IGNORED

Lansdown- you're killing my club

Marina's Rolls Royce

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Youre technically right Monkeh but the majority of those 35 years have been in the third division.Therefore not yo yo, perhaps just shit. Take snapshots from within those years and anyone can come up with stats to prove whatever point they want. SL has been at the helm for how long, 15 years? We have probably been in the 2nd and 3rd tier about the same amount of time during his tenure which possibly supports the yo yo view. I think the OP hasn't helped to be honest and has simply stoked the fire yet again Fans are willing to forgive and forget - unless they are reminded of why they were pissed off in the first place.

since lansdown has been in charge I think its 9 in the championship and 4 in league one, including some play-off finals 2 football league tropheys and a league title, not as good as we like but not as shit as people make out,

We are bang average and sadly to become a top top team thats going to take time, or another 100 million quid, which ever comes first

Just now, Monkeh said:

since lansdown has been in charge I think its 9 in the championship and 4 in league one, including some play-off finals 2 football league tropheys and a league title, not as good as we like but not as shit as people make out,

We are bang average and sadly to become a top top team thats going to take time, or another 100 million quid, which ever comes first

Fair do's. I think what upsets some people is that other clubs have done far far better on much less resources, so I do wonder if more time and tens of millions is the answer. Third division trophies are a bit meh when you have a clearly generous billionaire in charge, but I live in hope that one day the right people are brought into the club at whatever it costs, enabling SL to take more of a backseat and we then move forward as I believe we should.

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Fair do's. I think what upsets some people is that other clubs have done far far better on much less resources, so I do wonder if more time and tens of millions is the answer. Third division trophies are a bit meh when you have a clearly generous billionaire in charge, but I live in hope that one day the right people are brought into the club at whatever it costs, enabling SL to take more of a backseat and we then move forward as I believe we should.

I don't think its a bit meh considering its our first league title for 60 years,

Also remember while Lansdown is generous with his money, he's been in charge of city longer then he's been a billionaire, I think when we got to the play-off final he was on;y worth about 200 or 300 million, so wouldnt of been as loose with the purse strings as he has been 

On the whole, very good post, though I'd take issue with fans being compared - even on the slightest degree - to customers, and even though we don't own the club - no doubt we'd all love to if we had the money to stump up.  A football fan is far more than a customer, as we all know, and is often a very passionate and committed 'warrior' for the cause of the club.

Part of truly supporting a club is feeling like you belong to the club and are indeed part of everything.  You are born and raised as a City fan, and it becomes integral to you as a person, so the passion is understandable, and should be fanned, not suppressed.  However, the critical abuse aimed at Stephen Lansdown last season was truly terrible. 

It would be interesting to see how well this thread would be received in the face of an ugly patch this season.  How many rational minded city fans would quickly turn against SL.  We've all read it on here several times over the past decade.  We all know the usual (small) noisy group will still be tearing strips off of the great man if things look bleak again this season.  It never seems to change, but would be great if SL didn't suffer personal attacks when things inevitably go wrong in such a demanding, competitive league.

43 minutes ago, Redbo said:

I think they have been mostly positive in what they've done for Bristol City. I'm sure they have faults, what company doesn't? But I have to say, they rarely enter my mind when it comes to Bristol City. Football is a different beast to what it was 20 years ago. Is that Bristol Sports fault? No. They're just operating in a way to survive in football's current guise. 

Fair comment. I think some of it is necessary. But the influence certain members of staff have over things is a bit worrying. Good people losing their jobs for seemingly no reason.

I don't like how corporate some of our communications are either.. and if I was to be really picky I think the South Stand is a dreadful replacement for the fantastic East End.

Overall, some good and some bad but the club is probably equipped to compete as a result.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Fair comment. I think some of it is necessary. But the influence certain members of staff have over things is a bit worrying. Good people losing their jobs for seemingly no reason.

I don't like how corporate some of our communications are either.. and if I was to be really picky I think the South Stand is a dreadful replacement for the fantastic East End.

Overall, some good and some bad but the club is probably equipped to compete as a result.

I think your last paragraph sums it up nicely. With all Bristol Sport bring we'll be able to compete (hopefully) at the top of this league and beyond. Is that to the detriment of people's enjoyment of football? I suppose it comes down to what you want from supporting the club. For me, I'd rather have stability and sustainability, then, in theory, comes success. 

