IGNORED

Lansdown- you're killing my club

Marina's Rolls Royce

Just now, Monkeh said:

so are 11 other clubs in the championship then because their cheapest is more expensive then our, in fact we are bang average, its to high but unless the the entire ELF change then there is nothing we can do about it,

My ticket hasn't gone up since I moved to the south stand and since before that it never went up when I was in the east end/williams, in fact the last time it went up was 2008 when I was in the Atyeo, I was paying 347 quid then I'm paying 370 now a 6% increase in 9 years

Yes. The problem lies within English football, not just SL, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and be better than everyone else. You could get a ST at nearly any club in the world outside the UK for cheaper than you are paying. English football is broken but I'd love BCFC to be something that is right in the broken system, rather than just going along with it.

I'm not suggesting anything radical though. I'm suggesting cheaper prices, not for me, but for everyone. 

15 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Why doesn't everyone pay less? I did the maths on another thread a few months ago and I think the club would be 180,000 worse off if the SS payed last seasons Atyeo prices. That assumes that no one buys more food with their extra cash in hand and no extra fans take up cheaper tickets. 

Our cheapest tickets are double Huddersfield's (who got promoted) last season and they could sit anywhere in the ground. We're being fleeced. 

Play a game of count the logos. I make it 4-2 to Bristol Sport over Bristol City

3eaf68c5408992232953f4bf0204b8d1.jpg

This is a particularly fun game. However no one can still answer the question, why is it necessary? 

In terms of prominence, what do I notice the most when I see this?

Firstly the shirt sponsor's name, booth's fair enough in view of what they pay for the sponsorship. The next thing is the two City badges - the club branding.

If I look hard I can see smudges on shirt and socks but couldn't tell you what they represent - unless I already knew, of course - and at a guess many would think it the kit suppliers branding.

If I'm honest, the thing I noticed first of all is Marlon's tattoos,  but that's a different issue ! :)

Just now, Monkeh said:

we aren't a yo-you club we've been relegated 3 times since 1982

Have it your way but that's what we currently appear to be to me. However, if we're going back to our status since 1982 it would probably be more accurate to call us a League One club that occasionally gets promoted... yo-yo is far too optimistic! We've not felt an established Championship club since GJ left, and then only briefly. If SL was planning to build a club fit for the Prem...and I know he was...he's still got a long way to go.

20 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

What a spot on post MRR. 

Lansdown made his choice and we have to watch whether we agree or not but like you say, we will still be here long after LJ, Wilbs, Flinty etc have gone.

20 odd years of City under my belt and it's still the hope that hurts most. Disappointment I can deal with but hope gets me right in the gut everytime.

yep

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Was the most ludicrous and misguided statement made last season by a tearful chap on Twentyman's phone in almost as sad a way as the 2 divorces/Thatcher's Government bloke who at least had a point when his club was relegated from the football league.

Much of what was said last season was fake news, conspiratorial or just plain venom, deeply personal and wrong. Lansdown didn't kill our club, we didn't get relegated, the fans didn't stay away and Lee didn't lose the dressing room.

Every paying City fan is entitled to an opinion but where that opinion gets confused is in the ownership and possession of their club . Of course us fans get deeply sometimes obsessively emotionally attached to our club and the boundary between being a fan and having rights over what goes on gets blurred. We have a right to attend matches and expect to see committed players but much beyond that- we don't because we don't own our club- No we don't. We are the lifeblood of its existence but not the owners. Same as customers of any business.

Yesterday an OP accused the club of cheating the fans by entering into "undisclosed fees"- he felt as it was his money he had a right to know. The day that the fan receipts ( match day and merchandise) pay for the running of our football club then I suggest then and only then do we have a right to demand sackings/transfers and a change of ownership but until that happens we have an owner who funds the huge losses this club makes and it ain't because of ego, a rich man's plaything or a secret tax loss. It's because he loves BCFC and he loves sport and he loves Bristol.

So for him to be cast as the AntiChrist with LJ as his Satanic side kick is just plain ignorance. Killing our club? I think you could certainly accept the blue few thinking that about Higgs as they dropped out of the League and now without the stadium they so desperately needed. Bolton fans, Portsmouth fans, Morecambe , Hereford, Coventry, Orient, Blackburn  could all  all justifiably say that an owner was at some point killing their club but Lansdown? That's just plain silly and as laughable as it is ignorant.

So as we stand on the eve of another Championship campaign , let's just remember who owns the club and who makes the decisions and exactly who's money it is that buys us new players and gives us a superb stadium, training facilities and more than anything- optimism for the future. A BCFC for the future.

Players come and players go - that's football and Steve said as much. Wilbs going means more salary for a younger player with a career ahead not behind him, Flint going will be good business for the club but disappointing to many fans who have elevated him to iconic status. Conspiracy theories are exactly that- conspiracy theories. Those ITK are invariably guilty of "a little knowledge is dangerous". Yes people can of course get snippets but it seems usually that it's snippets given by someone with an agenda inside the club- the unhappy father of a player who thinks they should be paid more, the relative of an international who thinks he should play more, someone who lost their job, overlooked for promotion etc. But one things for certain the real truth is known only by 3 possibly 4 individuals who own and run the club and they don't talk. At least not to us.

The problem I have with some on OTIB and footie fans in general are those that are waiting for the club/manager to fail to prove they were right all along. Some posters only post negative comments and disappear if the club does well or switch their discontent to tickets, the price of bovril, or anything that perpetuates their negative outlook on life. 

Lee Johnson will eventually move on but not because the fans think he should but because him or Steve does. Players will come here because they get sold on a dream and a stack of cash and , if any good, will move to another club for exactly the same reason. And who can blame them in a career that's maybe 15 years long?

