IGNORED

Gareth Thomas - Hate In Football (Merged)

Beanhead9

23 hours ago, TRL said:

If hate was aimed at a individual who was gay, rather than a whole crowd of whom zero may be gay, then it would be homophobia.

I can assure anyone on here that there will always be at least a few gay people at a match for any team, whenever or wherever the match is. 

I know someone who is very well known supporter for his team, very well known on twitter etc, who is gay. However only close friends know this, due to the fact of how terrified he is of the abuse he could get if he ever came out. 

Bear in mind that this guy is also married to a woman, and has kids, but he has never been able to feel comfortable in who he is due to the world of homophobia in football, which is a main part of his life. It makes me think of how tough it is to be gay in such a situation  

Some of the saddest bits are that he tells me that he knows of other gay people that go to matches that almost feel scared just in case they might on the off-chance get attacked for who they are, and he tells me how he fears that they may follow the same path as he did and never accept/come to terms that he was gay until recently, when it's too late to be happy and true to oneself. 

I think it's just worth thinking about I suppose, that there are tens of thousands of lives in Ashton Gate, any single one of them could be fearing over their safety in a place we all know and love. To me, that's just dreadful..

34 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Neanderthals don't have ginger hair or clippers.

DNA evidence shows some were redheads, they were also likely to have used sharp shards of stone/obsidian to trim the excess.  They were however unlikely to have been given the Wahl men's grooming kit from Boots for Christmas.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

As a ginger myself I have long since reached the conclusion that it isn't me who needs to do something about it!

The only advice I'd give to a ginger wanting to come out is 'Wear factor 50, the sun is not your friend'.

Wow, what a seriously depressing hour. No surprise whatsoever that there are no openly gay male footballers in this country.

- 16 weeks of trying to get an interview with Greg Clarke and being ignored.

- Premier League refusing to be interviewed on camera

- what can only be described as a complete car crash of an interview with Graham Taylor and the Head of Equality at the PFA, who simply didn't have a clue or any plan of action to help any footballer who decided to come out

- the same tired old 'it's only banter' / there's no problem in football / the gays should stop forcing their views on us bollocks to justify the abuse. 

The only highlight was Thomas registering on a Palace fan site and inviting the worst homophobic abusers to meet him in person to discuss why they were posting such shite, and surprise surprise nobody turning up.

All this in 2017.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Jesus, you really don't get it, do you?

I get it , that program had potential to be a good program with a good cause. Ended up being all about Gareth Thomas and his massive ego!! Gay or straight that bloke is a fame hungry reality star out for himself and his career !!

8 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I get it , that program had potential to be a good program with a good cause. Ended up being all about Gareth Thomas and his massive ego!! Gay or straight that bloke is a fame hungry reality star out for himself and his career !!

Didn't get that at all TBH, he was an obvious person to present this programme given he is one of the few professional sportsmen to come out while still playing (and known (sadly!) for his Cardiff City celebrations after scoring a try).

Regardless, even if it was him trying to get publicity don't think it matters at all if he is trying to do something positive?

Agree with you in general about bloody reality TV stars, mind.

Interesting show. Leaves me uneasy to think that there are no openly gay footballers except the lad Rogers in LA.

Doesn't reflect well on fans, clubs, governing bodies or dressing room culture. And doesn't reflect wider views and acceptance within society. Depressing indictment of the game.

What will it take to change it though? More than rainbow laces that's for sure. I would like to think that if a player came out it'd be a non-issue for most but who will police the vocal bigoted minority?

I'm straight and very happy with that. Never ever thought about shagging a bloke.

More than ok that people who are LGBT plus the other letters (can't keep up with the changes). I've got some gay friends, no problem. What really get's my goat is having it rammed down my throat - no pun intended but I hope it doesn't become compulsory - each to their own. I am quite happy to accept that someone is gay etc. but why the need to continuously infringe on the majority of peoples ideas.

How far does it have to go?

Am I one of the vocal bigoted minority? I don't know, just speaking my mind.

39 minutes ago, freezer said:

I'm straight and very happy with that. Never ever thought about shagging a bloke.

