IGNORED

The cheek of Flint...

EmersonsRed

I don't understand why people are surprised by players wanting to move on.... Unless you support Barcelona or real Madrid then there will always be bigger clubs and even Barcelona look likely to lose Neymar... people say things like 'there's no loyalty in football anymore' but why should he be loyal to a small club in a city that he'd probably never been to before his move.... If he can earn more and potentially move up a level elsewhere so good luck to him....

Also may I add it is possible to hold a club dear to your heart and also want to move.

1 minute ago, Judda said:

I don't understand why people are surprised by players wanting to move on.... Unless you support Barcelona or real Madrid then there will always be bigger clubs and even Barcelona look likely to lose Neymar... people say things like 'there's no loyalty in football anymore' but why should he be loyal to a small club in a city that he'd probably never been to before his move.... If he can earn more and potentially move up a level elsewhere so good luck to him....

Also may I add it is possible to hold a club dear to your heart and also want to move.

Loyalty?

The same reason why YOU don't go and support Man Utd or Barcelona.

(Totally different if the lad was from Bristol).

tfj

Lee Johnson wants rid of Flint apparently and gets criticism. 

Well if the option is keep Flint or replace him with Baker and a couple of million too it's absolutely ridiculous to criticise, notwithstanding Flint himself being open to a move in any case. Of course most would want rid :blink:

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Were threads and threads to that end in Cotts L1 squad

I'm sure there were but you could have threads like that now. It's only when the topic is negative the "ITK" come out and talk about if only you knew. I'm sure people know a bit more than I or an average poster but it's attention seeking at its finest when you say you know something but don't say anything 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I'm sorry, rant incoming....but it really gets me going when people talk with sympathy about present day footballers only having a short career. Their playing days might finish mid thirties but that doesn't mean they can never work again does it? Retrain, learn new skills, try something similar or totally different. Many 'normal' people go through their working lives doing different types of work, why shouldn't they???

Ok let's assume at 35 they never work again, surely with the money they have earnt they should have more than enough saved to live comfortably. Who spends five or ten grand a week ffs, and if they fritter it all away they deserve to struggle. But feel sorry for footballers in this day and age with all the poverty in our city never mind the world, no chance.

Rant over. Thank you.

I agree with your views. If we were to talk about Joe Bryan for example I would agree, but Flint has had time before turning pro. With the greatest respect to the guy this is his one chance to make money to set him up for life. Good luck to him

1 hour ago, WSMRobin said:

Can you provide something tangible to back this up?

Of course, it's obvious.

LJ wanted Flint gone so badly that he selected him in every one of his starting line ups, just to advertise him to other clubs. 

Look at last season for example. He even put Flint in a situation where he had to meet Harry Redknapp. 

If he'd have wanted to keep him here, he would have dropped him, so that nobody else could see what he was like..! 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course, it's obvious.

LJ wanted Flint gone so badly that he selected him in every one of his starting line ups, just to advertise him to other clubs. 

Look at last season for example. He even put Flint in a situation where he had to meet Harry Redknapp. 

If he'd have wanted to keep him here, he would have dropped him, so that nobody else could see what he was like..! 

Ah, how cunning. Thanks for clearing it up...... and to think we put LJ down as being clueless!! ;)

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm sure there were but you could have threads like that now. It's only when the topic is negative the "ITK" come out and talk about if only you knew. I'm sure people know a bit more than I or an average poster but it's attention seeking at its finest when you say you know something but don't say anything 

It's gossip. It is an essential part of being human. 

Humans have gossiped for thousands of years. And gossip tends to be - but not always - something negative about another person or persons, far more captivating than "the lads all get on tremendously."

Gossip is a "strategy," used by a person, or persons, to "further their own interests and reputations at the expense of others" but it is also a social skill and helps cement an individual's place within his own circle. Something like that.

It's not always juicy but often is, and juicy stuff draws more people in than benign whispers. No surprise here that rumours about conflict and fallings out spread on here.

