IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

Sounds like a prudent bit of business.

Villa Fan I work with reckons the 'fee' Villa are due to bank will be next to nothing as the bulk of the money is going to Baker as some sort of settlement against his contract, meaning he had more options open to him. He doesn't think he'll be the only Villa Player on Prem money they want off the monthly bill.

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/baker-completes-city-switch/

Unfortunately his disciplinary record and tendency for being reckless both worry me, think LJ needs to get him to sign a 'If I am suspended agreement' now so he won't get paid if he's side-lined through yellow/red cards.

And never make a challenge, good idea. He puts his head / body in where many won't rather like Flint, bound to pick up cards. He has also taken a few for the team.

I like Flint, he's got some banter and I want him to stay so I can name my dog Flint.

But I think ever since he said 'no', he has been almost cult status for us. 

Yes he weighs in with some goals, but I have to say - Wright and Baker seems a better pairing on paper.

tin hat on...

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/baker-completes-city-switch/

Unfortunately his disciplinary record and tendency for being reckless both worry me, think LJ needs to get him to sign a 'If I am suspended agreement' now so he won't get paid if he's side-lined through yellow/red cards.

A) This point has been covered above a couple of times. His record isn't much worse than most others. 

B) Players have always been fined a week or two's wages for being sent off. That's standard. 

1 minute ago, Lordofthebling said:

I like Flint, he's got some banter and I want him to stay so I can name my dog Flint.

But I think ever since he said 'no', he has been almost cult status for us. 

Yes he weighs in with some goals, but I have to say - Wright and Baker seems a better pairing on paper.

tin hat on...

Nathan Baker's 'avin a party...

Connor Ripley's in the building...! 

Glad to have Baker back - really rated him when we had him on loan.

If Flint stays then that's a bonus - we could play 3 at the back, or any combination of pairings (especially when injuries and suspensions kick in).

If Flint goes now, let's hope it's for a good price so we can re-invest elsewhere in the team.

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A) This point has been covered above a couple of times. His record isn't much worse than most others. 

Yes, but we watched him and saw what a liabilty he could be. His wild tackling on occasions and lack of discipline even after being booked could easily have led to numerous more cards during his loan.

Then there's his habit of suddenly sitting down during play and demanding to be substituted.

Let's hope he's grown up a bit and also that any persistent injury he may have been trying to protect is a thing of the past.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yes, but we watched him and saw what a liabilty he could be. His wild tackling on occasions and lack of discipline even after being booked could easily have led to numerous more cards during his loan.

Then there's his habit of suddenly sitting down during play and demanding to be substituted.

Let's hope he's grown up a bit and also that any persistent injury he may have been trying to protect is a thing of the past.

He played a lot of games for Villa last season and their fans are gutted he's left, so I'd assume he's cut out the "rash" side of his make up. 

13 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'm not sure who I rate over Flint or Baker. What I think we'll really miss is Flint's goals, especially in a season where we've lost our two highest goalscorers.

I'm a great lover of Flinty, and I do understand what you are saying, but I think at times more often than not he became the one corners etc was aimed at, we got far too predictable. You could see it a mile off the ball was launched into him, and opposition defenders saw it too easily too. Mostly then we would lose the ball and Flint had to charge back down field to defend, get in a mess and concede a goal. Yes, we need a threat sometimes, but when it's every time with little guarantee of success it got stale and predictable. 

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Had forgotten about that. There are certainly some valid questions over his character/temperament. Here's hoping he takes this permanent move more seriously than his loan spell. The type of player who maybe needs some quality man-management  :whistle:

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

B) Players have always been fined a week or two's wages for being sent off. That's standard. 

His record whilst here was by far and away the worst in his career, although as pointed out by @Bristol_South_End, all his cards were under SC, and none under LJ (helped by a half-time substitution at Hull, I think, sparing the inevitable).

The point being, when all around him were flapping like seals (before Tomlin, and then Johnson, arrived) he flapped as much as anyone else, rather than providing the PL experience/quality we thought we were borrowing.

As long as we're not flailing around the bottom 4 or 5 again, we should be ok with Baker this time.

I`m happy with this - wanted us to get him after his loan. It`s telling that Villa fans are angry, that`s always a good sign. If Aden is off, which I expect, we now have a proper left/right CB partnership which can only be a good thing IMO.

Also regarding Mags, what if we were to ship out Scott Golbourne and then Joe leaves in the last week of the window? We`d need him then for sure.

:laugh: at Villa, signing two 'over the hill' expensive veterans who are slow as donkey's and letting one of their 'better' centre halves leave.

A little bit brainless in my opinion, complete short term action that we're the beneficiaries of.

Good to see Ashton and the rest of the transfer committee sniffing out a deal like this and getting it over the line. 

Still think we need one out and out pacey winger out wide, with a good cross to get balls into Fama/Đurić.

1 hour ago, Super said:

this is funny

Andy Stockhausen @AndyStockhausen 1h1 hour ago

Wonder if the local press will credit me as the source for this story when they cut and paste it!!!!!!

I've said some pretty negative things about Mr Stockhausen previously. He is now chalk and cheese from what he was at the Post, not just because he's actually getting scoops, but more so he's suddenly started coming across as a nice, funny bloke. Before, he seemed hellbent on waiting for scraps to slag the club off for or with hidden agendas, but now it's a lot more laid back. Perhaps it was the paper... Long live new AS. 

31 minutes ago, Kezman said:

:laugh: at Villa, signing two 'over the hill' expensive veterans who are slow as donkey's and letting one of their 'better' centre halves leave.

A little bit brainless in my opinion, complete short term action that we're the beneficiaries of.

Good to see Ashton and the rest of the transfer committee sniffing out a deal like this and getting it over the line. 

Still think we need one out and out pacey winger out wide, with a good cross to get balls into Fama/Đurić.

I'm very surprised by villas decision to sign both terry and samba.....it will be interesting to see how terry fares at this level but I for one thing he may well struggle...

2 hours ago, Super said:

What do we reckon the fee was?

I would imagine we cut a deal whereby Villa won't have to pay part of the fee for JK. Seems logical. I remember early reports of JK fee being 10m initially then increments thereafter to the sum of 15m. Anyone agree this could be right? Not saying he is 5 mil but perhaps Villa give us 2m more and we call it quits? Purely speculation mind.

Archived