IGNORED

Banning of petrol & diesel powered cars

22A

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

So you think the car companies will just make petrol and diesel cars for the UK? 

Those environmental icons of the Asia and China will probably still buy them.  The amount of pollution in India is huge and won't drop anytime soon,  what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.

25 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I didn't say they wouldn't use magnets or copper, I said they're unlikely to continue to use rare earths.  I don't think copper's too much of a problem, it's not needed in vast quantity is it?

Six new nuclear power stations would be fine by me if we actually advance the reactor design.  I don't really see why we need the coal, it's only a tiny proportion now I think and clean coal isn't really that clean.

Haven't seen anything about a limit on engine size or is that what you're suggesting?  It'd be a start.

You are clearly not informed on the smelting of copper or the process of acid leaching which in turn requires greater production of sulphuric acid, all great environmental improves.

Go back to smelting copper around Swansea with all the SHE safe guards we've got in place and that maybe viable but the vast majority will be smelted in second and third world countries where off gasses are not scrubbed and are vented to atmosphere.

The vast majority of the world is having its industrial revolution now and will make the vast majority of the mistakes we made 150 years ago.

As you ignored the farce that is Drax, check out china's electricity production and their scrubbing of off gasses. 

The internal combustion engine in motor cars is miniscule in comparison 

This is so old hat! Electric/hybrid cars are an absolute inevitability. Personally can't wait, no more walking/cycling in cities with the stench and dangers of poisonous fumes blurting out everywhere.

400 deaths in the city of Leeds alone associated with high levels of air pollution, 40,000 a year in the UK yet still this retarded Tory government had to actually be ORDERED  by the High Court to get on and do something about it.

Anyway, the big question for the future is driverless cars. 

The Filton Airfield development for 5000 new homes is being carried out by a Malaysian firm and they have stated their intention to have driverless vehicles on site. You will be able to order a vehicle using an app and it'll come and pick you up from right outside your home and take you to the train station, for example. The vehicles will be charged whilst they are parked on the street via....Bluetooth!  Pretty smart.

10 hours ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

You are clearly not informed on the smelting of copper or the process of acid leaching which in turn requires greater production of sulphuric acid, all great environmental improves.

Go back to smelting copper around Swansea with all the SHE safe guards we've got in place and that maybe viable but the vast majority will be smelted in second and third world countries where off gasses are not scrubbed and are vented to atmosphere.

The vast majority of the world is having its industrial revolution now and will make the vast majority of the mistakes we made 150 years ago.

As you ignored the farce that is Drax, check out china's electricity production and their scrubbing of off gasses. 

The internal combustion engine in motor cars is miniscule in comparison 

Odd that you're ok with smelting ten to a hundred times as much aluminium?

Agree on the industrial revolution but the hope is that they'll get through those mistakes quicker because they can trade with countries who already have and have incentives to do so.

I don't see how Drax is relevant but note that you ignored the general point that we simply can't keep burning fossil fuels and didn't offer an alternative.

13 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

23 years..... to deadline day,  I hope the project team electrifying the railway aren't managing this pipe dream!!

I'll either be fertilizing daisy's or driving a mobility scooter by then. 

This is so old hat! Electric/hybrid cars are an absolute inevitability. Personally can't wait, no more walking/cycling in cities with the stench and dangers of poisonous fumes blurting out everywhere.

400 deaths in the city of Leeds alone associated with high levels of air pollution, 40,000 a year in the UK yet still this retarded Tory government had to actually be ORDERED  by the High Court to get on and do something about it.

Anyway, the big question for the future is driverless cars. 

The Filton Airfield development for 5000 new homes is being carried out by a Malaysian firm and they have stated their intention to have driverless vehicles on site. You will be able to order a vehicle using an app and it'll come and pick you up from right outside your home and take you to the train station, for example. The vehicles will be charged whilst they are parked on the street via....Bluetooth!  Pretty smart.

Will miss a petrol motorbike but this is all for the better. I am convinced that before I die (I'm early 20s), all electricity will be green, all transport will be green, we'll have given up farming animals and concrete will have been replaced. I'm only referring to the UK/Western Europe but I believe this will happen.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The vehicles will be charged whilst they are parked on the street via....Bluetooth!  Pretty smart.

The rest sounds cool but that bit's not right surely?  You can't transmit power over bluetooth, maybe they mean the charging will be controlled by it.  To actually charge they'll need to be plugged in or there will be some sort of induction going on.

11 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The rest sounds cool but that bit's not right surely?  You can't transmit power over bluetooth, maybe they mean the charging will be controlled by it.  To actually charge they'll need to be plugged in or there will be some sort of induction going on.

Hmmm maybe not Bluetooth but some other form of wireless charging? I may be way off here but you can charge your phone wirelessly?

Another prediction is that private vehicle ownership will drastically decrease over the next 50 or so years in this country, and Uber and such like will become even more prominent. Some schemes for apartments in this country now come with £50 Uber credit a month instead of a parking space.

When I was in Miami a couple of years ago I regretted the fact we had a hire car for the duration of the stay. This was because Uber was outrageously cheap over there, and parking lots very expensive (think $20 for a couple of hours on South Beach) and so we'd actually spend less in a day on a few Uber journeys versus the daily car rental price + fuel + parking!

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hmmm maybe not Bluetooth but some other form of wireless charging? I may be way off here but you can charge your phone wirelessly?