59 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Because we didn't have a replacement? It wouldn't be the first time a player was told to get on with it, the Man U goalkeeper springs to mind.

Flint recently signed an improved long term contract, and played virtually every game last season, why would City suddenly want to offload him, it just doesn't make sense, if however his agent had been pushing his name around and a couple of clubs took the bait, and Flint was aware of the cash on offer...........

To quote LJ:

"In the summer we had a conversation with the agent. The agent made it clear that there is interest. And if there is interest where Aden can maximise his earnings and his potential moving forward then they would be interested in exploring it."

Seems to me the kind of thing players and their agents do all the time. I don't blame them for wanting to maximise their earnings - though I do when they pretend it's nothing to do with money.

Nor do I blame clubs for not much liking it and for themselves looking to maximise the fee they get.

All in all it's just the way things are so I see no grounds for conspiracy theories nor for being angry with either party.

Forgive me if I am confused here - I thought we had two transfer windows where players often moved between clubs. 

This is what makes the football merry go round keep turning. 

Some players we may feel delighted to move on - others we may feel we wish to keep - however  certain fact in the life of almost ALL footballers is they will move between clubs to make the most of their career and the most money they can until they are totally happy with life!!

I'd love to see both Flint and Bryan stay - but think they will both move one day!

good luck to them both - whenver that day comes ...

in the meantime support the eleven that take to the pitch in seek of the 'holy grail' that is the Premier League (whenever we get there..)

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

To quote LJ:

"In the summer we had a conversation with the agent. The agent made it clear that there is interest. And if there is interest where Aden can maximise his earnings and his potential moving forward then they would be interested in exploring it."

Seems to me the kind of thing players and their agents do all the time. I don't blame them for wanting to maximise their earnings - though I do when they pretend it's nothing to do with money.

Nor do I blame clubs for not much liking it and for themselves looking to maximise the fee they get.

All in all it's just the way things are so I see no grounds for conspiracy theories nor for being angry with either party.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :clap:

i also wonder whether 1) Flint would rather go somewhere better than Brum (lure of 'Arry or not) and 2) City would rather he went somewhere else too.

Player unsettled . Good work from the agent . Let him go he deserves to be able to maximise his earning potential. 100% committed. Not the most gifted of players but plays well With what he's got . We're small fry in this league . Good luck big man . Nice little earner for us . He obviously wants to leave 

4 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

"He's a good lad, Aden - he's definitely had his head turned, there's no question of a doubt about that,"

A quote from LJ. Surely a ******* joke? I'm no fan of his as I've made very clear over the past 4 years, but having your head turned by Birmingham? They've 12 months until they are in turmoil again after Harry sacks it realising he can't get promoted by spending money easily...

Bye Flint, cheers for your goals in league one... I'll drop you there if needed.

Wouldn't it be Boro and Leeds also?

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

I'm intrigued to know why you have turned from defending LJ , a lot, a few months ago, to the extent where I thought you were one of the Johnson clan who sign up to this forum under various names (looks like I was wrong), to being very critical of him now?

Understandably. I was very much in the "Johnson In" camp at the beginning of the season, but after getting to know him better and seeing that almost whatever he says is a ****in lie I turned against him. I'm not the only one and I'm not talking about posters on here...

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And we believe everything that LJ/the club says do we?

The naivety of people on this forum astonishes me at times.

We're about to lose probably our most important player at the club. Of course the club have to put some kind of spin on it.

I generally like your posts but am a little confused by your logic here.

I don't believe everything the club says for a second but I really don't get the motive as you are presenting it. Why is it better for the club to claim we are losing a player who does not see us as a big enough club to match their ambition rather than that we want to upgrade and improve on a key position? The latter makes us sound ambitious, the former makes us sound like a club who cannot compete with teams in our division. Why would we want to put that spin on it if the other explanation is true?

