IGNORED

Lansdown- you're killing my club

Marina's Rolls Royce

Was the most ludicrous and misguided statement made last season by a tearful chap on Twentyman's phone in almost as sad a way as the 2 divorces/Thatcher's Government bloke who at least had a point when his club was relegated from the football league.

Much of what was said last season was fake news, conspiratorial or just plain venom, deeply personal and wrong. Lansdown didn't kill our club, we didn't get relegated, the fans didn't stay away and Lee didn't lose the dressing room.

Every paying City fan is entitled to an opinion but where that opinion gets confused is in the ownership and possession of their club . Of course us fans get deeply sometimes obsessively emotionally attached to our club and the boundary between being a fan and having rights over what goes on gets blurred. We have a right to attend matches and expect to see committed players but much beyond that- we don't because we don't own our club- No we don't. We are the lifeblood of its existence but not the owners. Same as customers of any business.

Yesterday an OP accused the club of cheating the fans by entering into "undisclosed fees"- he felt as it was his money he had a right to know. The day that the fan receipts ( match day and merchandise) pay for the running of our football club then I suggest then and only then do we have a right to demand sackings/transfers and a change of ownership but until that happens we have an owner who funds the huge losses this club makes and it ain't because of ego, a rich man's plaything or a secret tax loss. It's because he loves BCFC and he loves sport and he loves Bristol.

So for him to be cast as the AntiChrist with LJ as his Satanic side kick is just plain ignorance. Killing our club? I think you could certainly accept the blue few thinking that about Higgs as they dropped out of the League and now without the stadium they so desperately needed. Bolton fans, Portsmouth fans, Morecambe , Hereford, Coventry, Orient, Blackburn  could all  all justifiably say that an owner was at some point killing their club but Lansdown? That's just plain silly and as laughable as it is ignorant.

So as we stand on the eve of another Championship campaign , let's just remember who owns the club and who makes the decisions and exactly who's money it is that buys us new players and gives us a superb stadium, training facilities and more than anything- optimism for the future. A BCFC for the future.

Players come and players go - that's football and Steve said as much. Wilbs going means more salary for a younger player with a career ahead not behind him, Flint going will be good business for the club but disappointing to many fans who have elevated him to iconic status. Conspiracy theories are exactly that- conspiracy theories. Those ITK are invariably guilty of "a little knowledge is dangerous". Yes people can of course get snippets but it seems usually that it's snippets given by someone with an agenda inside the club- the unhappy father of a player who thinks they should be paid more, the relative of an international who thinks he should play more, someone who lost their job, overlooked for promotion etc. But one things for certain the real truth is known only by 3 possibly 4 individuals who own and run the club and they don't talk. At least not to us.

The problem I have with some on OTIB and footie fans in general are those that are waiting for the club/manager to fail to prove they were right all along. Some posters only post negative comments and disappear if the club does well or switch their discontent to tickets, the price of bovril, or anything that perpetuates their negative outlook on life. 

Lee Johnson will eventually move on but not because the fans think he should but because him or Steve does. Players will come here because they get sold on a dream and a stack of cash and , if any good, will move to another club for exactly the same reason. And who can blame them in a career that's maybe 15 years long?

What pleases me most is that there's a great disconnect between the doom and gloom merchants and conspiratorial theorists on here and the passion displayed at BS3 even when we're on a bad run.

Another new season for us all and we aren't going to win every game and LJ will continue to learn by making mistakes same as any young Manager. The best news is that no one's killing our club- in fact they're breathing life into it.

42 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Was the most ludicrous and misguided statement made last season by a tearful chap on Twentyman's phone in almost as sad a way as the 2 divorces/Thatcher's Government bloke who at least had a point when his club was relegated from the football league.

Much of what was said last season was fake news, conspiratorial or just plain venom, deeply personal and wrong. Lansdown didn't kill our club, we didn't get relegated, the fans didn't stay away and Lee didn't lose the dressing room.

Every paying City fan is entitled to an opinion but where that opinion gets confused is in the ownership and possession of their club . Of course us fans get deeply sometimes obsessively emotionally attached to our club and the boundary between being a fan and having rights over what goes on gets blurred. We have a right to attend matches and expect to see committed players but much beyond that- we don't because we don't own our club- No we don't. We are the lifeblood of its existence but not the owners. Same as customers of any business.

