, Super said:

Landed on the pitch could barely fly then got hit kicked, last seen still on the pitch. Keep checking the RIP thread.

7 minutes ago, AJgEEZa said:

The pigeon was also OK. One of our lads went to pick him up and he flew off fine

Typical modern day pigeon.  Roll around like they've been shot then as soon as they get what they want they get up fine.  Ruining the game it is!!

30 years ago pigeons wouldn't dare let the opposition think that they'd hurt them.  

Back then pigeons were pigeons!

My thoughts... after sloppy start giving the ball away we grew into the game. Engvall finished well twice which ultimately is what we want from a striker. Potentially I thought diedhou looked quite dangerous and can be a handful in and around the box.

Paterson as mentioned a moment ago looked absolute class. Very clever passing and all round crossing, workrate and skills were clear to see. 

Trialist had a decent run which ended up him losing the ball but looked skilful but very raw from what little we saw.

Lukic made a couple of decent saves and looked solid. Kelly looked a good prospect and purposeful going forward although showed lack of experience a few times giving the ball away and playing across the back.

The game was played at a good tempo throughout and we could have added to our tally as they tired and we improved. 

Good workout and we'll played. Second goal passing in the build up was very impressive. COYR 

8 minutes ago, AJgEEZa said:

The pigeon was also OK. One of our lads went to pick him up and he flew off fine

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Would he be any good on the wing?

6 minutes ago, AJgEEZa said:

Yep, defo a winger and plenty of experience

He'd still be pretty low in the pecking order here though.... 

10 minutes ago, Beezey said:

Thanks for the insight.

22 minutes ago, Super said:

One minute's silence before the Barnsley game.  Or applause.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Never have I had any interest pre season. They're useful for match fitness and a chance for the coaches to see fringe players but that's it.

I simply don't understand why some posters see them as a big deal. To me everything about this type of match is completely meaningless. 

I didn't even realise City were playing tonight.

I would stop digging you've reached Australia!

Archived