On top of which, Flint is - as you say - arguably our most important player. He is, I think from memory, the only player in our squad bar Tammy who was not dropped by LJ at any point last season. He signed a contract extension when LJ was manager. None of this ties in with the idea LJ wants rid of him - or at least that he wanted rid of him before his agents expressed an interest in taking him elsewhere...

Don't get me wrong - maybe you are right and maybe you know something I do not but at the moment you are presenting something as logical and rational where, on the face of it, the motives do not appear to add up...

2 minutes ago, Benni said:

Understandably. I was very much in the "Johnson In" camp at the beginning of the season, but after getting to know him better and seeing that almost whatever he says is a ****in lie I turned against him. I'm not the only one and I'm not talking about posters on here...

:huh:

6 minutes ago, Benni said:

Interesting - bits I've highlighted would be very odd things to say coming from someone who didn't know Johnson personally/have some involvement with the club... hmm 

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Sorry CR you don't know that, this is not the first or last time a player has gone from hero to zero at this club, if he was "turned" why take him to Tenerife ?

It's a reasonable supposition that he wants to move for cash. It's human.

Any move to Birmingham would kind of prove the point, assuming he's not fallen out with LJ. 

25 minutes ago, shelts said:

Player unsettled . Good work from the agent . Let him go he deserves to be able to maximise his earning potential. 100% committed. Not the most gifted of players but plays well With what he's got . We're small fry in this league . Good luck big man . Nice little earner for us . He obviously wants to leave 

Player unsettled. 100% committed? 

Which one is it? 

20 minutes ago, Benni said:

Or he understands that business is better conducted behind closed doors, it doesn't benefit us to say in public we're willing to sell or how many bids we receive. 

29 minutes ago, shelts said:

With respect If we keep thinking that, we are never going to improve are we. Would love to hear SL's reply.

26 minutes ago, Benni said:

Absolutely not. I'm a Bristol City fan who happens to have inside information through my contacts in agency and scouting.

Are you living in Bristol?  How well do your contacts know Bristol City and the internal goings on?

Just now, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Be gutted when Flint leaves, great player for us and always looking dangerous at corners, won't forget his hat trick game.

shame to see him go but that's football, he's one of the few players that I currently hold quite highly in the current team (probably due to the L1/JPT nostalgia)

Unless the bid is significant, he'll be going nowhere. I'm not yet convinced anyone will get near a price that SL will accept. 

4 hours ago, Benni said:

So you don't believe that Lee decided to sell Flint a long time ago?

And fair play to him I'd say, Lee is doing what is best for the club imo.

Flint is probably at optimal value given age etc so cash in now as he's already had the foresight to bring in a more than adequate replacement in Baker.

Am I right in saying that SL recently said that the fanbase shouldn't get too attached to a player and that one of our objectives is to be financially savvy?

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And we believe everything that LJ/the club says do we?

The naivety of people on this forum astonishes me at times.

We're about to lose probably our most important player at the club. Of course the club have to put some kind of spin on it.

Well we know witch side of the fence you sit.

Our most important player? Time will tell on that, has he so many suitors that he can't make his mind up?

It' seems you (and a few others) know what's going on down the gate and disaster is looming.

Were on the road to nowhere with Johnson and unless He goes and or Lansdown releases his iron grip we as a club are ****** right?          

3 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

And fair play to him I'd say, Lee is doing what is best for the club imo.

Flint is probably at optimal value given age etc so cash in now as he's already had the foresight to bring in a more than adequate replacement in Baker.

Am I right in saying that SL recently said that the fanbase shouldn't get too attached to a player and that one of our objectives is to be financially savvy?

I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling players for a good price and getting others in instead. I think most posters on here are missing my point. The thing is that Lee's comment today where he said that Flint has had his head turned is pathetic because he has not had his head turned and is 100% committed to the club. Flint did not ask for a move and Lee made the decision a long time ago to sell Flint. 

Archived