IGNORED

The pitch IS narrower...

EmersonsRed

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A pointless bit of trivia, which I believe to be correct, having read it somewhere once....

Q) What stadium has had the smallest playing surface in English league football..? 

My garden?

@Bar BS3 there's a tent on one side.

Thought if the Mem counts a s a stadium, so does my garden.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Something like Coventry or Northampton then?

One of the teams that would be put in the 'northern' part of the JPT, when more northern clubs would be in the 'southern' part. Or vice versa.

No. Nationally it was south, to us... north. 

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Has to be Swansea then - the old ground which had a very small pitch.

Vetch field, and it was a field with a big drop from the pitch into the terracing on one side. I don't remember a blade of grass on it when I played there many decades ago.

Interestingly (or not!)Wikipedia makes no mention of my trivia, so it could be complete bollocks, although I definitely did read it somewhere a few years ago! 

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Right, my last attempt - Walsall.

Thats it, done.

Don't give up yet..! I'll give you one more clue.....

The current team is managed by someone who's mother is a bit of a slapper, allegedly! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Don't give up yet..! I'll give you one more clue.....

The current team is managed by someone who's mother is a bit of a slapper, allegedly! 

Was about to say "its gonna be Eastville or something"

Then you posted this and I got a particular terrace song in my head.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Was about to say "its gonna be Eastville or something"

Then you posted this and I got a particular terrace song in my head.

Eastville it was.

(I take no resonsibility for any literature I read being wrong!) 

15 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Thought this deserved a thread of its own following on from bits and bobs in the match day chat, bit boring for some, but I find it very interesting... We've had the largest available for some time I believe and I'm glad we've narrowed it, allows us to play a far more attacking game off the ball and press for 90 minutes. Think we may be a bit better defensively at home this season.

P.S Confirmed by Joe Bryan interview at https://www.bcfc.co.uk/bctv/

We have never been fit enough to take advantage of the obvious; the  pitch size. Always on the back foot we should narrow the pitch a s much as possible

16 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Thought this deserved a thread of its own following on from bits and bobs in the match day chat, bit boring for some, but I find it very interesting... We've had the largest available for some time I believe and I'm glad we've narrowed it, allows us to play a far more attacking game off the ball and press for 90 minutes. Think we may be a bit better defensively at home this season.

P.S Confirmed by Joe Bryan interview at https://www.bcfc.co.uk/bctv/

Very well done the club!

23 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

@AdamB @Mkelly can you confirm as to why playing surface has been narrowed?

And why red seats in the Atyeo lettering?

Playing surface is dictated by the football department's request. 

Seats, not sure on this one. I know we've also reinstated Dolman seats removed for the temporary press box, but I'm sure Mark can answer Atyeo seating one. 

On 29/07/2017 at 12:41, JamesBCFC said:

You realise we still have one of the largest pitches?

No?

Ok, so just an opportunity to rant.

Ah right, so I don't like and don't think LJ's tactics work in the Championship, but that's classed as a rant? dear me! 

Why are we not playing with width, why are we narrowing the pitch?, why are we playing with our widest players constantly cutting inside once past the halfway line? 

Last season is proof that his tactics of playing narrow does not work. 

Your obviously happy with playing like this, I'm not. 

I guess this is just a rant though?

19 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Ah right, so I don't like and don't think LJ's tactics work in the Championship, but that's classed as a rant? dear me! 

Why are we not playing with width, why are we narrowing the pitch?, why are we playing with our widest players constantly cutting inside once past the halfway line? 

Agree about cutting inside, but I do wonder if this season out two full backs will be instructed to overlap.  I know that does not answer "why the narrower pitch?" Question, but I think one of Smith or Pack will always sit tight to give us the extra defensive man should we lose possession in the wrong areas.

I'm gonna wait and see.  There's a perverse part of me that is "excited" about seeing an eleven work their socks off for each other, and if a 2 yard narrower helps that all well and good.

However I reserve the right to moan that we are too narrow at 16:50 next Saturday:P 

Just now, Portland Bill said:

Are we not playing with width?

Overlapping full backs and still having one of the largest pitches suggests we are.

Cutting inside allows options and provides space for the aforementioned overlapping full backs

Archived