IGNORED

Mark Sampson - England manager

Bar BS3

How long before a proper/men's football team take a punt on this guy..? He's clearly got something in his management locker. 

I wonder what kind of club/offer would tempt him away from the England women's team..? 

Could he hack it in "real football"..? It would be interesting to see! 

I remember similar suggestions when England rugby won the World Cup. Clive Woodward is a top man manager, so must be a good shout to manage a football team. Southampton appointed him and found that he was awful, and he never managed again. I would suggest the same thing would happen with Sampson, as women's football is almost a different sport to League football.

4 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I remember similar suggestions when England rugby won the World Cup. Clive Woodward is a top man manager, so must be a good shout to manage a football team. Southampton appointed him and found that he was awful, and he never managed again. I would suggest the same thing would happen with Sampson, as women's football is almost a different sport to League football.

I get your comparison, although at least Sampson is involved in the same sport, even if at a completely different level. 

I wonder where (physicality aside) the England women's football team would compare too in men's football..? Conference maybe, or is that being harsh on them..? 

40 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How long before a proper/men's football team take a punt on this guy..? He's clearly got something in his management locker. 

I wonder what kind of club/offer would tempt him away from the England women's team..? 

I'm sure he could "hack it" but probably he'd have to start in the lower leagues so why would he want to leave a job as England manager? 

No idea how his salary compares to Southgate but I'd guess it's very seriously lower. Maybe a PL club offered him the managers job with a far better wedge he might be tempted. That said would any PL club offer the role to man with so little league experience?  I seriously doubt it.

1 minute ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I honestly believe it would be a division or two below that. If nothing else the standard of goalkeeping is parks football at best.

True, but that wouldn't effect Sampson's ability to manage in men's football. It's the same game and where women lack in certain areas, that wouldn't be an issue. In fact, the women are probably technically better than many men's L1/L2 level players. 

He would have different (arguably better) tools to work with. A bit like a championship team taking a punt on a highly regarded conference manager. 

Should he ever decide to try it, I'd suspect a L1 club, the likes of MK Dons would be a good fit. 

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Harry Redknapp was the Manager. Mr Woodward was a Director.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I'm sure he could "hack it" but probably he'd have to start in the lower leagues so why would he want to leave a job as England manager? 

No idea how his salary compares to Southgate but I'd guess it's very seriously lower. Maybe a PL club offered him the managers job with a far better wedge he might be tempted. That said would any PL club offer the role to man with so little league experience?  I seriously doubt it.

I would be very surprised if most L1 managers weren't on more money than the England women's team manager. 

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

i don't think sir clive was ever appoint manager, he was appointed performance director at southampton but didn't get on with Harry Redknapp, then director of football after harry had left 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I get your comparison, although at least Sampson is involved in the same sport, even if at a completely different level. 

I wonder where (physicality aside) the England women's football team would compare too in men's football..? Conference maybe, or is that being harsh on them..? 

You can't take the physicality out of the game unless you introduce a non-contact version.

In the standard game I think any town side down to league 10 or 11 in the pyramid would beat them though their skill levels would see them up to ?Div 4 if you took that out of it.

It's not compaable anyway, it's an amateur minority sport that gets excessive coverage because of the success of men's football.   I'm sure they train as hard but so do, for example, women's water polo players and that doesn't get headline coverage on the BBC.

As a reminder of how much of a lemon it is as a professional game:

• Notts County closed their successful women's football team at short notice in April this year.
  • Their estimated costs for the season ahead were £500k.
  • Their estimated revenues (tickets, programme sales, sponsorship) were £28k.  Not for one game, for the whole season.  £28k.

It will never make it as a professional sport.

(In case anyone thinks I have a downer on women's sport I don't.  I think women's tennis is great, better than the men's game, and like women's athletics).

I'm sorry but for anyone who's actually watched the women in this tournament, they don't string passes together, all they seem to do is lump it as far as possible. 

England are fortunate that they are playing teams further behind in their development, I don't think Sampson would flourish in men's football 

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You can't take the physicality out of the game unless you introduce a non-contact version.

