IGNORED

A more positive media view on our prospects

Wolf Island

9 minutes ago, jellyred said:

I was hoping there would be a bit more on us in the article but I'll take the few words of positivity as that seems to be the only good thing about us in the media as yet

Tbh it's amazing we're mentioned -  albeit in a single sentence off the back of Cardiff's and then a focus on our player.  I've seen a few season previews that literally don't even mention us.

e.g. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10965176/sky-bet-championship-guide-your-201718-season-preview

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Tbh it's amazing we're mentioned.  I've seen a few season previews that literally don't even mention us.

e.g. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10965176/sky-bet-championship-guide-your-201718-season-preview

Wasn't it the same last year as well where literally every other team in the championship got a mention apart from us?

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Tbh it's amazing we're mentioned -  albeit in a single sentence off the back of Cardiff's and then a focus on our player.  I've seen a few season previews that literally don't even mention us.

To be fair, they are reviewing Title, play-off and relegation contenders......of which, probably, we are none.

They also don't mention Cardiff, Preston, Reading and Brentford who they probably see as steady, mid-table finishers

Hate to poop the party but the Guardian usually preview us favourably, at least they have done in the past few years, since around the Gary Johnson time. Think they have a soft spot for us. But it won't have anything to do with a letter I once wrote to Anna Kessel including lines like, "you London-journo-types, who have to remind yourselves where anywhere outside your steaming-pile-of-horse-manure-that-you-call-a-capital-city is via a map."

Thankfully they've forgotten that, but may have lost their sense of perspective, too, putting us as looking to the play-offs. I guess they have to name as many dark horses as they can, pre-kick-off, so that they can look back on it come May and say how they knew Birmingham were title favourites (!)

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

To be fair, they are reviewing Title, play-off and relegation contenders......of which, probably, we are none.

They also don't mention Cardiff, Preston, Reading and Brentford who they probably see as steady, mid-table finishers

I suppose so. Guess I should be grateful that they see us as so uninteresting that it's not even worth trying to push the odds they're offering on us.  Here's to a glorious season that's over by April with us never bothering the top or bottom of the table.

47 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We are the very darkest of horses it would seem.

I'm happy for us to fly under the radar but wish the journalists and pundits would be a little less lazy - just because a team has recently been relegated from the Prem or has a high profile has-been or two on their books doesn't mean they're nailed on auto promotion certs. Looking at you Villa :P 

10 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Wow - I'm (pleasantly) surprised at their optimism

I still struggle to find 3 teams definitely worse than us, but 7 or 8 who are similar

Agree, my ambition whilst still under LJ is just to finish top of the bottom 6. Love to have to eat humble pie if we end up doing any better.

Just now, old_eastender said:

Agree, my ambition whilst still under LJ is just to finish top of the bottom 6. Love to have to eat humble pie if we end up doing any better.

I just don't see that we're stronger than last year at any particular position, other than right back and possibly centre back

That worries me

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I still struggle to find 3 teams definitely worse than us, but 7 or 8 who are similar

I'm hoping Burton, Millwall, Barnsley & Bolton. Things don't look good at Ipswich, either.

Then I run out..

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Well you will keep selling our players effing players stop that and we might have a chance. 

On the other hand we are that team again. No one expects much' but we have now made a decent signing in baker and we hope the other main signings are decent. The key is going to be in the form of those promoted to first team squad Odowda and a couple of others. 

Im confident we won't go down and I'm hoping for a surprise run that doesn't fall off the rails come September. A few Young Bobby goals would help too!  

Satdee nearly here. Thank F

Just now, REDOXO said:

Well you will keep selling our players effing players stop that and we might have a chance. 

On the other hand we are that team again. No one expects much' but we have now made a decent signing in baker and we hope the other main signings are decent. The key is going to be in the form of those promoted to first team squad Odowda and a couple of others. 

Im confident we won't go down and I'm hoping for a surprise run that doesn't fall off the rails come September. A few Young Bobby goals would help too!  

Satdee nearly here. Thank F

Ha - I've made enough from the Wilbs deal to quit the game now. Lucrative

Pato - he's the one I'm banking on this season, think he will be our star

21 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Ha - I've made enough from the Wilbs deal to quit the game now. Lucrative

Pato - he's the one I'm banking on this season, think he will be our star

Good news. You can go and join the Tax Free Exiles somewhere.  Sure SL would let you hitch a ride

my point exactly. We bought players to develop. Judgement on last season by anyone is a bit hasty. Patterson, Brownhill and Ododa all have great carriers in front of them, let's hope this is the beginning of their time. BR included. Not to forget Teddy Taylor. 

Archived