IGNORED

It sounds like we are going to be "harder to beat" this season.....

Jack Dawe

....well, harder at least, listening to LJ on Radio Bris just now. 

Famara is harder than Tammy, and Pisano doesn't **** about (and might need to be calmed down a bit). Add to this Bailey Wright who as we have seen likes to "get involved" and can tackle from behind without bothering the ref overly; and "Bakes," who again, is a bit of a bruiser.

If Flint clears off, we're only losing a 6'5" softie who never gets booked let alone sent off. Even DaveFevs says Flinty is "too nice," and that's something from someone as nice as DaveFevs.

Throw in Gary O' Neil and his "throwback" reckless sliding lunges, and we could be a team to be reckoned with (or, if we lose 8 in a row this season, at least we'll have a few red cards to show for it). 

I trust we have practiced playing with ten men in pre-season?

Its not just about being tougher. Its more about being cynically professional!

too nice = drag a man down and take a yellow rather than let him run past. 

We lack some streetwise footballers using their experience to be streetwise and be nasty with the cynical fouls. 

Hopefully we can do this now and see games out by breaking down play like this. 

5 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Its not just about being tougher. Its more about being cynically professional!

too nice = drag a man down and take a yellow rather than let him run past. 

We lack some streetwise footballers using their experience to be streetwise and be nasty with the cynical fouls. 

Hopefully we can do this now and see games out by breaking down play like this. 

Yep, couldn't agree more.

@Jack Dawe am I nice in a good way :P 

I was too nice a CB too.  Only booked 9 times (4 for backchat) over the years....although I was very "Darren Anderton" injury-wise!

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

About time! Wouldn't it be great to hear frustrated home fans leaving their stadium after City have done a spawny 1-0 job on them, moaning about our cynical antics and timewasting. :D

Would be great to hear it from Colin after we do one on Cardiff ;)

5 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Famara is harder than Tammy, and Pisano doesn't **** about (and might need to be calmed down a bit). Add to this Bailey Wright who as we have seen likes to "get involved" and can tackle from behind without bothering the ref overly; and "Bakes," who again, is a bit of a bruiser.

If Flint clears off, we're only losing a 6'5" softie who never gets booked let alone sent off. Even DaveFevs says Flinty is "too nice," and that's something from someone as nice as DaveFevs.

Throw in Gary O' Neil and his "throwback" reckless sliding lunges, and we could be a team to be reckoned with (or, if we lose 8 in a row this season, at least we'll have a few red cards to show for it). 

Don't knock Pisano JD. The Italian will have a great season and come May 2018 all City fans will be wishing they could be Eros, just for one day.

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Pato and Josh B can be a couple of nasty little buggers too from what I`ve seen and Marlon`s certainly toughened up over the last year as well.

Bristol City 2017: Harder Than You Think.

12 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Why does think baker has a sending off issue? hasn't he only been sent off 3 times in 200 odd appearances? 

Why do the same posters feel the need to bring up the same subjects every 5 minutes, we got it the first 50 times

49 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Why does think baker has a sending off issue? hasn't he only been sent off 3 times in 200 odd appearances? 

Why do the same posters feel the need to bring up the same subjects every 5 minutes, we got it the first 50 times

I think it's from that game at home, can't remember the opposition where even the most casual fan could see the relentless baiting, cynical tugs, and dodgy tackles metered out to Baker once he had his yellow. Everyone around me was shouting for him to be subbed because we knew what was going to happen....and it did. 

Well we're going to have to toughen up defensively and stop conceding so many as frankly can't see where the goals are going to come from at the moment. Even LJ admitted last night that Famara ain't 'instinctive' or a 'poacher' in front of goal. Big improvement needed defensively otherwise we're gonna be in the soup.

14 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

The season has not even ******* started and you have ******* cursed it already.

Thanks!

:punish:

tfj

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well we're going to have to toughen up defensively and stop conceding so many as frankly can't see where the goals are going to come from at the moment. Even LJ admitted last night that Famara ain't 'instinctive' or a 'poacher' in front of goal. Big improvement needed defensively otherwise we're gonna be in the soup.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Would be good if we could toughen up....it was embarrassing at times last season....0-3 up drew 3-3.....2-0 up lost 2-3.....2-1 up lost 2-3....0-2 up drew 2-2....etc etc.....could have been so different....

Most certainly, just those 9 points that we lost in those results would have seen us finish 11th on 63 points. If that would have happened I think the majority of us would have been very happy! 

2 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Most certainly, just those 9 points that we lost in those results would have seen us finish 11th on 63 points. If that would have happened I think the majority of us would have been very happy! 

Can you answer a question, please?

Your icon? What IS that over his shoulder??

:blush:

tfj

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wonder how many of Abraham's goals were from inside the 6 yard box or an instinctive finish from being in the right place at the right time after clever movement (e.g. Huddersfield)? It's a guess, but rather a lot I would say.

At the moment our options up front frighten me, and not in a good way, unless Diedhiou hits the ground running.

As for defence, I don't see much evidence that our manager is interested in coaching a 1-0 / 2-1 type of team that can grind out wins. It seems to me he's intent on attack and precious little thought is given to how the team as a whole remains solid when doing so. I think he's happy to win 3-2 if he can.

That's fine, up to a point. But we all know a team that can't keep clean sheets and also struggles to score is not a good combination. Diedhiou has it all to do and I don't envy him.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd say a big part of his success in front of goal for us will be how the championship compares, to the top two divisions in France, where he scored plenty in their second tier and a few in their top. 

He can clearly score goals, but I understand what LJ is saying he's not so much of a poacher like Tammy.. seems like he'll be much more physical and will actually run at defenders. 

I agree with your comments, I am also fearful of where our goals are going to come from.. hopefully Diedhou hits the ground running, and Reid adds goals to his game in this new role of his.

But our midfield are certainly going to need to chip in more this season. if I'm not wrong between Pack, Smith and Brownhill scored 3 between them last season. I think O'Neil got 1 as well. 

I'd expect at least 10 between them this season.. I think Brownhill will chip in with more goals this season for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Bit more creativity around set pieces will help too

Yes it will. But with Tomlin gone I'm prepared to wager we'll score chuff all direct from free kicks and if Flint goes chuff all from corners.

Others identify more goals from midfield as important and I agree massively but the chances of that coming from our current options - honest triers all - are again chuff all, imho. I just don't get where the evidence is that Brownhill will suddenly become a 10 goals a season merchant - if someone can point to what he did last season to enlighten I'll be more than happy.  

47 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If City players toughen up and get smart it's good, but when Neil Warnock gets his teams to do the same he gets called names. Life's strange isn't it?

image.jpeg

yep

Sorry anyone who wants large response but I think yep does it.

Archived