IGNORED

Team V barnsley

Healeyred96

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Yes I'm expecting this. Sounds like that team played well on Fri. Even if Ripley signs I am doubtful he will go straight in as he has missed our preseason (would expect him to play v Plymouth though). Agree Wright right CB and Hegeler left. 

Plymouth will be quite a bit different I think. Baker will start I reckon with Bailey Wright as an opportunity to get them used to each other and I can see Gus getting a start along with COD. The rest of the side pretty much picks itself given injuries although we might move Jens into midfield in place of Korey or Marlon perhaps. The keeper will depend on who`s here - if we haven`t signed Ripley I can see Lucic getting a go.

Course, there may be more incoming by then, who knows?

Just a point about the Plymouth game. Is it played to a finish on the night and if so is there any extra time or is it straight to pens? Just need to give Mrs RRH an idea of what time I might be home if it isn`t done and dusted in the 90.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

If Flint goes then the back four will interesting as to who'll replace him.

The obvious one, Baker won't be up to speed having hardly played or trained although LJ did say that there might be a behind doors game arranged for him.

That leaves Hodur and Hegelar would could fill the void.

I'd say that Baker was a less than obvious choice, seeing as he's suspended.

Dear oh dear..

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'd say that Baker was a less than obvious choice, seeing as he's suspended.

Dear oh dear..

The reason LJ gave was that Baker hadn't  trained or played. If he mentioned suspension then I missed it...........bit like City's pre season.........:rofl2br:

FF/Rip

Pisano  Wright  Mags  Bryan

COD  Brownhill  Pack  Paterson

Reid

Diedhiou

Baker in for Mags when available. Engvall to compete for starting place with Famara. Couple of tough calls for sure!

I think he will go with:

Fielding

Pisano Hegeler Wright Bryan

Brownhill Pack Smith Paterson

Reid

Diedhiou

One things for sure, this team certainly has energy about it and is very youthful which is what we want to see ( as opposed to journeymen players and £).  

Personally, I am not sure about Reid. It is a big season for him. He is 24 and played 100 games or so now for City. Last year he had a good run and then got left out of the team. I think this followed a shocking performance at Wolves where he was outmuscled time and time again. Also played well to be fair in other games but this is it for him.   Cannot be said to be "one for the future". Now is his chance and I, for one, hope he takes it. I would have liked Engvall to have played given that he is match sharp and been scoring goals. Not sure LJ really fancies him, but we will see.....

What I do hope and pray is that LJ does not tinker with the team game after game, which I feel undermined us last season. He needs to stick with a settled 11 and go with it.  

-------------------------- FF ------------------------

-------------Wright--Flint--Mags------------

Pisano------------------------------------Bryan

-----------------Pack----Hegeler---------------

Paterson-----------------------------------Reid

-----------------------Diedhou--------------------

Subs:

Lucic

Moore

Goldboure

Smith

Odowda

Engvall

Wilbs/Hinds

Bench is fairly weak with the injuries up top

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

If Flint goes then the back four will interesting as to who'll replace him.

The obvious one, Baker won't be up to speed having hardly played or trained although LJ did say that there might be a behind doors game arranged for him.

That leaves Hodur and Hegelar would could fill the void.

That said,  suppose LJ could play a 3-5-2............

Isnt it great to have the football (almost) back!

LJ can't play NB in the Championship fixture vs BFC given that NB is suspended.

I think AF has to start with BW if he is still here. If AF doesn't start then it's clear he is off to another Championship club, maybe even an EPL club. LUFC, DCFC, AVFC, MFC?

If not AF then I imagine it will be JH who gets the nod ahead of HM. That being the team who started our final pre-season fixture vs FCT.

I highly doubt we will start with 3-5-2 after all the pre-season work.

COYR!

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Subs:

Lucic

Moore

Goldboure

Smith

Odowda

Engvall

Wilbs/Hinds

Not allowing me to edit but would replace Golbourne with Brownhill on the bench.

Moore - Covers the back 3 - Mags can move to LB if Bryan comes off

Brownhill - Covers CM and RB

Smith - Covers CM and RB

O'Dowda - Covers the CAM

Hinds and Engvall - Two different types of players from what I've seen and I feel it's good to have some contrast on the bench

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Subs:

Lucic

Moore

Goldboure

Smith

Odowda

Engvall

Wilbs/Hinds

Is this a prediction or your own preference? LJ has only used the 4-4-2 throughout the whole of pre-season so I can't see him changing now

Well the definites are:  Pisano, Wright, Bryan, Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Patterson, and Diedhiou.  There's no doubt in my mind that (injuries aside) all 8 of these guys are starting next Saturday.  That leaves 3 spots up for grabs..

