IGNORED

Engvall Interview

Padlad

Totally agree, fed up of all the mystery around this guy.....put him in the team for a couple of games in a row and see how he goes. We had no worries plonking Matty straight into the first team, so give this lad the same chance....as the one and only Mr Weller once said: "Chase your dream, you can only fail, but you may well sail..."

Give the lad a few games before we bomb him out...or tell us that he can't settle in England for personal reasons and then we move on....but at the moment all I know is that we've spent a sizeable chunk of dosh on Engvall and no-one seems to know where he stands....

His missus should be with him in England this season so this should help him a lot. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a factor in his homesickness, especially at his age. I've always felt very up and down about Gustav but I do feel sorry for him in regards to how he has been treated. If I was him I would have run a mile from here, but it would be fantastic if he got a chance to show us what he could do.

He will be fit, which he wasn't last season. 

A lot of the "mystery" surrounding his situation is made up by us lot on here, speculating. 

He wanted a loan-he got one. 

LJ wanted to see that loan go well - it did. 

LJ wanted him back for the Tenerife trip - he was. 

LJ put him in the team when his knock had cleared up - he scored. 

I'd like to think the plan for him was going pretty much as hoped. 

1 hour ago, Padlad said:

Sensed from his interview he was a bit despondent about how his move to England has been, looks like he needs a bit of trust shown in him by LJ, he delivered in Sweden on loan needs to be given a chance a feel.

A bit despondent? He's Swedish, mate. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The football leagues are littered with signings, especially foreign ones, who take at least a season to bed in and get used to the change in environment.

Most weren't signed when they were just 20 years old either. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

A lot of the "mystery" surrounding his situation is made up by us lot on here, speculating. 

11 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

What a change from what has been before, we sign a £2.5m striker and don't rush him, good player management, I like the look of him, and he's all ours!! 

Agree with these comments, plus the club said last year that he was taking a while to settle in a new country so I don't get the suggestion that he has been poorly treated. I also think he sounded positive in his interview. His successful loan in Sweden will have improved his confidence and fitness. His first goal yesterday was great. Hope he is a success this season. 

Haven't see the interview yet but saw the goals from the Cheltenham game and thought his body language after his second could say a lot.

Great instinct around the box for both goals and his second in front of the City fans just screamed out for a little release of emotion, even if it was a meaningless friendly against lower league opposition, but he turned away almost reluctant.

That to me says that he doesn't feel he has the faith in management yet despite scoring twice.  I hope he's given a good run and a chance to deliver.

3 minutes ago, Scare_Man said:

Haven't see the interview yet but saw the goals from the Cheltenham game and thought his body language after his second could say a lot.

Great instinct around the box for both goals and his second in front of the City fans just screamed out for a little release of emotion, even if it was a meaningless friendly against lower league opposition, but he turned away almost reluctant.

That to me says that he doesn't feel he has the faith in management yet despite scoring twice.  I hope he's given a good run and a chance to deliver.

You can't see his reaction to the first goal. Bobby hardly jumped into the crowd with his shirt off!

Do you really think that a modest reaction to a tap in against a L2 team suggests that he's bewildered by his own future..?! 

He needs to remember he's a small fish in a big pond over here, decent transfer fee or not at 20 he's not the finished article and was bought for such a high fee on the assumption he'd improve.

The Spanish clubs are blowing fortunes on 18 year olds, doesn't mean they are first team ready or will instantly start ahead of the other players they have.

We can only speculate why he wasn't around the first team last season, either way that's probably down to the player and his attitude at the end of the day.

Players who aren't in the first team have two choices you can either knuckle down and wait for your chance like Hörður or you can do a Tomlin and force your way out.

Hopefully the lad makes an impression this season.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You can't see his reaction to the first goal. Bobby hardly jumped into the crowd with his shirt off!

Do you really think that a modest reaction to a tap in against a L2 team suggests that he's bewildered by his own future..?! 

We know that these goals mean very little but in the inside you must think that player like Bobby and Gustav are pleased and relieved to be amongst the goals. 