Yesterday an OP accused the club of cheating the fans by entering into "undisclosed fees"- he felt as it was his money he had a right to know. The day that the fan receipts ( match day and merchandise) pay for the running of our football club then I suggest then and only then do we have a right to demand sackings/transfers and a change of ownership but until that happens we have an owner who funds the huge losses this club makes and it ain't because of ego, a rich man's plaything or a secret tax loss. It's because he loves BCFC and he loves sport and he loves Bristol.

So for him to be cast as the AntiChrist with LJ as his Satanic side kick is just plain ignorance. Killing our club? I think you could certainly accept the blue few thinking that about Higgs as they dropped out of the League and now without the stadium they so desperately needed. Bolton fans, Portsmouth fans, Morecambe , Hereford, Coventry, Orient, Blackburn  could all  all justifiably say that an owner was at some point killing their club but Lansdown? That's just plain silly and as laughable as it is ignorant.

So as we stand on the eve of another Championship campaign , let's just remember who owns the club and who makes the decisions and exactly who's money it is that buys us new players and gives us a superb stadium, training facilities and more than anything- optimism for the future. A BCFC for the future.

Players come and players go - that's football and Steve said as much. Wilbs going means more salary for a younger player with a career ahead not behind him, Flint going will be good business for the club but disappointing to many fans who have elevated him to iconic status. Conspiracy theories are exactly that- conspiracy theories. Those ITK are invariably guilty of "a little knowledge is dangerous". Yes people can of course get snippets but it seems usually that it's snippets given by someone with an agenda inside the club- the unhappy father of a player who thinks they should be paid more, the relative of an international who thinks he should play more, someone who lost their job, overlooked for promotion etc. But one things for certain the real truth is known only by 3 possibly 4 individuals who own and run the club and they don't talk. At least not to us.

The problem I have with some on OTIB and footie fans in general are those that are waiting for the club/manager to fail to prove they were right all along. Some posters only post negative comments and disappear if the club does well or switch their discontent to tickets, the price of bovril, or anything that perpetuates their negative outlook on life. 

Lee Johnson will eventually move on but not because the fans think he should but because him or Steve does. Players will come here because they get sold on a dream and a stack of cash and , if any good, will move to another club for exactly the same reason. And who can blame them in a career that's maybe 15 years long?

What pleases me most is that there's a great disconnect between the doom and gloom merchants and conspiratorial theorists on here and the passion displayed at BS3 even when we're on a bad run.

Another new season for us all and we aren't going to win every game and LJ will continue to learn by making mistakes same as any young Manager. The best news is that no one's killing our club- in fact they're breathing life into it.

As long as its the same as yours egh!

49 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Another new season for us all and we aren't going to win every game and LJ will continue to learn by making mistakes same as any young Manager.

Marina, it was a great post until I read the above quote. It's so negative and pessimistic. I've reworded it for you.  Please edit it into your original. Thanks!

A new season for us all and we're going to win every game. LJ will continue to be a brilliant young manager.

Thank you MRR for your post.

As we embark on a new season, with all of the inevitable ups, downs and emotions that will come with it, your post, which makes many valid points, serves as a solid reality check to City fans.

Everyone attached to BCFC has a part to play, as fans let's make that a full and supportive part.

Football is the peoples game all over the world bar the UK where it is fast becoming quirky outdoor theatre for the middle classes. SL is part of the problem, along with most owners in the UK. The cheapest STs at AG are up 17% this year. But then again we don't want poorer people in the stadium do we? He dumped red on the Rugby Clubs kit last year, a move he presumably copied of Vincent Tan. Another sound decision.

If you posted this on an Italian, German, French or literally any other country football forum, what would the reaction be? The majority would laugh this off the forum. They know that the club is its supporters and the idea of an Owner dumping his crap branding (which no one can explain. Why do we need it?) whilst pushing prices up is rejected...outright.

Sure the stadium is nice but just because an estranged father buys his kid a loads of presents at Christmas, does not make it right. 

The entire topic should be pinned to the top of the page and made compulsory reading every time someone who is under 18 or not attended at least three seasons of gut wrenching angst of watching BCFC prior to posting comments about Sir Steve or ownership of the club. 

It's not 'crap branding' it's the way to run a successful business group.