More than ok that people who are LGBT plus the other letters (can't keep up with the changes). I've got some gay friends, no problem. What really get's my goat is having it rammed down my throat - no pun intended but I hope it doesn't become compulsory - each to their own. I am quite happy to accept that someone is gay etc. but why the need to continuously infringe on the majority of peoples ideas.

I think the problem is that talking about being gay has to be 'forced' into the 'common' football fans domain. Clearly, nothing is working so I don't see how else they can try to make the 'common' man understand a gay footballers perception.

However, talking about general life I completely agree. I'm straight but have no problems with anyone else being whoever they want to be as long as they aren't harming other people in the process. The one thing that does annoy me is when gay people purposely make you know they are gay by forcing their views on you, through speech, mannerisms, physically etc. It's okay, everyone is different, we understand... don't try to make me accept you by projecting your views on to me because it does the opposite.

30 minutes ago, freezer said:

I not sure what you think is being rammed down your throat. There are over 200 million professional footballers in the men's game alone and there is only one who has felt comfortable in coming out.  That's what the program was about it wasn't rammed down your throat, in fact, you could simply choose not to watch it. In fact, it means there are proabaly at least 16 million footballers uncomfortable with coming out + keeping it secret - definitely not ramming down your throat.

Why are we constantly made to feel uneasy and guilty because someone is gay?

If your gay , your gay! I couldn't give two ***** but I do give a shit about the constant need of reassurance the non gay community seem to be guilted into. 

I wouldn't dream of forcing the world and his dog to know or be made to accept me being heterosexual, so why is this topic always given such limelight.

If Your gay, deal with it and live your Life. 

All the equality stuff from the FA has always been about empty gestures such as wearing "Kick Racism out of Football" t-shirts for two minutes before games (a campaign viewed as so pointless by a black ex-footballer who was involved that he spoke out about and distanced himself from it) or that rainbow laces thing last year.

Those empty gestures are the sum of their interest and merely serve to tick the box that makes them appear to be doing something.  The reality is that they're a bunch of lazy incompetents who have done very nicely thank you from the rise of money in football and want to hang in in their well-paid tenures doing very little between meals until their pensions mature.

Good to see them exposed for the useless money grabbers they are every now and again.

5 hours ago, freezer said:

I think there's a lot of homosexual people with influential jobs in the television industry trying to ram it down our throats. 

3 hours ago, City1984 said:

Why are we constantly made to feel uneasy and guilty because someone is gay?

If your gay , your gay! I couldn't give two ***** but I do give a shit about the constant need of reassurance the non gay community seem to be guilted into. 

I wouldn't dream of forcing the world and his dog to know or be made to accept me being heterosexual, so why is this topic always given such limelight.

If Your gay, deal with it and live your Life. 

Agreed, as a white straight working man im pretty much at the bottom of the pile when it comes to positive descrimination. Im off to the straight pride event this weekend, and watching loose men on tv.

People can be who they are, thats fine, it shouldnt have been illegal to be homosexual in the past, there is a constant barrage of publicity, like those national trust name badges last week, when in reality most people dont really care and want to live their own lives.

44 minutes ago, swanker said:

I think there's a lot of homosexual people with influential jobs in the television industry trying to ram it down our throats. 

2F19372700000578-3347854-image-m-13_1449

31 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Agreed, as a white straight working man im pretty much at the bottom of the pile when it comes to positive descrimination. Im off to the straight pride event this weekend, and watching loose men on tv.

People can be who they are, thats fine, it shouldnt have been illegal to be homosexual in the past, there is a constant barrage of publicity, like those national trust name badges last week, when in reality most people dont really care and want to live their own lives.

It's the 50th anniversary of decriminalisation so you are going to keep hearing about it this year; it'll pass.

Whilst there is generally no problem with the LGB bit, except in football, there is with the T bit and I admit I'm uncomfortable with this myself.  There is a huge thread on Non Football chat about this with some very interesting contributions by @RalphMilnesLeftFoot (i.e. that's the place for debating it, not Football chat).

I assume the Q at the end is a placemarker for some currently undreamt of sexual status.