Even if we sign another keeper, I'd imagine (and hope tbg) that Fielding keeps his place in goal for at least the first game so that's another spot penned in.

Only other places are the other centre back - definitely not Baker, probably not Flint (surely, he's going/gone), so likely either Hegeler or Magnússon on the left side.  I would've assumed Magners would get the start but seeing as he started Jens with Wright on Friday, then I think it's probably likely that LJ sees that as the starting pair.

After that you've got the second striker and with Taylor, Đurić and Wilbraham all seemingly unavailable, Bobby Reid looks like he'll get the chance to play off Famara with Engvall the backup foward on the bench raring to come on should we need it.  I wouldn't write us off signing another forward next week though (whether permanent or on loan), so for this reason I imagine Bobby's only pencilled in for now.

Fielding,
Pisano, Wright, Hegeler, Bryan,
Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Patterson,
Diedhiou, Reid

It's not the most exciting team we've had in the last few years but with hard work, organisation and hopefully improving players, I'm optimistic we can have a decent season.

Out of players who we still have-possible replacements in brackets 

Fielding (Ripley)

Pisano

Flint (Mags)

Wright

Bryan

O'Dowda

Brownhill 

Smith

Paterson

Reid

Diédhiou

However I do see Brownhill on the right with Pack and Smith in the middle of midfield I just would prefer O'Dowda on the right with Brownhill and Smith in the middle.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There's a part of me that thought LJ would play a couple of slightly different players against Twente to throw any watching managers off the scent.

But looking at the line-up, assuming Flint is off, then I think that'll be the side.  O'Dowda could start instead of Brownhill, but you'd think his performance plus 'old club' thing would make that unlikely.

Surely Magnússon won't start ahead of Hegeler.  I think LJ knows Flint will be gone ahead of Saturday, and has been getting Wright used to playing alongside the German. Baker is both suspended and not up to speed.

Why not? Mags is a lot better defender than Hegeler IMO. I would also maybe start O'Dowda instead of Pack but he did play well on Friday so who knows?

6 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Why not? Mags is a lot better defender than Hegeler IMO. I would also maybe start O'Dowda instead of Pack but he did play well on Friday so who knows?

I tend to agree, it's just that Wright and Hegeler have been partnered in more than one pre-season friendly.  Had that not happened I'd have thought Magnússon would be the man to partner Wright (until Baker is match sharp).

I think Pack is first choice CM, ahead of Korey and Josh.  I really hope Korey has had a pre-season that returns him to the player of 15/16 (before the persistent ankle injury made him less effective).  I think we started to see it at the end of last season.

Think O'Dowda will get plenty of game time, just think LJ might like the security blanket of Brownhill in front of Pisano, especially as he wants his full-backs to overlap.

At least this season us posters are posting a consistent 8/9 of LJ's line-up, last season it was impossible to get anywhere near guessing his starting 11.

9 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Subs:

Lucic

Moore

Goldboure

Smith

Odowda

Engvall

Wilbs/Hinds

I would AGREE  WAS THINKING LATE LAST SEASON THAT  A RETURN OF THE   3 5 2  IS THE WAY FORWARD     WE HAVE THE PLAYERS TO DO IT   SO GO FOR IT !  LJ             WOULD PLAY  BROWNHILL  THOUGH  INSTEAD OF HEGELER   AGAINST HIS OLD TEAM

Fielding

Pisano Wright Hegeler Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack Paterson

Reid Diedhou

O Dowda will be a great impact player after 60 minutes and give lots of energy.  He could be a starter in the near future, but Brownhill and Paterson looked good on Friday and deserve a start. I think LJ will start with Hegeler (if Flint goes) and hope he can be effective as a ball player and not need to do too much defensively.  It will then revert to Wright and Baker as a starting CB pairing.  Interesting to see who plays against Plymouth, plenty of chances for players to impress.  Engvall to start in the mid week match?

11 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Fielding

Pisano Hegeler Wright Bryan

O'Dowda Brownhill Smith Patterson

Diedhou Engvall

Hopefully LJ will play our inform Swedish international up front and not a midfielder out of position.:huh:

Have you not been watching pre season?

11 hours ago, Roe said:

Really surprised at some posters still leaving out Pack.

Just what I was thinking, Pack's one of first names on the team sheet for me. I think he's been absolutely superb the last few years.

Were a far better side when Pack plays, I think Pack and Smith in the middle with Brownhill out wide is fine, but I was gunna leave one out, it would be Korey Smith.  

Archived