Having different HR, managers, assistants, facilities, physics, training areas for all the sports he supports (yes that's what he's doing, he doesn't need to make more money) makes no business sense. Combine all those 'non-value added' (ugh) together into the brand makes for a more streamlined and efficient business allowing more funds for nice facilities and better players. 

10 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Football is the peoples game all over the world bar the UK where it is fast becoming quirky outdoor theatre for the middle classes. SL is part of the problem, along with most owners in the UK. The cheapest STs at AG are up 17% this year. But then again we don't want poorer people in the stadium do we? He dumped red on the Rugby Clubs kit last year, a move he presumably copied of Vincent Tan. Another sound decision.

If you posted this on an Italian, German, French or literally any other country football forum, what would the reaction be? The majority would laugh this off the forum. They know that the club is its supporters and the idea of an Owner dumping his crap branding (which no one can explain. Why do we need it?) whilst pushing prices up is rejected...outright.

Sure the stadium is nice but just because an estranged father buys his kid a loads of presents at Christmas, does not make it right. 

You keep mention the price increase, it's not an increase its paying the same as everone else in that stand, why should you get special treatment while the rest of us pay more? you use the same facilities so you should have to pay the same as the rest of us full stop,

Yes in the atyeo and the east end and the williams you can pay less because its wasn't up to the standard of the rest of the ground but not now 

3 minutes ago, williamsredngrey said:

It's not 'crap branding' it's the way to run a successful business group.

Having different HR, managers, assistants, facilities, physics, training areas for all the sports he supports (yes that's what he's doing, he doesn't need to make more money) makes no business sense. Combine all those 'non-value added' (ugh) together into the brand makes for a more streamlined and efficient business allowing more funds for nice facilities and better players. 

That's not what a brand is though is it? What you've stated is effectively cost sharing between the multiple teams which is fine. Please explain the reason behind the branding which is over-powering the individual brands of two clubs with over 250 years of combined history. 

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

here we go again another negative post.

I maybe proved wrong as early as Saturday but yes we will.

Just now, Welcome To The Jungle said:

That's not what a brand is though is it? What you've stated is effectively cost sharing between the multiple teams which is fine. Please explain the reason behind the branding which is over-powering the individual brands of two clubs with over 250 years of combined history. 

last time i checked the branding said Bristol City on it

It's not the people who purely have opinions like this that I have a problem with - while I agree with you on Lansdown's right to do with the club what he will, it's very, very easy to see the view of fans who believe they should have at least some say in what happens at the club.

No, what I can't stand is the people (and yes, I mean on either side of the Johnson debate), who begin every post by saying something like:

"while you have your blinkered/clueless/wrong opinion, soon everyone will see that I was right!"

I have no problem with debates getting heated, but I immediately switch off when I read posts that start like that. This isn't something we want to win - we want City to win. If we actually have a proper discourse without all the smug chestbeating, I reckon we'd end up on the same page with a lot of City talk, and with far less ill will.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You keep mention the price increase, it's not an increase its paying the same as everone else in that stand, why should you get special treatment while the rest of us pay more? you use the same facilities so you should have to pay the same as the rest of us full stop,

Yes in the atyeo and the east end and the williams you can pay less because its wasn't up to the standard of the rest of the ground but not now 

I think that's a small section of his wider point you've chosen to focus on. I don't think the former EE/Williams/Atyeo group who are now in the SS demand cheaper tickets so it's wrong to attempt to misrepresent this. He's not saying he should pay less, just that it's a shame tickets are they price they are.

WTTJ is a big advocate of 20 is plenty which is a whole different argument.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Why doesn't everyone pay less? I did the maths on another thread a few months ago and I think the club would be 180,000 worse off if the SS payed last seasons Atyeo prices. That assumes that no one buys more food with their extra cash in hand and no extra fans take up cheaper tickets. 

Our cheapest tickets are double Huddersfield's (who got promoted) last season and they could sit anywhere in the ground. We're being fleeced. 

Just now, Monkeh said:

Play a game of count the logos. I make it 4-2 to Bristol Sport over Bristol City

3eaf68c5408992232953f4bf0204b8d1.jpg

This is a particularly fun game. However no one can still answer the question, why is it necessary? 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'm sorry but it clearly all says Bristol Sport, but your blinkered view will only allow you to see Bristol City :D , as anyone can clearly see by all the reports about us in the news we are obviously no longer Bristol City FC but Bristol Sport, look at the league table we are obviously down as Bristol Sport.