5 minutes ago, Redbo said:

I think your last paragraph sums it up nicely. With all Bristol Sport bring we'll be able to compete (hopefully) at the top of this league and beyond. Is that to the detriment of people's enjoyment of football? I suppose it comes down to what you want from supporting the club. For me, I'd rather have stability and sustainability, then, in theory, comes success. 

yep and once we get a decent manager that will come, ;) 

6 minutes ago, Redbo said:

Yeah I hope so. We do feel like a more modern football club now. Hopefully we can get the right equilibrium with the atmosphere this season - that's definitely been worse since the rebuild. The group in the Atyeo have tried, but I just feel noise doesn't carry well and people didn't join in. Hoping now that their relocation will be the catalyst for the rest of the ground.

Was symbolic for me I guess, the EE which I felt was a fantastic stand (old and a terrible view aside) ripped down and replaced by a soulless identikit replacement in the South Stand. Saying that, the acoustics are good and I really hope the atmosphere improves this season.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah I hope so. We do feel like a more modern football club now. Hopefully we can get the right equilibrium with the atmosphere this season - that's definitely been worse since the rebuild. The group in the Atyeo have tried, but I just feel noise doesn't carry well and people didn't join in. Hoping now that their relocation will be the catalyst for the rest of the ground.

Was symbolic for me I guess, the EE which I felt was a fantastic stand (old and a terrible view aside) ripped down and replaced by a soulless identikit replacement in the South Stand. Saying that, the acoustics are good and I really hope the atmosphere improves this season.

I think its been worse because they were in the atyeo and not the South Stand as originally planned,

I remember when the EE shut and we went to the atyeo (1994?) we've always struggled to make noise in that stand, In the south stand with the nutters ultras and section 82 making the noise, you will notice a massive difference, the sounds carry well and some of us old farts will prob join in a bit as well

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think its been worse because they were in the atyeo and not the South Stand as originally planned,

I remember when the EE shut and we went to the atyeo (1994?) we've always struggled to make noise in that stand, In the south stand with the nutters ultras and section 82 making the noise, you will notice a massive difference, the sounds carry well and some of us old farts will prob join in a bit as well

I agree. The Atyeo has always seemed to have awful acoustics and sound just doesn't carry well.

The SS's acoustics seem really good and people will probably feel a bit less self conscious about joining in if there's noise carrying all around the ground. Excited to see and hear it in action.

Believe Steve is an absolute hero. Maggie and Jon likewise. Would not wish to have any others leading our Club.

The vision/strategy is great, the resourcing fantastic, their support (as locals too) brilliant - the only issue of concern is implementation. Suppose if successful implementation was just an automatic outcome of having the rest, life would be very simple and dull.

So, the roller coaster journey continues.

Maybe, just maybe, lessons on The Academy, Scouting, Player Development and Management have been learnt and this season will be a rip-roaring success. I see some green shoots rising of the horizon, let's hope this season they are nurtured and not trampled over. 

COYRs

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'm not suggesting anything radical though. I'm suggesting cheaper prices, not for me, but for everyone. 

What magic figure do you have in mind? I think my ticket is fairly reasonably priced as it goes. Everything could be cheaper but by and large I think most stuff is reasonably priced at AG, like the pies, beer etc. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I don't think its a bit meh considering its our first league title for 60 years,

Also remember while Lansdown is generous with his money, he's been in charge of city longer then he's been a billionaire, I think when we got to the play-off final he was on;y worth about 200 or 300 million, so wouldnt of been as loose with the purse strings as he has been 

' only worth ' 

:rofl2br:

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

....... and Lee didn't lose the dressing room.

A post designed to win likes if ever there was one, but just out of interest what evidence do you have for the above, one way or the other?

30 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What magic figure do you have in mind? I think my ticket is fairly reasonably priced as it goes. Everything could be cheaper but by and large I think most stuff is reasonably priced at AG, like the pies, beer etc. 

English football is the richest in the world, yet we have the most expensive tickets. It does not take a genius to see cheaper STs at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc to see we're being fleeced. That is clearly not reasonable.

But, I hear you say, these club receive millions in sponsorship so can afford to subsidise fans. But it is true for the lower divisions too. 