In the standard game I think any town side down to league 10 or 11 in the pyramid would beat them though their skill levels would see them up to ?Div 4 if you took that out of it.

It's not compaable anyway, it's an amateur minority sport that gets excessive coverage because of the success of men's football.   I'm sure they train as hard but so do, for example, women's water polo players and that doesn't get headline coverage on the BBC.

As a reminder of how much of a lemon it is as a professional game:

• Notts County closed their successful women's football team at short notice in April this year.
  • Their estimated costs for the season ahead were £500k.
  • Their estimated revenues (tickets, programme sales, sponsorship) were £28k.  Not for one game, for the whole season.  £28k.

It will never make it as a professional sport.

(In case anyone thinks I have a downer on women's sport I don't.  I think women's tennis is great, better than the men's game, and like women's athletics).

I completely agree with your points, but that's not to say that a successful manager in the women's game could not be a successful manager in the men's game. 

Tactics, game plans, training, motivation, would all be relatively similar, I'd have thought. Hell, he could even make suggestions to the players 4 weeks a month, without getting his head bitten off..! (Joke!) 

6 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

i'm sorry but for anyone who's actually watched the women in this tournament, they don't string passes together, all they seem to do is lump it as far as possible. 

England are fortunate that they are playing teams further behind in their development, I don't think Sampson would flourish in men's football 

That is an attacking intent. England are counter attacking and going through very fast transitions. Its press, win,  one touch, bam, hit the sides and attack at speed when the opposition are out of balance. Its not being lumped as balls continually go into Nobbs wide and Bronze steams up in support. Hard to watch, but effective and planned.

England beat a team last night who are ranked higher than they are and whose development in womens football is more advanced. England is not a highly developed womens football nation.

I'd be interested to hear what women have to say about the standard of womens football and the level it could reach compared to mens. Was recently speaking to a womens coach who seems to think the top womens players should be able to play in the prem:blink: So be interested to hear some thoughts

27 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Bases on last night's game, a fair bit worse than conference. 

3 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

I'd be interested to hear what women have to say about the standard of womens football and the level it could reach compared to mens. Was recently speaking to a womens coach who seems to think the top womens players should be able to play in the prem:blink: So be interested to hear some thoughts

Perhaps if more women supported women's football, it could start to grow. As it is, it's completely unsustainable, without funding/association with a men's club. 

3 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Um, per my post above: no chance whatsoever will any woman be good enough to play in the top four divisions because of simple size and strength.

Unless Brienne fancies a kick about that is.

Brienne_of_Tarth-Gwendoline_Christie.jpg

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

There's nothing wrong with the question you're asking, I.e. Will Mark Sampson get a job in Men's football, and do you think he would be successful?

However, whether tongue in cheek or not, what you have said and the way the thread continued from there is incredibly disrespectful. I'm not one for the PC brigade or taking offence on other people's behalf, but I'd like to see what would happen to you if you went and told the England team, or any local women's team for that matter, that they don't play 'real' football. I don't get the constant need for comparison, this is an Elite competition for women, they've reached the highest level and that level will only continue to get higher. We couldn't even comprehend the level of effort it has taken them to get to where they are in football.

I've personally enjoyed the games I've seen of this Euros, but basically if you don't like it, don't watch it.

To answer the Mark Sampson thing, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets a job in the English leagues fairly soon, and good luck to the fella, he's done a good job in his current role.

33 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Wouldn't think quite conference standard....not even close.

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That is an attacking intent. England are counter attacking and going through very fast transitions. Its press, win,  one touch, bam, hit the sides and attack at speed when the opposition are out of balance. Its not being lumped as balls continually go into Nobbs wide and Bronze steams up in support. Hard to watch, but effective and planned.

England beat a team last night who are ranked higher than they are and whose development in womens football is more advanced. England is not a highly developed womens football nation.

I've watched a lot and I think they give it away an awful lot and even when not on the counter. A lot of the time it is lumped. Have to disagree that it's passed.  France are ranked higher but England's development in recent years have overtaken France etc. The work going on at Grassroots football for women is huge and it's reaping benefits for the national teams. Other countries have had steady growth whereas our rapid growth has nearly overtaken a lot of these countries now. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Um, per my post above: no chance whatsoever will any woman be good enough to play in the top four divisions because of simple size and strength.

