IGNORED

Team for Saturday

Ashtonwurzel

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

You wouldn't play Smith?!

In the team I would play, I would only play either smith or pack. Based on last seasons form I would have pack ahead of smith. I understand that many will disagree but smith disappointed me last season as we all know what he's capable of. If he can produce his form of the 2 seasons prior to last I may have a different opinion

25 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I wouldn't start him, nor thought he excelled. Pack is a much better player, and Brownhill gives a different aspect. 

Amazed anyone thinks Pack is better than Smith but there you go.  Once Smith got over his injury niggles in the last 6 games and played in correct position I thought he was our best player.  He should be forgiven before that. 

I think he's been our best player for the last few years and is good enough to play in much better teams.  

I don't mean this to sound condescending but it will do - perhaps his work goes unnoticed. 

11 hours ago, petehinton said:

He was dropped a few times toward the end of his first season.

Not true at all.

Flint was injured at Shrewsbury in the March and missed the rest of that season iirc.

By then he was already regularly displaying the sort of form we have come to expect from him ever since, and had won over many of his original doubters.

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Amazed anyone thinks Pack is better than Smith but there you go.  Once Smith got over his injury niggles in the last 6 games and played in correct position I thought he was our best player.  He should be forgiven before that. 

I think he's been our best player for the last few years and is good enough to play in much better teams.  

I don't mean this to sound condescending but it will do - perhaps his work goes unnoticed. 

I think you're wrong. Never reached the performances from the season before imo. 

14 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Pack's a better passer, surely? And probably better in the air, due to his height. And has a better shot. Korey is more mobile and flexible, with a lower centre of gravity. He covers more blades of grass than Marlon. Puts opponents under pressure.

They have different skills, attributes. They complement each other, I think.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think Pack is far better technically and perhaps its actually his work that goes unnoticed - winning headers etc. I would like to see Brownhill/Pack in midfield together eventually but would go with Pack/Smith this weekend.

I think Smith looks busy, and thus people think he's having a good game. In actual fact he gives the ball away quite a lot.

As you say though, different opinions.

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Pack's a better passer, surely? And probably better in the air, due to his height. And has a better shot. Korey is more mobile and flexible, with a lower centre of gravity. He covers more blades of grass than Marlon. Puts opponents under pressure.

They have different skills, attributes. They complement each other, I think.

They are different, yes.

Who wouldn't look out of place in a low Premier League side, from our squad?  I would say Smith and potentially Bryan.  But that is all.  

Would be interested to know if I rate Smith higher than most or if it is just you and a couple of others on this thread.  I've been watching since 1988 and would have him in my best XI team alongside Shelton in midfield. 

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

They are different, yes.

Who wouldn't look out of place in a low Premier League side, from our squad?  I would say Smith and potentially Bryan.  But that is all.  

Would be interested to know if I rate Smith higher than most or if it is just you and a couple of others on this thread.  I've been watching since 1988 and would have him in my best XI team alongside Shelton in midfield. 

Korey has had injury, while Pack has had a run in the team. It's hard to choose. I don't kid myself I could do the job better than LJ (honest; but reserve the right to rail against him with some ott cobblers when we are sh1te and I am miserable though!) and would not know who to rate highest, if you had to pick one.

Just now, Ashtonwurzel said:

He looked decent last Friday but how good were Twente is the question.

Had the discussion with a mate. Personally thought they weren't really interested in pressing our backline and had no real physical threat up top. Certainly the latter I'd imagine he would struggle with. 

17 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I rate Smith highly. I rate Pack even higher. But they're both better with the other alongside them.

I can't stress how important that pairing is. IMO.

We'll be getting bids in for these two next.....

57 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Pack is far better technically and perhaps its actually his work that goes unnoticed - winning headers etc. I would like to see Brownhill/Pack in midfield together eventually but would go with Pack/Smith this weekend.

I think Smith looks busy, and thus people think he's having a good game. In actual fact he gives the ball away quite a lot.

As you say though, different opinions.

Exactly this. Couldn't have put it better myself Phil

9 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Diedhio will hopefully be the next 20 goal hero...still to prove anything yet. Flint.....not a regular scorer...relying on a centre back! Pisano....eh?

So you agree the whole midfield hasn't contributed much in the past.

City's pre-season was against woefull opposition.....shock to system on Saturday when the fun starts.

Oh forgot to add...yeah Paterson the 20 million player who barely played last season. He was just a product of LJ's desperation in changing formation and players to try and win.

Wil you be attending this season Thatch? 

From reading your posts on the forum I'd imagine going down Ashton Gate these days is a chore for you. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Unless we make a surprise signing it will be the team that started v Twente:

Fielding

Pisano

Wright

Hegeler

Bryan

Pack

Smith

Brownhill

Paterson

Reid

Diedhiou

Think your spot on. Can't see anyway Flint will start.

Would be good to see Hegler run the game from the back, would be a string to our bow that we haven't for a day or two.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not true at all.

