IGNORED

Bobby Reid Appreciation Thread

reddogkev

Ok, so there have been many recent discussions on several threads about Bobby Reid's pre-season / worth to the team etc, but I just wanted to take the moment to tip my hat to Bobby.

I love the fact Bobby has been with us for so many years (how many is it now? Close to ten?) and is still continuing to develop. He looks stronger at the moment, even more athletic, and is scoring goals for fun (yes, to a lower standard in pre-season, but some of his finishing has still looked pretty sublime).  He has impressive work-rate and seems to be a solid professional.  You never hear of any problems with Bobby.  I'm encouraged that he linked very well with Tammy last year, and looks on course to do the same again with Fammy this time round.

Bobby Reid, you're my type of player and I'm glad your a City man.  Here's hoping for a fantastic season and the coming of age as a true Championship talent!

This better stay an appreciation thread then. None of you young Bobby naysayers. The boy has quality about him which I think outweigh his weaker traits. Even more so now he's playing further up the pitch. Best thing is he seems to have a knack of finding space in the box albeit against lesser competition. If he can continue to do that he could score 10+ as a striker. Though it seems either him or Matty T need to partner Fam or Gustav as we seem to not played as well with Gus and Fam pairing. Time will tell but I can't wait for the opening match!

He's actually been with us far longer than 10 years. I knew someone who played in the same academy age group. Apparently he used to get held back a year most of the time during his early teens due to his size. The coaches used to love him even back then but other academy players didn't understand why.

I think it's great to see an academy player doing well. I've never been his biggest fan personally, but he's played here in the first team under 5 or 6 managers now(?) so must have something they can all see. Hopefully he thrives in his new position; albeit one I never imagined him playing.

Not sure if he deserves an 'appreciation thread' just yet though, save it for when he gets a hattrick against Barnsley!

He and Joe Bryan both went on loan to Argyle earlier in their careers and the strategy of sending youngsters out on loan clearly benefited them both as they're now first team regulars.

Lets hope the same happens to Vyner, Taylor-Moore et el.....

Bobby was always a striker/number 10 when growing up in the youth teams and for his local clubs and never really a CM.

Hopefully he can continue his good form in preseason into the season, if he starts regularly upfront or just behind the striker and can get 10-15 goals it will be a good return for him. 

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's actually been with us far longer than 10 years. I knew someone who played in the same academy age group. Apparently he used to get held back a year most of the time during his early teens due to his size. The coaches used to love him even back then but other academy players didn't understand why.

I think it's great to see an academy player doing well. I've never been his biggest fan personally, but he's played here in the first team under 5 or 6 managers now(?) so must have something they can all see. Hopefully he thrives in his new position; albeit one I never imagined him playing.

Not sure if he deserves an 'appreciation thread' just yet though, save it for when he gets a hattrick against Barnsley!

Ah, interesting stuff about his academy days.  No doubt there will be an Appreciation Thread Volume 2 if he scores 3 goals against Barnsley!

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Ah, interesting stuff about his academy days.  No doubt there will be an Appreciation Thread Volume 2 if he scores 3 goals against Barnsley!

He said that shortly after Reid broke into the first team squad.. could've been jealousy tbh. He genuinely couldn't understand why he was so highly rated.

I hope the academy is far better since those days though. They used to absolutely flog the boys. Hard endurance based training, centred around 1/2 touch, 4 or 5 nights a week. This started when they were 11/12 and still developing. The guy I knew developed lots of nasty recurring niggles which doctors said was as a result of too much heavy exertion at a young age. 

Id love for him to be successful, like go on and become a cult hero to the same level as Aden in the promotion season. Its great seeing a local lad do well and come through the academy, and I do think he has it about him to come of age this season.

There is no doubting that, since his breakthrough into first team contention, Bobby has quality, or that he has previously lacked the physical requirements needed. 

More recently I have always seen him as someone who can change a game if coming on from the bench, but always found him very ineffective when given a full 90 mins. 