A club is defined as: 'An association of two or more people united by a common interest or goal.' It seems clubs in other countries have not forgotten that in order to support the club, you have to support each other, not just those on the pitch. However in England our loyalty is to the team and not our fellow fans at all. I can afford a ST, many here can, but many can't. It is important for us to support the club (ie, everyone) by pushing for everyone who wants to attend to be able to attend. Huddersfield showed that £179 tickets all over the ground can work. I'm not even suggesting that. I'm suggesting maybe £150-£175 in the SS as affordable seats for everyone. 

I'm not suggesting something radical, I'm suggesting something that is proven to work in this country and most clubs abroad. Surely we can all agree on this issue.

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

A post designed to win likes if ever there was one, but just out of interest what evidence do you have for the above, one way or the other?

The fact that he's still here, the fact that no one has put in a transfer request, the fact that no one refused to play, the fact that nearly all the current squad are still here, the fact that Baker signed having worked with LJ before and knows the players ,the fact that when you and the  anti Johnson bandleaders said he lost the DR that LJ went on to change his line up go on an impressive points return and not get relegated. Call me an "Uber Fan" but I'd say that's pretty good evidence .

In respect of "winning likes" or "smug chest beating" then I'd say this to you, your one supporter in your post and the rest of your band  : 

I'm not so smug or arrogant to think that the number of likes ( which is actually quite humbling given the circumstances on OTIB of late) is about me or my OP. It's about the fact that despite all the negativity directed towards our owner/ manager and club- there is a massive amount of people on OTIB who may not post but back SL and appreciate what he is trying to achieve even when it doesn't go his way. The " likes" are a vote of confidence that SL is heading in the right direction with the club.End of.

It is also a case that those of you who feel the club is in some sort of downward spiral with the club falling apart are the delusional ones. The 20,000 fans who turn up to cheer the team on when we're on our arse say more than I ever can or will.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The fact that he's still here, the fact that no one has put in a transfer request, the fact that no one refused to play, the fact that nearly all the current squad are still here, the fact that Baker signed having worked with LJ before and knows the players ,the fact that when you and the  anti Johnson bandleaders said he lost the DR that LJ went on to change his line up go on an impressive points return and not get relegated. Call me an "Uber Fan" but I'd say that's pretty good evidence .

In respect of "winning likes" or "smug chest beating" then I'd say this to you, your one supporter in your post and the rest of your band  : 

I'm not so smug or arrogant to think that the number of likes ( which is actually quite humbling given the circumstances on OTIB of late) is about me or my OP. It's about the fact that despite all the negativity directed towards our owner/ manager and club- there is a massive amount of people on OTIB who may not post but back SL and appreciate what he is trying to achieve even when it doesn't go his way. The " likes" are a vote of confidence that SL is heading in the right direction with the club.End of.

It is also a case that those of you who feel the club is in some sort of downward spiral with the club falling apart are the delusional ones. The 20,000 fans who turn up to cheer the team on when we're on our arse say more than I ever can or will.

MRR, some people just like to gossip and just don't like evidence.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I was looking for confirmation from the "dressing room".

So no actual evidence then.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Remember being in there in block E trying to get some atmosphere going, but the sound just didn't carry, didn't even sound loud when H block used to make some noise as well only really sounded loud in te4h Atyeo when the whole stand sang and even then it wasn't that loud in the rest of the ground,  hopefully now in the south stand there can be some atmosphere.

15 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Was the most ludicrous and misguided statement made last season by a tearful chap on Twentyman's phone in almost as sad a way as the 2 divorces/Thatcher's Government bloke who at least had a point when his club was relegated from the football league.

Much of what was said last season was fake news, conspiratorial or just plain venom, deeply personal and wrong. Lansdown didn't kill our club, we didn't get relegated, the fans didn't stay away and Lee didn't lose the dressing room.

Every paying City fan is entitled to an opinion but where that opinion gets confused is in the ownership and possession of their club . Of course us fans get deeply sometimes obsessively emotionally attached to our club and the boundary between being a fan and having rights over what goes on gets blurred. We have a right to attend matches and expect to see committed players but much beyond that- we don't because we don't own our club- No we don't. We are the lifeblood of its existence but not the owners. Same as customers of any business.

