IGNORED

Backwards step for enticing young fans

I was really disappointed a week or so ago to learn that City have stopped giving out "first caps" to young fans attending their first game.

Took my son to the Brum game for his first and it was an amazing experience. He loved getting on the pitch, the look on his face when he got the cap was priceless and he hasn't taken it off all summer. Despite living in Maidenhead, he doesn't shut up about City, to the point that his nursery printed out a picture of Scrumpy the Robin to go on his leaving card.. He puts on his cap and shirt and runs around singing "Oh Tammy Tammy" at every opportunity.

It was also great to tell my mates here about it, and everyone agreed what a class touch it was from City.

It was a big disappointment then to book my daughter's first ticket for Saturday only to be told she wouldn't get the same treatment. Now, they enter every "new" supporter into a draw and give one lucky fan a signed pendant. She's gutted not to be getting the same as her brother and it's taken a bit of the shine off the game. We'll go and buy her the cap, and she'll still get her shirt but it's not the same and I see it as a backward step for the club. Not to mention moving the family area to the upper West where the kids won't have such a good view due to the distance and separation from the atmosphere.

A real shame that this will be the last time youngsters get an experience like this...

@AdamB what are the club's reasons behind not doing this anymore?

IMG_5064.JPG

Just now, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I was really disappointed a week or so ago to learn that City have stopped giving out "first caps" to young fans attending their first game.

Took my son to the Brum game for his first and it was an amazing experience. He loved getting on the pitch, the look on his face when he got the cap was priceless and he hasn't taken it off all summer. Despite living in Maidenhead, he doesn't shut up about City, to the point that his nursery printed out a picture of Scrumpy the Robin to go on his leaving card.. He puts on his cap and shirt and runs around singing "Oh Tammy Tammy" at every opportunity.

It was also great to tell my mates here about it, and everyone agreed what a class touch it was from City.

It was a big disappointment then to book my daughter's first ticket for Saturday only to be told she wouldn't get the same treatment. Now, they enter every "new" supporter into a draw and give one lucky fan a signed pendant. She's gutted not to be getting the same as her brother and it's taken a bit of the shine off the game. We'll go and buy her the cap, and she'll still get her shirt but it's not the same and I see it as a backward step for the club. Not to mention moving the family area to the upper West where the kids won't have such a good view due to the distance and separation from the atmosphere.

A real shame that this will be the last time youngsters get an experience like this...

@AdamB what are the club's reasons behind not doing this anymore?

IMG_5064.JPG

thats a shame it was great for the young fans, unless it's being replaced by something else, @adamb any reasons behind it? is it being replaced? 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

thats a shame it was great for the young fans, unless it's being replaced by something else, @adamb any reasons behind it? is it being replaced? 

As I said above, they're giving a pendant to one "lucky fan" who has no previous booking history. Luck of the draw from now on.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

It is a shame but to throw a random reason out there could it be to do with the family section now being up in the gods and it taking ages to get to/from it for the kids and their families? By the time they`d got back up there they`d have missed half the first half.

Missed the last five minutes of the first half and start of the second anyway at the Brum game.

Probably give more of a shit and aim more focus at the corporate stuff because of money. 

My guess is that they don't care near half as much as they should about the heartbeat of any club; the fans.

Maybe an example of where the club might be going with things?

Shambles that they've decided to not bother with the first cap any more.

My point would be null and void if they have a better idea to replace it.

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Try explaining it to a 6 year old who missed on coming to the last game as she already had something on, and has spent the summer waiting to get the same cap as her 4 year old brother.

nothing some sweets wouldn't fix at that age, but its shitty by the club, and they really should be doing better

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Maybe they had too many people wanting to do it hence why they said about doing a draw??

It's a chicken and egg issue.

These youngsters are the fans of tomorrow, and I presume that club wants to have another generation of fans coming though. If so, making their first match day a memorable one goes a long way to achieving that and so what if it costs a few bob - if we can afford a £5m transfer fee then I'd hope the coffers would stretch to a few caps.

A potential lifetime's support is surely worth a cap, isn't it?

That's great! I've literally emailed @AdamB this morning to enquire about my son Elliott receiving one tomorrow as the club didn't contact me before the Birmingham game ( his actual 1st game ), after I contacted @AdamB originally before hand. I'm not going to use this as a stick to beat the club with though, I think they do a lot of good generally & Gareth Torpy was particularly helpful when looking at getting Elliott a season ticket. Just happens to be bloody annoying! Roll on tomorrow. COYR 

I think thefirst cap thing was great, but it's really not that big a deal, surely?!