Respectfully, not sure I get this 'ramming down It down your throat stuff'?  What's the problem, really? If homophobia wasn't a problem in football (or to a slightly less degree) wider society then there would be little need (or I suspect desire to discuss it). However while it does it exist role models and other people involved in football DO need to speak out about it. There were gay fans in the programme who had been beaten up while attending games for being gay and ongoing intimidation remains -  it is an issue. 

As Gareth Thomas said about some of the keyboard warriors posting shite, what if they have kids who are gay?  This should and needs to be tackled. nobody is saying gay people want special treatment, it's about being able to enjoy football without fear of intimidation as most other fans do.

As a final aside, I also understand some white working class people feel they are being ignored while other ''agendas'' are promoted. However just because there may be some legitimate gripes it doesn't mean others should not seek to improve their situation.......

cheers

7 hours ago, freezer said:

Perfectly put. I don't care about any footballer's or any other person's sexual preferences. Just how they perform on the pitch while earning their inflated salaries.

I have only ever mentioned three of my personal preferences on this forum. My support for Bristol City, Bristol Rugby and due to my father's birthplace, my support for Wales in all sporting matters.

I get rather fed up by being continually told how wonderful it is to be homosexual. If that's what some people want, that's ok with me

I'm just happy being alive and enjoying it.

Homosexuals of both genders simply  want their sexuality to be seen as "normal" therefore ridding society of bigotry. 

Its a very slow process but they're getting there. 

For those of a heterosexual persuasion the exposure of homosexuality on the media, the festivals and marches et el can get tiresome but that must be the same for homosexuals who face bigotry in their day to day lives.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Homosexuals of both genders simply  want their sexuality to be seen as "normal" therefore ridding society of bigotry. 

Its a very slow process but they're getting there. 

For those of a heterosexual persuasion the exposure of homosexuality on the media, the festivals and marches et el can get tiresome but that must be the same for homosexuals who face bigotry in their day to day lives.

Really?  I've worked with three over the last few years and not one of them was treated any differently at work to anyone else (professionally or socially) and, except for one bloke who actually thought he was being funny by occasionally making jokes about it that the guy would have heard a hundred times before and wasn't anyway trying to be offensive, it was never even mentioned.

After work they would have gone home or out to a pub or club at which they felt comfortable.  I doubt any of them faced "bigotry" in their day to day lives.

16 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Really?  I've worked with three over the last few years and not one of them was treated any differently at work to anyone else (professionally or socially) and, except for one bloke who actually thought he was being funny by occasionally making jokes about it that the guy would have heard a hundred times before and wasn't anyway trying to be offensive, it was never even mentioned.

After work they would have gone home or out to a pub or club at which they felt comfortable.  I doubt any of them faced "bigotry" in their day to day lives.

So does this prove that there is no discrimination against gay people in society in general?  The mere fact that you say there was someone there who made jokes about their sexual orientation (though not trying to be offensive, of course) shows that there were issues.  Were there any similar jokes about people being heterosexual?

Sadly I have friends who say they experience bigotry most days because of their sexual orientation. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This isn't a debate about homosexual bigotry but my point was that a significant number of heterosexuals find homosexuality either offensive or amusing - bigotry in other words. 

Homosexuals just want their sexuality to be seen as perfectly acceptable in society.

Aren't the gay footballers who are "hiding" their sexuality the biggest problem here..?

If they come out, then it becomes normal. 

Nobody in this day and age cares if someone's gay. I personally don't like the whole forced exposure on TV and I don't see the need for someone to dress & act differently just because they happen to love another man. 

It's now just trendy to be gay and more of a fashion statement than about the real issues. 

Why should I have "gay season" programmes all over my TV channels. What's wrong with plain simple "programmes" which integrate all..?

It's another band wagon for the liberals & lefties to jump on. Be who you want to be and accept that not everyone will always like you. 

As some of you may know, in my early life I felt like I was a male in the body of a female. This lasted for about three quarters of a year. But then I was born and haven't had the problem at all since. Thus I have a great deal of empathy for those who are ridiculed for gender issues.

Archived