Yesterday an OP accused the club of cheating the fans by entering into "undisclosed fees"- he felt as it was his money he had a right to know. The day that the fan receipts ( match day and merchandise) pay for the running of our football club then I suggest then and only then do we have a right to demand sackings/transfers and a change of ownership but until that happens we have an owner who funds the huge losses this club makes and it ain't because of ego, a rich man's plaything or a secret tax loss. It's because he loves BCFC and he loves sport and he loves Bristol.

So for him to be cast as the AntiChrist with LJ as his Satanic side kick is just plain ignorance. Killing our club? I think you could certainly accept the blue few thinking that about Higgs as they dropped out of the League and now without the stadium they so desperately needed. Bolton fans, Portsmouth fans, Morecambe , Hereford, Coventry, Orient, Blackburn  could all  all justifiably say that an owner was at some point killing their club but Lansdown? That's just plain silly and as laughable as it is ignorant.

So as we stand on the eve of another Championship campaign , let's just remember who owns the club and who makes the decisions and exactly who's money it is that buys us new players and gives us a superb stadium, training facilities and more than anything- optimism for the future. A BCFC for the future.

Players come and players go - that's football and Steve said as much. Wilbs going means more salary for a younger player with a career ahead not behind him, Flint going will be good business for the club but disappointing to many fans who have elevated him to iconic status. Conspiracy theories are exactly that- conspiracy theories. Those ITK are invariably guilty of "a little knowledge is dangerous". Yes people can of course get snippets but it seems usually that it's snippets given by someone with an agenda inside the club- the unhappy father of a player who thinks they should be paid more, the relative of an international who thinks he should play more, someone who lost their job, overlooked for promotion etc. But one things for certain the real truth is known only by 3 possibly 4 individuals who own and run the club and they don't talk. At least not to us.

The problem I have with some on OTIB and footie fans in general are those that are waiting for the club/manager to fail to prove they were right all along. Some posters only post negative comments and disappear if the club does well or switch their discontent to tickets, the price of bovril, or anything that perpetuates their negative outlook on life. 

Lee Johnson will eventually move on but not because the fans think he should but because him or Steve does. Players will come here because they get sold on a dream and a stack of cash and , if any good, will move to another club for exactly the same reason. And who can blame them in a career that's maybe 15 years long?

What pleases me most is that there's a great disconnect between the doom and gloom merchants and conspiratorial theorists on here and the passion displayed at BS3 even when we're on a bad run.

Another new season for us all and we aren't going to win every game and LJ will continue to learn by making mistakes same as any young Manager. The best news is that no one's killing our club- in fact they're breathing life into it.

Quite possibly one of the most misguided, shite posts ever to grace OTIB. The scary thing is that you actually have very good access to a good source in SC but you are too chicken shit to ask him the questions that matter. 

I will say this about the Lansdowns, they will safeguard our existence but my goodness we are going nowhere fast under their rule.

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite possibly one of the most misguided, shite posts ever to grace OTIB. The scary thing is that you actually have very good access to a good source in SC but you are too chicken shit to ask him the questions that matter. 

I will say this about the Lansdowns, they will safeguard our existence but my goodness we are going nowhere fast under their rule.

So we should do a Portsmouth then?

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:13, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Why doesn't everyone pay less? I did the maths on another thread a few months ago and I think the club would be 180,000 worse off if the SS payed last seasons Atyeo prices. That assumes that no one buys more food with their extra cash in hand and no extra fans take up cheaper tickets. 

Our cheapest tickets are double Huddersfield's (who got promoted) last season and they could sit anywhere in the ground. We're being fleeced. 

Play a game of count the logos. I make it 4-2 to Bristol Sport over Bristol City

3eaf68c5408992232953f4bf0204b8d1.jpg

This is a particularly fun game. However no one can still answer the question, why is it necessary? 

Manufacturer's logo on Football Kit!

read more about this shocking story inside today's super soar-away OTIB

(Count the Nike ticks on a Man City kit, or the Adidas branding on Man U. How many Pumas on the Arsenal kit?)

The tickets are too expensive and the Bristol Sport branding is a distraction. I think that we should be concentrating on the issue that really matters - the cost of matchdays - and not getting side-tracked by smaller irritations that will become insignificant once the main issue is dealt with.

On 04/08/2017 at 08:48, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Was the most ludicrous and misguided statement made last season by a tearful chap on Twentyman's phone in almost as sad a way as the 2 divorces/Thatcher's Government bloke who at least had a point when his club was relegated from the football league.