Having seen many of his pre-season goals (yes, I know the standard of opposition), there is one player that they have actually reminded me of.

Surely it can't be purely coincidence that Bobby's predatory instincts have improved to such a degree, having just spent a year in the company of one of the best young players at that part of the game..?

Yes, there have been many false dawns with Bobby, up until now, but he can't do any more than he has done during pre-season and it will be interesting to see if he can finally contribute, consistently, at this level. Fingers crossed..! 

We've tried to find goal scorers from everywhere: spending big, big names, non-league, local rivals, old and young...wouldn't it be funny if the answer was under our noses all along. 

I've always rated him playing as a foil for the frontmen, joining attacks and runs into the box late, he seems to find massive amounts of space doing so. Only seen the highlights of his goals pre season so don't know if he's getting them from this position.  I think I first saw him in that game against the Gas when JET scored THAT goal and Bryan for the winner with a sublime finish, and thought right then that Reid looked a good 'un

Amongst the many things that I love about Bobby Reid, my favourite has to be that his sister is the Labour member for Battersea, Marsha Decordova.

How he construed to miss some of the chances he had last year I don't know. He was always in the right places but I think suffered from a good measure of bad luck not to score a few more. Hope he finds his stride this season because, well, we could do with him being good.

First saw him in THAT JPT game v Rovers.  For 45 minutes he was excellent, coming short, getting the ball, spinning and moving it on.  Could go either way.  So I knew he had ability.  Second half O'Toole "stamped on him" and it stopped him playing and us ultimately.

In that season, he seemed to play better alongside Elliott than alongside Pack, but when Cotts arrived he had a little spell in the side where he showed promise again.

14/15 - our glory season, Reid spent most of the season at Plymouth where he helped them to the play-offs and plaudits from many.  Formed a good link with Reuben Reid (is he a cousin?), and came back with another "defining season ahead for Young Bobby" in 15/16. Also a lot of people suggesting therefore that League Two is his level!

15/16 however meant City playing in a higher level and it was stop start, but again you could see a footballer in there, inconsistency, size (maybe?) counting against him.  Flashes of that v MKD, but also several shouts from me and those around me of "ohhh Bobby, that's &%€£in sloppy" when he'd waste possession.  He came back to the fore in the run-in, where he seemed to spark off of Tomlin, with goals v Wednesday and Derby.  16/17 was going to be "make or break for Young(ish) Bobby Reid"

16/17 saw a more muscular Bobby and 4 goals in the opening 12 games (of which he started 7), several in a central two with O'Neil.  Perhaps he'd finally made that breakthrough, a late developer?  But cast aside during the bad run, maybe fairly.  A false dawn?  Again the flashes, but also important losses of the ball that led to goals.  But I think Tomlin's skills had rubbed off to some extent.  Saw him take the ball and move it in one-touch to buy himself some time....that might be needed this season.

So we come to 17/18...the season as a striker, or at least playing close to the 9.  8 goals in 6 friendlies (not all starts).  He's done as much as he can (except make the tea according to one poster) in the absence of Đurić and Taylor, and to a lesser extent Wilbraham and Engvall, and the emergence of Hinds (overtaking McCoulsky imho), and given LJ an option.

Good luck Bobby - there is nothing better in seeing a home-grown make it, even at 24.  

Photos v Wigan

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

We've tried to find goal scorers from everywhere: spending big, big names, non-league, local rivals, old and young...wouldn't it be funny if the answer was under our noses all along. 

Indeed, would be very amusing, but also fantastic for City.  If he can start the season on a bit of form and enjoy a scoring run, who knows what he could do.

Be great if he could reach double figures.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He's played in central midfield against hard opponents. He'll be fine.

Hope so. Never been sold in bobby, imo should have gone a year or two ago. That said if he takes this form into the league then fair play to him and fantastic for us. Just more cautious on this one than others it seems. 

Archived