Flint was injured at Shrewsbury in the March and missed the rest of that season iirc.

By then he was already regularly displaying the sort of form we have come to expect from him ever since, and had won over many of his original doubters.

You're quite right. God knows how I forgot that. I had it in my head that I can remember him being sub and warming up at HT but must've been earlier in the season. 

I can see Hegeler and Wright starting at the back on Saturday and thought they did really well on Friday, but have big concerns about Hegeler defensively. He seems to shy away from a header and can't see him making many crunching tackles.  As long as he is protected in the role, he can be a big asset in moving the play forward quickly.  Not long now, can't wait.....

1 hour ago, South stander said:

I can see Hegeler and Wright starting at the back on Saturday and thought they did really well on Friday, but have big concerns about Hegeler defensively. He seems to shy away from a header and can't see him making many crunching tackles.  As long as he is protected in the role, he can be a big asset in moving the play forward quickly.  Not long now, can't wait.....

I think Hegeler is a decent footballer but not sure about him as a central defender in the Championship. If Flint is not playing and I was the Barnsley manager I'd have my biggest centre forward on the park and I'd be saying dominant Hegelar, Wright and Fielding. Neither one of the three is very dominant in the air.

A surprising number of people that have decided Hegeler is a centre half - based on what exactly?  He's hardly ever played there, he's a natural central midfielder and played almost all of his career there.

I'd go like this.

-------------------------------Fielding-------------------------------

Pisano----------Wright-----------Flint------------Bryan---

Patterson--------Smith---------Pack-------O'Dowda

----------------------Engvall-----Diédhiou-----------------------

I know LJ won't.  He will have three attacking players in the XI not four and most likely it will be last week's team although if Reid's up front against a Championship side I'll be annoyed.

Anyway, it's Barnsley at home, no need to play only one up.  We should be looking to start with banging three or four past them.  Flint will not be moving this week IMO.  I don't really like Patterson out wide but we don't have enough other options.  Thought about maybe Magnússon at left back and Bryan in front of him instead of O'Dowda but can't remember reading if he's fit?

Pack / Brownhill / Hegeler is a toss up for me.  I'm not a Pack fan and although I acknowledge defensively he improved a whole lot last season still feel that he slows us down so much going forward by holding the ball forever and telegraphing his passing.  Many will disagree, that's fine.  Brownhill's looked alright particularly going forward but not sure about in a two man midfield.  I thought Hegeler looked really good early on after signing, but he hasn't played a lot recently so won't be as sharp.  (I'm assuming O'Neil's legs have still fallen off like they had for the second half of last season.  If he was anything like he looked this time last year I'd pick him over Pack personally.)

Engvall won't get picked but the little I've seen of him he has good movement and finds space (and scores) and Diedhiou looks like he can create and link as much as score, I think that could work.

I still think we're a keeper, a right sided winger and a quality central midfielder short although for the latter we'd have to shift a couple.  If Engvall goes home we'll need a striker too unless Taylor is fit soonish and up to it.

At least there'll be some actual football to talk about.

7 hours ago, Nibor said:

A surprising number of people that have decided Hegeler is a centre half - based on what exactly?  He's hardly ever played there, he's a natural central midfielder and played almost all of his career there.

I'd go like this.

-------------------------------Fielding-------------------------------

Pisano----------Wright-----------Flint------------Bryan---

Patterson--------Smith---------Pack-------O'Dowda

----------------------Engvall-----Diédhiou-----------------------

I know LJ won't.  He will have three attacking players in the XI not four and most likely it will be last week's team although if Reid's up front against a Championship side I'll be annoyed.

Anyway, it's Barnsley at home, no need to play only one up.  We should be looking to start with banging three or four past them.  Flint will not be moving this week IMO.  I don't really like Patterson out wide but we don't have enough other options.  Thought about maybe Magnússon at left back and Bryan in front of him instead of O'Dowda but can't remember reading if he's fit?

Pack / Brownhill / Hegeler is a toss up for me.  I'm not a Pack fan and although I acknowledge defensively he improved a whole lot last season still feel that he slows us down so much going forward by holding the ball forever and telegraphing his passing.  Many will disagree, that's fine.  Brownhill's looked alright particularly going forward but not sure about in a two man midfield.  I thought Hegeler looked really good early on after signing, but he hasn't played a lot recently so won't be as sharp.  (I'm assuming O'Neil's legs have still fallen off like they had for the second half of last season.  If he was anything like he looked this time last year I'd pick him over Pack personally.)

Engvall won't get picked but the little I've seen of him he has good movement and finds space (and scores) and Diedhiou looks like he can create and link as much as score, I think that could work.

I still think we're a keeper, a right sided winger and a quality central midfielder short although for the latter we'd have to shift a couple.  If Engvall goes home we'll need a striker too unless Taylor is fit soonish and up to it.

At least there'll be some actual football to talk about.

I think most have posted what they think the team will be, not what they would do 

Archived