Much of what was said last season was fake news, conspiratorial or just plain venom, deeply personal and wrong. Lansdown didn't kill our club, we didn't get relegated, the fans didn't stay away and Lee didn't lose the dressing room.

Every paying City fan is entitled to an opinion but where that opinion gets confused is in the ownership and possession of their club . Of course us fans get deeply sometimes obsessively emotionally attached to our club and the boundary between being a fan and having rights over what goes on gets blurred. We have a right to attend matches and expect to see committed players but much beyond that- we don't because we don't own our club- No we don't. We are the lifeblood of its existence but not the owners. Same as customers of any business.

Yesterday an OP accused the club of cheating the fans by entering into "undisclosed fees"- he felt as it was his money he had a right to know. The day that the fan receipts ( match day and merchandise) pay for the running of our football club then I suggest then and only then do we have a right to demand sackings/transfers and a change of ownership but until that happens we have an owner who funds the huge losses this club makes and it ain't because of ego, a rich man's plaything or a secret tax loss. It's because he loves BCFC and he loves sport and he loves Bristol.

So for him to be cast as the AntiChrist with LJ as his Satanic side kick is just plain ignorance. Killing our club? I think you could certainly accept the blue few thinking that about Higgs as they dropped out of the League and now without the stadium they so desperately needed. Bolton fans, Portsmouth fans, Morecambe , Hereford, Coventry, Orient, Blackburn  could all  all justifiably say that an owner was at some point killing their club but Lansdown? That's just plain silly and as laughable as it is ignorant.

So as we stand on the eve of another Championship campaign , let's just remember who owns the club and who makes the decisions and exactly who's money it is that buys us new players and gives us a superb stadium, training facilities and more than anything- optimism for the future. A BCFC for the future.

Players come and players go - that's football and Steve said as much. Wilbs going means more salary for a younger player with a career ahead not behind him, Flint going will be good business for the club but disappointing to many fans who have elevated him to iconic status. Conspiracy theories are exactly that- conspiracy theories. Those ITK are invariably guilty of "a little knowledge is dangerous". Yes people can of course get snippets but it seems usually that it's snippets given by someone with an agenda inside the club- the unhappy father of a player who thinks they should be paid more, the relative of an international who thinks he should play more, someone who lost their job, overlooked for promotion etc. But one things for certain the real truth is known only by 3 possibly 4 individuals who own and run the club and they don't talk. At least not to us.

The problem I have with some on OTIB and footie fans in general are those that are waiting for the club/manager to fail to prove they were right all along. Some posters only post negative comments and disappear if the club does well or switch their discontent to tickets, the price of bovril, or anything that perpetuates their negative outlook on life. 

Lee Johnson will eventually move on but not because the fans think he should but because him or Steve does. Players will come here because they get sold on a dream and a stack of cash and , if any good, will move to another club for exactly the same reason. And who can blame them in a career that's maybe 15 years long?

What pleases me most is that there's a great disconnect between the doom and gloom merchants and conspiratorial theorists on here and the passion displayed at BS3 even when we're on a bad run.

Another new season for us all and we aren't going to win every game and LJ will continue to learn by making mistakes same as any young Manager. The best news is that no one's killing our club- in fact they're breathing life into it.

In Steve Lansdown's time running this club, the Bristol City when he first set eyes on it (Feb 90ish?) or when he joined the board, has gone. And much of this is down to SL and his wallet. 

Steve Lansdown has changed this club. Almost beyond recognition.

AG being one very obvious example.

To many (some quite old now) fans, the Bristol City of their youth, with it's terraces and turnstiles and standing and swearing/smoking/swaying/surging/singing and all that pre-Hillsborough football culture has gone.

It was going before SL got involved, but Steve has finally and comprehensively - with the (much needed) modernisation of the ground being the most obvious example - kicked the old BCFC into history, where it only remains now in the memory - and the video collections - of those that were there, when we were all much younger.

Steve Lansdown did kill off the last of that Bristol City. To many older fans "their" Bristol City has been "killed off."

But he had to. He had no choice.

It was going on everywhere else before Steve had control of this club, and in this time, clubs previously "inferior" to us - Reading, Wigan, Bournemouth - or no "greater" than us - Swansea, Hull, Cardiff even - and many more have sailed past us in the pecking order, enjoying top class football and leaving us miles behind.