Unless Brienne fancies a kick about that is.

Brienne_of_Tarth-Gwendoline_Christie.jpg

If serena or Venus Williams were any good at football...!

37 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

World class womens teams get beaten by Academy under 16 sides. I believe I saw some specific examnples on here last week?

Celebrate womans football for what it is. No comparison with the male game, and despite lots of right on comments regarding skill levels and honesty, it is very poorly attended outside of major international tournaments.

7 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

There's nothing wrong with the question you're asking, I.e. Will Mark Sampson get a job in Men's football, and do you think he would be successful?

However, whether tongue in cheek or not, what you have said and the way the thread continued from there is incredibly disrespectful. I'm not one for the PC brigade or taking offence on other people's behalf, but I'd like to see what would happen to you if you went and told the England team, or any local women's team for that matter, that they don't play 'real' football. I don't get the constant need for comparison, this is an Elite competition for women, they've reached the highest level and that level will only continue to get higher. We couldn't even comprehend the level of effort it has taken them to get to where they are in football.

I've personally enjoyed the games I've seen of this Euros, but basically if you don't like it, don't watch it.

To answer the Mark Sampson thing, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets a job in the English leagues fairly soon, and good luck to the fella, he's done a good job in his current role.

I am ill-disposed towards it at the moment because of the BBC's blanket and often decitful coverage of it.  I am sure that they train as hard but so do volleyball players for example and I don't see that getting banner headlines and live showings of games.

It is statements such as these on the BBC that have me comparing it because they are:

The result ensured boss Mark Sampson created his own history by becoming the first England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey in 1968 to reach consecutive semi-finals at major tournaments, having also guided his team to third place at the 2015 World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40765772

In England's opening group match against Scotland, the 31-year-old Arsenal striker joined Sir Geoff Hurst and Gary Lineker in becoming the only England players to score hat-tricks at major tournaments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40769996

21 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wouldn't think quite conference standard....not even close.

When I completed a coaching course via the Somerset FA one of the tutors was a female Yeovil coach.  Her skill level was above any of the eighteen males taking the course including ex conference and western league level. Skill is of course different to physicality, but it is a standard where females can excel.

18 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I've watched a lot and I think they give it away an awful lot and even when not on the counter. A lot of the time it is lumped. Have to disagree that it's passed.  France are ranked higher but England's development in recent years have overtaken France etc. The work going on at Grassroots football for women is huge and it's reaping benefits for the national teams. Other countries have had steady growth whereas our rapid growth has nearly overtaken a lot of these countries now. 

Its a tactic. The special ones teams prospered on less than 30% possession like England v Spain women. Sampsons tactics of introducing the ball into areas (the sides) are not so different. It is not lamping it back to front because they avoid Taylor playing on here own up top.

The work going on at Grassroots football for women is huge ... And there is an award winning women's team in South Bristol. A lot is going on, its not huge.

England's development in recent years have overtaken France etc ... Sorry England has neither the licensed coaches or facilities and that includes junior football for males.

Our rapid growth has nearly overtaken a lot of these countries now ... Hardly. Female football in Bristol is growing but the leagues v male junior football are small and often consist of seven or eight teams only who have to travel greater distances than male counterparts to get games.

Just now, Eddie Hitler said:

I am ill-disposed towards it at the moment because of the BBC's blanket and often decitful coverage of it.  I am sure that they train as hard but so do volleyball players for example and I don't see that getting banner headlines and live showings of games.

It is statements such as these on the BBC that have me comparing it because they are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40765772

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40769996

I completely agree with you. I think it is its own sport and should be treated as such. On BBC there should be a Women's Football section just like there is Formula 1, Tennis etc.

The coverage is OTT and I imagine that the vast majority of people who visit the BBC Football page will not be the slightest bit interested in half the articles on there at the moment.

The 'if you don't like it, don't watch it' approach is all well and good, but it's impossible to get away from right now.

Archived