What pleases me most is that there's a great disconnect between the doom and gloom merchants and conspiratorial theorists on here and the passion displayed at BS3 even when we're on a bad run.

Another new season for us all and we aren't going to win every game and LJ will continue to learn by making mistakes same as any young Manager. The best news is that no one's killing our club- in fact they're breathing life into it.

Thank you for your contribution Maggie.

49 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Why doesn't everyone pay less? I did the maths on another thread a few months ago and I think the club would be 180,000 worse off if the SS payed last seasons Atyeo prices. That assumes that no one buys more food with their extra cash in hand and no extra fans take up cheaper tickets. 

Our cheapest tickets are double Huddersfield's (who got promoted) last season and they could sit anywhere in the ground. We're being fleeced. 

Play a game of count the logos. I make it 4-2 to Bristol Sport over Bristol City

This is a particularly fun game. However no one can still answer the question, why is it necessary? 

In the case of the logo on the kit, BS make it. If Adidas or Nike or whoever else made it it, their logo would out number the City one. 

48 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

But aren't those 4 BS logos the 'manufacturer' logos in this case?  Subtle Branding, Clever Branding, Too Much Branding....you decide.

What would be in those positions if they were made by Adidas or Umbro?  Their logos.

As above, I'm drawn to the City badge and the sponsor.

(luckily I can't see the Oxford tag!)

29 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Have it your way but that's what we currently appear to be to me. However, if we're going back to our status since 1982 it would probably be more accurate to call us a League One club that occasionally gets promoted... yo-yo is far too optimistic! We've not felt an established Championship club since GJ left, and then only briefly. If SL was planning to build a club fit for the Prem...and I know he was...he's still got a long way to go.

There are so many ways of looking at things - we go into our 9th Championship season in eleven seasons tomorrow, under SL. That's pretty good, post 1980. No PL yet under SL but he is keeping our heads just above the Championship water, for the most part.

But I know what you mean!

35 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I make it 13 out of 35 seasons in this league and below that for the remainder. Happily stand corrected, but it tends to support your view that we are league 1 who come up for air occasionally, accepting that the most recent history makes us more second tier.. 

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is there anything at all since the Bristol Sport involvement that you don't like?

the BS logo, its shit, The BS website its a bit shit too, other then that I don't see much difference from before them and after them,

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

the BS logo, its shit, The BS website its a bit shit too, other then that I don't see much difference from before them and after them,

I mean really the 'feel' of the football club. I like some aspects of the 'new way' but there were things I felt the 'old way' did better.

47 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Yes. The problem lies within English football, not just SL, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and be better than everyone else. You could get a ST at nearly any club in the world outside the UK for cheaper than you are paying. English football is broken but I'd love BCFC to be something that is right in the broken system, rather than just going along with it.

I'm not suggesting anything radical though. I'm suggesting cheaper prices, not for me, but for everyone. 

Oh I wholly agree with that, we should be paying no more then 20 quid a ticket in the championship, thats a fair price,

Infact I think I posted it before,

Prem = No more then 30 quid

Championship = No more then 20

League one = no more then 15 quid

LEague 2 = no more then a tenner

8 quid for conference

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I mean really the 'feel' of the football club. I like some aspects of the 'new way' but there were things I felt the 'old way' did better.

Thats looking at it through the old rose tinted googles, City are no different then most other Clubs, Bristol Sport in no evil empire trying to destroy our history,

Modern football as a whole is just not what it use to be and really a bit shitty, I Loved the atmosphere on the terracing some of the best times and people fondly remember it, but they forget the aggro you use to get to go along side it,

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think they have been mostly positive in what they've done for Bristol City. I'm sure they have faults, what company doesn't? But I have to say, they rarely enter my mind when it comes to Bristol City. Football is a different beast to what it was 20 years ago. Is that Bristol Sports fault? No. They're just operating in a way to survive in football's current guise. 

24 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I make it 13 out of 35 seasons in this league and below that for the remainder. Happily stand corrected, but it tends to support your view that we are league 1 who come up for air occasionally, accepting that the most recent history makes us more second tier.. 

9 out of 11 seasons (including this) in the Championship rather suggests we have progressed somewhat under SL.

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

why the face? do you not like me using facts to back up an argument?

Youre technically right Monkeh but the majority of those 35 years have been in the third division.Therefore not yo yo, perhaps just shit. Take snapshots from within those years and anyone can come up with stats to prove whatever point they want. SL has been at the helm for how long, 15 years? We have probably been in the 2nd and 3rd tier about the same amount of time during his tenure which possibly supports the yo yo view. I think the OP hasn't helped to be honest and has simply stoked the fire yet again Fans are willing to forgive and forget - unless they are reminded of why they were pissed off in the first place.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But aren't those 4 BS logos the 'manufacturer' logos in this case?  Subtle Branding, Clever Branding, Too Much Branding....you decide.

What would be in those positions if they were made by Adidas or Umbro?  Their logos.

As above, I'm drawn to the City badge and the sponsor.

(luckily I can't see the Oxford tag!)

I'm drawn to the Kate Moss Dalek in the background.  Proper scary.  Doesn't mater where you are in the room, it is always staring at you.

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Oh I wholly agree with that, we should be paying no more then 20 quid a ticket in the championship, thats a fair price,

Infact I think I posted it before,

Prem = No more then 30 quid

Championship = No more then 20

League one = no more then 15 quid

LEague 2 = no more then a tenner

8 quid for conference

Rovers - no more than £50 (  what they pay you to go!)

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A bit like the other day when I read that we were on a 'downward spiral' having just finished higher than the season before for the third consecutive season. 

Hyperbole and ignorance are a dangerous mix. 

That they might be, but essential ingredients for this forum.

Archived