Steve had no choice but to join in with what was going on everywhere else, and try and catch up.

Meanwhile, lots of old boys - I think probably a bit sad/depressed (and maybe a bit lonely, too) about getting older themselves without recognising this; and struggling with change, and loss, generally, in life, including with their beloved football club - find a thing called the "internet" on which they can communicate daily with other City fans.

They get a little addicted. It's nice to click on every day and "meet up" with other City fans. Fellow City fans. But they moan on here, a bit too much, then get feedback, and fall into a pattern of moaning, and responding to the feeedback with more of the same. They get one or two "likes" from like-minded old 'uns and other slightly disillusioned (with life, with Bristol City) types, enough to make them feel they are not alone.

Previous to all this - the internet - the old boys only got to moan about the City for a few hours a week, at a game if they could still afford to go and had their health; at the pub once or twice a week; maybe bumping into someone they know; or, if they were socially still connected, at something like bowls (mentioning no names). Other than this, it would've been their dear/poor old "Doris"/missus that copped the bulk of his melancholy/misery (until the next game/trip to the pub). The majority of us were oblivious to the general misery of other City fans when not at games (unless you read the letters page of the Evening Post).

Part of the problem here is the 24/7 availability of the internet and the online community of fellow fans, and the addictive nature of this social forum. It's very hard sometimes not to argue your pount, until you drop. We go round in circles. There is something akin on here to the ruminative element of circular negative thoughts in depression; easy to get sucked into, hard to get out of. And ultimately self-defeating, not very helpful. For some people, of a particular mental mindset.

For those cheery, generally optimistic types (count your blessings, folks) reading the constant churn of negativity must be perplexing and/or infuriating. You do have a choice, though; and an "ignore" option, I understand.

I do think that part but not all of the issue here - for some of those always droning on - is a mental health one, and that some compassion (and if necessary, some judicious ignoring ) is called for. But this being a place predominated by men following a moderately successful football club (with a penchant for cock-ups and own-goals and over-promising coupled with under-delivering, imho) I know this will be in limited supply. Automatic promotion this season is more likely, alas.

Football and your own football club is an emotional thing, and blokes, by and large, are pretty clueless when it comes to emotion (unless it's anger and referees/managers).

Another issue, or problem, is - I agree with the OP here - about being right and again, this is particular to this 21st century medium, where your previous opinions/misjudgements/idiocy/delusion/plain wrongness etc can be dragged up at will and used to to beat the poor fellow at every turn.

Are those so sick of the anti-SL/anti-LJ/general miserabilism prepared to break the chain/circle that they are a part of, and allow any repentant Johnson hate/doubters - should he confound their doubts this season - back into the fold of "this is going well this season!" cheeriness? Without jumping on them to remind them of their previous position? That might lessen some of the repetitive negativity on here. Might.

I just think to some supporters, Steve Lansdown has killed "their" club - the club that they knew - and they are a bit sad/cross/generally at a loss about this, and not very good at dealing with this, or recognising when it is getting on other people's tits, and during particularly poor seasons - and record breaking runs of defeats - their miserabilism gets out of hand, aided by this infernal, addictive internet, and that hammering away at them for their misery and negativity - tiring and annoying as it is - doesn't help.

Anyhow, fingers crossed for a win this afternoon and a better season than last. COYRs!

(I may or may not be one of those a bit sad/lonely/depressed misery guts myself..........)

51 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

In Steve Lansdown's time running this club, the Bristol City when he first set eyes on it (Feb 90ish?) or when he joined the board, has gone. And much of this is down to SL and his wallet. 

Steve Lansdown has changed this club. Almost beyond recognition.

AG being one very obvious example.

To many (some quite old now) fans, the Bristol City of their youth, with it's terraces and turnstiles and standing and swearing/smoking/swaying/surging/singing and all that pre-Hillsborough football culture has gone.

It was going before SL got involved, but Steve has finally and comprehensively - with the (much needed) modernisation of the ground being the most obvious example - kicked the old BCFC into history, where it only remains now in the memory - and the video collections - of those that were there, when we were all much younger.

Steve Lansdown did kill off the last of that Bristol City. To many older fans "their" Bristol City has been "killed off."

But he had to. He had no choice.