Being close to the cheering fans I thought maybe a little emotion may have come out but my comment above was off the back of the OPs notes from the interview and putting them together, not saying that's right, of course.

Friendly vs Cheltenham, 2 goals. Sure it was great for Gustav to score. He started for the second time only, Hull cup game. We talked about it here in Sweden, do well in Teneriffa and then score in friendlies, he did. He can not do more than training and score when he gets the chance. Hope he gets at least 45 min on friday. For Engvall and the Club I really hope it works out well. Now that Đurić and Taylor not is fit it is important that Gustav and the other forwards works. This could be a very good season for Engvall, fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Diedhiou clearly wants out, he barely celebrated his goal in Spain

3 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Friendly vs Cheltenham, 2 goals. Sure it was great for Gustav to score. He started for the second time only, Hull cup game. We talked about it here in Sweden, do well in Teneriffa and then score in friendlies, he did. He can not do more than training and score when he gets the chance. Hope he gets at least 45 min on friday. For Engvall and the Club I really hope it works out well. Now that Đurić and Taylor not is fit it is important that Gustav and the other forwards works. This could be a very good season for Engvall, fingers crossed.

Started v Fleetwood (FAC Replay) also, where he set up Pato's winning goal.

Re the video, I think the first goal was a mini-celebration / sense of relief / feeling if justification.  Nothing elaborate, a few players slapping him on the back.

The second goal was a rebound tap-in, a routine finish (maybe not for some of former players), to make it 3-0 against Lg2 opponents, and just a case of getting back ready for kick-off.

I didn't read anything into it.

As for his interview, you could see a sense of pride in his performance, his willingness to explain the roles he can play, the skills he has.  That for me was more telling.  He's got a small window to push himself ahead of Taylor (who I don't rate), and he's on course for the 18 if not the 11 for Barnsley.  Think Reid holds the edge if Diedhiou is the auto-starter.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Truth be told, he probably left Sweden a year too early. If his other half could have come over permanently when he signed I think last season would have turned out differently for him.

I think it also gets forgotten that as well as the niggle he had when signed, he then got another injury immediately after (during an international break I think). By the time he had properly recovered, Tammy had shown his early form wasn't just a striker going through a 'purple patch'. And, IMO, Wilbs was a better person to bring on from the bench than Engvall because he provides a bigger change of play than putting Gus on would have, as well as his years of experience.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Started v Fleetwood (FAC Replay) also, where he set up Pato's winning goal.

Re the video, I think the first goal was a mini-celebration / sense of relief / feeling if justification.  Nothing elaborate, a few players slapping him on the back.

The second goal was a rebound tap-in, a routine finish (maybe not for some of former players), to make it 3-0 against Lg2 opponents, and just a case of getting back ready for kick-off.

I didn't read anything into it.

As for his interview, you could see a sense of pride in his performance, his willingness to explain the roles he can play, the skills he has.  That for me was more telling.  He's got a small window to push himself ahead of Taylor (who I don't rate), and he's on course for the 18 if not the 11 for Barnsley.  Think Reid holds the edge if Diedhiou is the auto-starter.

Yep agree with all that. Don't see how you could not start Reid - what more could he have done to get on the team sheet vs Barnsley? What message does it send if he can't get in the XI after the pre season he's had? Think it'll be FD and BR upfront for Barnsley with Gus to play a role from the bench. 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep agree with all that. Don't see how you could not start Reid - what more could he have done to get on the team sheet vs Barnsley? What message does it send if he can't get in the XI after the pre season he's had? Think it'll be FD and BR upfront for Barnsley with Gus to play a role from the bench. 

Think you are right, unless Gus has a blinder against FC Twente, and strikes up a real bond with Diedhiou, assuming they get that chance.  Good problems.  Be nice to see Famara get on the scoresheet in front of his new home fans.  Watching the extended highlights there was a couple of good bits of link up play from him, off either foot.

22 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

But where's the fun and speculation in that? 

Archived