Another prediction is that private vehicle ownership will drastically decrease over the next 50 or so years in this country, and Uber and such like will become even more prominent. Some schemes for apartments in this country now come with £50 Uber credit a month instead of a parking space.

When I was in Miami a couple of years ago I regretted the fact we had a hire car for the duration of the stay. This was because Uber was outrageously cheap over there, and parking lots very expensive (think $20 for a couple of hours on South Beach) and so we'd actually spend less in a day on a few Uber journeys versus the daily car rental price + fuel + parking!

Yep wireless charging is induction, may well be that.  It's not particularly quick though compared to wired.

I agree on vehicle ownership, when you think about it now most cars spend most of their operating lives parked up.  Look at planes - they spend most of it in the air.  It's much more efficient.

My car has pretty much nothing personal in it, it wouldn't make any difference to me if it vanished off somewhere and came back when I needed it.

The good thing about wireless charging is that it can be built into the public roads - hence you can charge up on the move, in theory. Not sure about who pays what, though, and that's likely to be the deciding factor, as ever.

On a side note, i see Elon Musk has given up all the patents for Tesla.

When interviewed recently about why he did it, he said: "If we're all in a ship together and the ship has some holes in it, and we're sort of bailing water out of it, and we have a great design for a bucket, then even if we're bailing out way better than everyone else, we should probably still share the bucket design."

11 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It's all well and good, but how do you get to remote locations with either tools, if you're working, or stuff like golf clubs, fishing tackle, motocross bikes, etc etc......  lots to get right here before a green utopia is reached.

All of these will be banned in due course

20 hours ago, Padlad said:

Why don't the manufactures all use a few sizes of standard batteries than be exchanged at current petrol stations by some machine in a few seconds, the range / charging problem then vanishes. 

The batteries are a significant part of the cost of the car ?£6k and have a limited life with steady deterioration over the life of the battery. So your battery may gave 50% efficiency left and you're swapping it for a nearly new or vice versa.

It's like swapping your gear box for one that may be brand new or on its last legs.  There is a big financial winner in the deal and it will be the canniest person.

Don't care about cars - as long as I can still ride my Harley !

Seriously though this is BS. The stone age didn't stop cos we ran out of stone , and the bronze age didn't stop cos we ran out of bronze - human kind adapted new technology and evolved. We might have purely electric vehicles by this date , or we might have something else. Or we might all die in a nuclear war - who knows what the future holds. We live in uncertain times.

22 hours ago, harry may said:

Don't care about cars - as long as I can still ride my Harley !

Seriously though this is BS. The stone age didn't stop cos we ran out of stone , and the bronze age didn't stop cos we ran out of bronze - human kind adapted new technology and evolved. We might have purely electric vehicles by this date , or we might have something else. Or we might all die in a nuclear war - who knows what the future holds. We live in uncertain times.

Harley's will be the first victims.

Silly really, as the savings you guys make on not using detergent and water to wash your underpants more than makes up for the extra CO2.

Hey-ho!

:whistle:

tfj

On 26/07/2017 at 21:01, Nibor said:

Right now a Tesla X can have a 100 kWh battery which gives a working range of about 300 miles.  I'm on an average tariff of about 15p / kWh so potentially it would cost £15 for 300 miles or 5p a mile.  That's less than a third of the cost of diesel per mile.

Charging that takes 90 minutes with a supercharger or overnight with a wall connector.

Batteries don't need to improve much at all but actually if you look at how they've come on since 94, and project that 23 years into the future they'd be about a quarter of their current weight for the same energy.

The only surprising thing about this is that we're not already using electric cars all over the place.

The Model 3 will retail new for about £30k...

I'll tip my hat at you, sir. You're clued up on the goings on, so it would seem.

Know much about the new London Cabs? 

It'll be interesting to see what happens when they come out.

Here's a little something on some other future developments:

IMG_7221.JPG

41 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I'll tip my hat at you, sir. You're clued up on the goings on, so it would seem.

Know much about the new London Cabs? 

It'll be interesting to see what happens when they come out.

Here's a little something on some other future developments:

IMG_7221.JPG

I've followed Tesla for a while, Elon Musk seems to have a gift for solving big problems.  

Not heard about London cabs - are they all going electric?  It'd make sense given the amount of time they spent sat in traffic in the congestion zone.

Clarkson's going to do his nut when he sees that!

8 hours ago, Nibor said:

I've followed Tesla for a while, Elon Musk seems to have a gift for solving big problems.  

Not heard about London cabs - are they all going electric?  It'd make sense given the amount of time they spent sat in traffic in the congestion zone.

Clarkson's going to do his nut when he sees that!

I believe they'll be plug in hybrids. It's quite hush hush on certain matters at the mo as the actual motors, inverters etc are all yet to be finalised. Can't say (publicly) what manufacturer they're getting their driveline from as it's not in the public domain.

From what I can only assume, we'll soon start to see plug in bays at all designated taxi ranks for these vehicles.

There was an article not long ago from the DfT which stated something like up to £11k grant per Cab purchased. FINALLY our government are pushing for much more 'plausible' incentives to purchase.

I really do feel as though the UK is quite a way behind other countries on Hybrid and Electric vehicles.

Anyway, here's a picture of the Cabs:

IMG_7222.JPG

Edit: a quick google search confirmed the technology base manufacturer. It's Volvo. 1.3l engine alternative. Heavily funded by the Chinese.

Archived