Don't make a big deal of the cap thing and focus on enjoying the day and her first experience of live football. The build up, the crowd, the atmosphere, the moment she first walks up the vomity and sees the stadium come into view. Magical moments and the cap should only be a downer on the day, if you make it one. 

Hope she enjoys the day and is a regular for many years to come. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think thefirst cap thing was great, but it's really not that big a deal, surely?!

Don't make a big deal of the cap thing and focus on enjoying the day and her first experience of live football. The build up, the crowd, the atmosphere, the moment she first walks up the vomity and sees the stadium come into view. Magical moments and the cap should only be a downer on the day, if you make it one. 

Hope she enjoys the day and is a regular for many years to come. 

Fair point, and we won't make a downer of it on the day - she's just as excited about getting a pencil case from the shop! But it was a great thing for young fans and it is now no more. I think it's a shame and is worth debating in this arena as I'd love to know the reason behind it.

All,

This was a huge success but became a victim of its own success - literally getting more and more emails each game (of course not everyone was actually attending their first game, which is what the original idea from @DaveL was meant for). Regardless, it was still a memorable moment for the youngsters concerned.

To try and bring a bit of a control on numbers, it was discussed to alter it to signed pennants for one chosen youngster who we knew was attending their first game - a surprise and delight - starting from the Millwall game, as we still had two existing 'cappings' waiting over for the Barnsley fixture tomorrow.

However, having discussed this further, I agree that the "first cap" idea sits better with football than a pennant.

To that end, we're now investigating returning to the cap scheme, capped (excuse the pun) at three per game for 2017/18.

--

Dastardly and Muttley, can you email vicky.barlow@bristol-sport.co.uk and we'll aim to get that sorted for you tomorrow with the other two cappings.

Simon, I'll forward your email on to Vicky and also aim to add you on for tomorrow.

Regards,
Adam

42 minutes ago, AdamB said:

All,

This was a huge success but became a victim of its own success - literally getting more and more emails each game (of course not everyone was actually attending their first game, which is what the original idea from @DaveL was meant for). Regardless, it was still a memorable moment for the youngsters concerned.

To try and bring a bit of a control on numbers, it was discussed to alter it to signed pennants for one chosen youngster who we knew was attending their first game - a surprise and delight - starting from the Millwall game, as we still had two existing 'cappings' waiting over for the Barnsley fixture tomorrow.

However, having discussed this further, I agree that the "first cap" idea sits better with football than a pennant.

To that end, we're now investigating returning to the cap scheme, capped (excuse the pun) at three per game for 2017/18.

--

Dastardly and Muttley, can you email vicky.barlow@bristol-sport.co.uk and we'll aim to get that sorted for you tomorrow with the other two cappings.

Simon, I'll forward your email on to Vicky and also aim to add you on for tomorrow.

Regards,
Adam

Thanks adam, very sensible approach 

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Fair point, and we won't make a downer of it on the day - she's just as excited about getting a pencil case from the shop! But it was a great thing for young fans and it is now no more. I think it's a shame and is worth debating in this arena as I'd love to know the reason behind it.

I agree that it was a good initiative, shame it's stopped. 

I never did it for my boys first game, but my friends daughter loved it. (Well, he loved it. I don't think she knew much about what was going on!) 

Have a good day! 

57 minutes ago, AdamB said:

All,

--

Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam, 

can I suggest that it shouldn't actually need to be the child's "first" game. I think anyone taking a child under a certain age should be able to put their name down and go on a waiting list. It's a special thing for a youngster to look back on, so it would be shame for any to miss out on. 

I was about to post exactly the same.

its my daughters first game tomorrow and I wanted her to do the first cap thing. Have just emailed the club and got the following response.

Thanks for your email.

In terms of the cappings for games, I am afraid this season this no longer exists. We are now going to be picking at complete random from a system generator a child that has no history with us and attending a first game a signed team pennant and will be limited to one child per game.

I just hope the random name is Lara Charter, otherwise there could be extreme violence shown by a 4 year old.

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

vicky.barlow@bristol-sport.co.uk

1 hour ago, AdamB said:

All,

--

Regards,
Adam

I have just emailed Vicky, to see if anything can be done for her tomorrow.

it is her first ever game and has been looking forward to it for months. Plus living in Swindon need to get City in her head before the local mob get a chance.

Archived