IGNORED

ICYMI Rucksacl/Large Bag ban at AG

1 minute ago, Red Grovesy said:

Could do but would mean fitting a rack and buying a pannier. It's also detachable / nickable. I guess if push comes to shove I just lock my rucksack to my bike and carry my stuff into the ground.

Ah OK. A pannier rack was one of the first things I had fitted to my bike (after mudguards, which bizarrely appear to be nonstandard these days) as for me one big advantage of cycling over walking is not having to wear a backpack but carrying drinks, snack, anorak in panniers.

I have the sling over tie-on one with a bag each side which is easy to carry with me as it also has a shoulder strap. 

Though whether that would be OK or you'd need the side clip on ones to get in I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Could do but would mean fitting a rack and buying a pannier. It's also detachable / nickable. I guess if push comes to shove I just lock my rucksack to my bike and carry my stuff into the ground.

Where do you put your bike at AG mate? The racks at the back of the SS always looks fairly well monitored/secure.

This is unworkable.

I have no issue having my bag checked but to ban rucksacks is effectively a ban on kids and cyclists.

I often take my kids to the Gate and need a rucksack for warm clothes, drinks etc.

If I don't have the kids I often cycle... and I need a rucksack to carry a change of clothes and cycle helmet. 

I went to Wimbledon a few weeks back and I was able to take a rucksack... surely Ashton Gate can find a workable solution other than a complete ban.

Just now, Red Grovesy said:

Yep. Use the racks outside the south stand (used to use the Hirerite building before that).

I would imagine you`d be OK there. There`s always people in the fanzone during the game and there`s bound to be CCTV there. 

There always seem to be loads of bikes left there and I`m sure we`d have heard by now if some local scratters were nicking stuff during the game.

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

Haha the 1970s comedy is alive and well on OTIB, hope you're here all week , try the scampi !;)

about 1998 Walsall was frisked by a very attractive Policewomen so much so that I left the ground and went round again.

sadly David F in Kelly turned up that day

8 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

How do BCFC expect every single fan to get the message before Saturday's game?

Do they believe around 20,000 fans tune in to OTIB every week?

I predict a fair amount of civil unrest at the turnstiles.

I think you will find that Saturday will be a little relaxed, with persons carrying a rucksack told the new rule but allowed to bring it in. It probably wont be fully enforced for a game or two. It would be slightly unfair to do otherwise.

IT seems from what I understand we are still allowed to bring things in, eg cycle helmets, clothes, food, bike locks, flasks etc...as long as we don't put them in a rucksack over a certain size. What that size is nobody from the club seems willing to divulge. @AdamB @Mkelly ???

So we have a choice:  carry all our belongings in and hold them in our hands,  or pack them in another bag as long as it's not a rucksack, or at least not a large one ( once bag dimensions have been revealed)? 

20 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Many sporting arenas Wembly, Twickenham etc and  other clubs eg Birmingham make you remove tops of bottles you bring in . Only surprised this hasn't been imposed  at AG yet

It was a few years ago.

But soon got dropped when they moved on to the next directive from the suits!

5 hours ago, AdamB said:

Hi Chris

As someone else has stated, it was in the Guide to the Gate pre-Twente and was on social media as well, but we'll certainly give it more coverage ahead of Barnsley. 

We also asked our stewards and ambassadors to convey the message to fans attending the Twente game, which worked as I see a number of people on this thread were notified in this way. 

Any queries, I'm sure @Mkelly and the stadium team will happily discuss the rationale behind the change. 

Regards

Adam

Adam,

Could you get someone to confirm the dimentions of a 'large rucksack" please?

Ta

On 29/07/2017 at 23:21, Pezo said:

Theres a massive difference between the champions league final and City v anyone.

I think this is all getting a bit silly - I know there is a threat but unless there is some clear evidence that City or AG is being targeted then I think this is over the top. Your more likly to die on your way to a game than to be killed by a terrorist at any time. These measures don't really make sense to me - there are loads of terrorist opportunities but this seems focused on a bomb in a bag and completely ignores any other possible attack - just moving the problem somewhere else isnt going to help if someone does feel the need to be a terrorist knob.

You are right but it's a sign of the times tbh.

Regardless of whether it's proportionate, it doesn't surprise me.

22 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

As far as I've read, small rucksacks (ie young kid ones) are fine. Larger ones are not. So unless City intend to provide a little shed somewhere (maybe the old ticket office?) as a bag drop area with lockers, don't take a mahoosive bag.

In my mind a large rucksack is something you take camping.  I'd argue that most of you worrying could argue that what you take to footie is 1) not large or 2) a backpack.  Subtle difference, and you'd hope common sense would prevail.  I take a hold-all, one of those over-shoulder numbers.  No, it's not a man-bag before you ask :P.  Plus it fits on the back of Joe's wheelchair.

Back in the late 1970s, my dad used to take his toolbox (old army ammo box) and and 'L' shaped piece of wood so me and my brother could stand on.  Imagine taking that now!  He did empty his tools out into the car boot beforehand, but it must've looked dodgy as anything!

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You are right but it's a sign of the times tbh.

Regardless of whether it's proportionate, it doesn't surprise me.

Its not a sign of the times though, we have had terrorisum as long as long as most people been alive.

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Its not a sign of the times though, we have had terrorisum as long as long as most people been alive.

yep and terrorism has evolved, it use to be car bombs with the IRA its now home made bombs in a bombvest or rucksack, 

We aren't the only club banning this I suspect, 

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

yep and terrorism has evolved, it use to be car bombs with the IRA its now home made bombs in a bombvest or rucksack, 

We aren't the only club banning this I suspect, 

Don't forget the shoe bombers 

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Oh God, we`re not going to have to take off our DMs and leave them in a shed like the 70s are we?

Sorry mate but it is the new rules so you have to wear flip flops. And you have to ask dolly if you can wear socks or not. She'll explain

Just seen on the web site that we are being asked not to take large rucksacks into the ground, what constitutes a large rucksack or large handbag, you should see my wife's you could loose the stadium in it. nothing on the Barnsley web site about it either. no e-mails sent to supporters either, also how about supporters who have several kids in tow and take food & drink in for them, to expensive in the ground to buy food and drink. and the punter who decides to go on a whim and takes a rucksack

Archived