It was going on everywhere else before Steve had control of this club, and in this time, clubs previously "inferior" to us - Reading, Wigan, Bournemouth - or no "greater" than us - Swansea, Hull, Cardiff even - and many more have sailed past us in the pecking order, enjoying top class football and leaving us miles behind.

Steve had no choice but to join in with what was going on everywhere else, and try and catch up.

Meanwhile, lots of old boys - I think probably a bit sad/depressed (and maybe a bit lonely, too) about getting older themselves without recognising this; and struggling with change, and loss, generally, in life, including with their beloved football club - find a thing called the "internet" on which they can communicate daily with other City fans.

They get a little addicted. It's nice to click on every day and "meet up" with other City fans. Fellow City fans. But they moan on here, a bit too much, then get feedback, and fall into a pattern of moaning, and responding to the feeedback with more of the same. They get one or two "likes" from like-minded old 'uns and other slightly disillusioned (with life, with Bristol City) types, enough to make them feel they are not alone.

Previous to all this - the internet - the old boys only got to moan about the City for a few hours a week, at a game if they could still afford to go and had their health; at the pub once or twice a week; maybe bumping into someone they know; or, if they were socially still connected, at something like bowls (mentioning no names). Other than this, it would've been their dear/poor old "Doris"/missus that copped the bulk of his melancholy/misery (until the next game/trip to the pub). The majority of us were oblivious to the general misery of other City fans when not at games (unless you read the letters page of the Evening Post).

Part of the problem here is the 24/7 availability of the internet and the online community of fellow fans, and the addictive nature of this social forum. It's very hard sometimes not to argue your pount, until you drop. We go round in circles. There is something akin on here to the ruminative element of circular negative thoughts in depression; easy to get sucked into, hard to get out of. And ultimately self-defeating, not very helpful. For some people, of a particular mental mindset.

For those cheery, generally optimistic types (count your blessings, folks) reading the constant churn of negativity must be perplexing and/or infuriating. You do have a choice, though; and an "ignore" option, I understand.

I do think that part but not all of the issue here - for some of those always droning on - is a mental health one, and that some compassion (and if necessary, some judicious ignoring ) is called for. But this being a place predominated by men following a moderately successful football club (with a penchant for cock-ups and own-goals and over-promising coupled with under-delivering, imho) I know this will be in limited supply. Automatic promotion this season is more likely, alas.

Football and your own football club is an emotional thing, and blokes, by and large, are pretty clueless when it comes to emotion (unless it's anger and referees/managers).

Another issue, or problem, is - I agree with the OP here - about being right and again, this is particular to this 21st century medium, where your previous opinions/misjudgements/idiocy/delusion/plain wrongness etc can be dragged up at will and used to to beat the poor fellow at every turn.

Are those so sick of the anti-SL/anti-LJ/general miserabilism prepared to break the chain/circle that they are a part of, and allow any repentant Johnson hate/doubters - should he confound their doubts this season - back into the fold of "this is going well this season!" cheeriness? Without jumping on them to remind them of their previous position? That might lessen some of the repetitive negativity on here. Might.

I just think to some supporters, Steve Lansdown has killed "their" club - the club that they knew - and they are a bit sad/cross/generally at a loss about this, and not very good at dealing with this, or recognising when it is getting on other people's tits, and during particularly poor seasons - and record breaking runs of defeats - their miserabilism gets out of hand, aided by this infernal, addictive internet, and that hammering away at them for their misery and negativity - tiring and annoying as it is - doesn't help.

Anyhow, fingers crossed for a win this afternoon and a better season than last. COYRs!

(I may or may not be one of those a bit sad/lonely/depressed misery guts myself..........)

I remember the old Ashton Gate of the mid/late 60s and the euphoria of promotion to the first division in the 70s., and you are right that all of that has gone.

Luckily I don't have any issues with mental health, as I was telling my friend the white rabbit this morning. My mate Napoleon is in the next room to me and he agrees with me that, in general, football has moved on and club's not prepared to change, develop and evolve will lose touch with those clubs that are forward thinking and planning for the way football now is, and also what it will be in the future.

I think you might need your tin helmet Jack, but you have nothing to feed from me.

Must go now  as I am making up a bridge 4 and that Ghengis Khan is up against me and he can be a bit sharp,  so I will need  have my wits about me this afternoon.

COYR and we need a few goals from that youngster Garland - I've high hopes for his future if he's looked after properly,

Archived