IGNORED

Bristol City Women 2017/18 Fixtures

phantom

• Admin

Everton's return to Women's Super League One will start with the first Merseyside derby in the competition for three years when they host Liverpool.

The new winter season, starting on 23-24 September, sees Everton in WSL 1 after their successful bid to replace the now defunct Notts County Ladies.

Manchester City, the 2016 champions, travel to Yeovil Town on the opening weekend, while Reading host Sunderland.

Chelsea, who won 2017's one-off WSL 1 Spring Series title, host Bristol City.

Meanwhile, 2011 and 2012 title winners Arsenal will host May's beaten Women's FA Cup finalists Birmingham City.

Both Yeovil and Bristol City were promoted from WSL 2 at the end of 2016 - the final summer campaign before the top two tiers of the women's game in England switched to a winter calendar - and featured in the WSL 1 Spring Series between April and June.

Everton, who were relegated from the top tier in 2014, were crowned WSL 2 Spring Series champions in May.

The Spring Series was established as a transitional competition to bridge the 10-month gap created by the shift between summer and winter seasons.

In WSL 2, promoted Tottenham Hotspur begin life in the second division with a trip to Durham, while Brighton, who first featured at that level in the Spring Series, travel to Aston Villa.

Doncaster Rovers Belles, relegated after one season back in the top flight in 2016, travel to London Bees for their opening game.

Opening fixtures

WSL 1

• Arsenal v Birmingham City
  • Chelsea v Bristol City
  • Everton v Liverpool
  • Reading v Sunderland
  • Yeovil v Manchester City

WSL 2

• Aston Villa v Brighton & Hove Albion
  • Durham v Tottenham
  • London Bees v Doncaster Rovers Belles
  • Millwall Lionesses v Watford
  • Oxford United v Sheffield FC

Hmm, some points to mention I think:

Most games on Saturday are 5:30pm kick-off, except v Sunderland, which is a 'double-header'. The men are playing at the Gate (3:00) and then the women at the SGS (6:00). OK, seems logical when both City teams are home, but the same happens on Jan 13 - men v Norwich, women v Everton but that's a 5:30pm kick-off. Of course, I understand that these are the initial fixtures and liable to change so hopefully there will be some encouragement for us fans to see both in reasonable time.

Other than that, seems the rush to the finish takes place in the Spring; two League games per month at the most, but four in April.

COYV

19 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I feel the women should play at the gate all the time . just makes it easier to see them and comfier than out at that college pitch. I feel the move should bring the women to the gate full time.

Open the Gate for a few hundred to come in?

I don't think many of the top womens sides play at the home ground of the club, and I suspect its because even with pitch technology, the less its used the better.

If we were having open house though, then I would much rather watch the Under 18s at the Gate if the games could be organised to fit. Much better standard and an opportunity to run the rule over potential future first teamers.

Archived