RIP Bristol City FC.

What a spot on post MRR. 

Lansdown made his choice and we have to watch whether we agree or not but like you say, we will still be here long after LJ, Wilbs, Flinty etc have gone.

20 odd years of City under my belt and it's still the hope that hurts most. Disappointment I can deal with but hope gets me right in the gut everytime.

The suggestion that SL is "killing" the club isn't one I'd agree with. But I can't agree with the sunnier views of his stewardship either. The ground now looks great but a glance at the league tables will show you that we remain a League One/Championship yo-yo club. If that was his objective it's not one he's ever shared publicly...I think he'd expected more...let's hope things will move forward on the pitch this season.

Good post MRR! 

Whilst I can certainly understand and appreciate the frustrations of last season, it is water under the bridge and we are now on the eve of a new season starting with a clean slate.

Lets get behind the team and see where it takes us.

I disagree with the main point of the story, but I agree with your criticisms of the previous post.

Regarding the previous persons opinion, in reality the fans don't provide that much in terms of income to a club. Gone are the days where the fans can say that they pay the players wages. In reality, it's around 10% of their wages. Additionally, the club is a private entity, so they have no more reason to disclose their accounts than any of us do. With that being said, "undisclosed" usually means "we got shafted by the other team", especially when that other team decides to say how much they paid. As sad as it sounds, we're all customers: nothing more, nothing less.

For me, Lansdown should be judged as any leader would be judged, on the performance of his team. That means that even though he's poured a lot of money into this club, he shouldn't be free of criticism for taking the club down the wrong path. Much of the criticism is not around hiring the wrong personnel, but around the overall approach of the club, and that is entirely Lansdown's fault. In my view, the five pillars strategy is what relegated us in the past. Its removal during the Cotterill era got us promoted again, only for it to return the second we get promoted. Lee Johnson's appointment was largely because he agreed with his Lansdown wants to run the club, and we're now at the fabled point where we see if the clubs position on youth is going to pay off.

Lansdown has done brilliantly as an owner, but the criticism he received last season was 100% justified. With that being said, it's a new season, and the club deserves a fresh slate to prove that they know what they are doing. If the club succeed then LJ has done a good job, and Lansdown/Ashton and co can be happy with their work. If the club flirt with relegation again then LJ should be sacked, and Lansdown would rightly receive criticism once again for hiring a Yes Man.

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Why doesn't everyone pay less? I did the maths on another thread a few months ago and I think the club would be 180,000 worse off if the SS payed last seasons Atyeo prices. That assumes that no one buys more food with their extra cash in hand and no extra fans take up cheaper tickets. 

Our cheapest tickets are double Huddersfield's (who got promoted) last season and they could sit anywhere in the ground. We're being fleeced. 

Play a game of count the logos. I make it 4-2 to Bristol Sport over Bristol City

3eaf68c5408992232953f4bf0204b8d1.jpg

This is a particularly fun game. However no one can still answer the question, why is it necessary? 

so are 11 other clubs in the championship then because their cheapest is more expensive then our, in fact we are bang average, its to high but unless the the entire ELF change then there is nothing we can do about it,

My ticket hasn't gone up since I moved to the south stand and since before that it never went up when I was in the east end/williams, in fact the last time it went up was 2008 when I was in the Atyeo, I was paying 347 quid then I'm paying 370 now a 6% increase in 9 years

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

The suggestion that SL is "killing" the club isn't one I'd agree with. But I can't agree with the sunnier views of his stewardship either. The ground now looks great but a glance at the league tables will show you that we remain a League One/Championship yo-yo club. If that was his objective it's not one he's ever shared publicly...I think he'd expected more...let's hope things will move forward on the pitch this season.

we aren't a yo-you club we've been relegated 3 times since 1982

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Ah, but those wanting to look  for a problem you will look much harder than you in order to find it Monkeh. 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

so are 11 other clubs in the championship then because their cheapest is more expensive then our, in fact we are bang average, its to high but unless the the entire ELF change then there is nothing we can do about it,

My ticket hasn't gone up since I moved to the south stand and since before that it never went up when I was in the east end/williams, in fact the last time it went up was 2008 when I was in the Atyeo, I was paying 347 quid then I'm paying 370 now a 6% increase in 9 years

Is there anything at all since the Bristol Sport involvement that you don't like?

Archived