IGNORED

Backwards step for enticing young fans

1 hour ago, AdamB said:

All,

This was a huge success but became a victim of its own success - literally getting more and more emails each game (of course not everyone was actually attending their first game, which is what the original idea from @DaveL was meant for). Regardless, it was still a memorable moment for the youngsters concerned.

To try and bring a bit of a control on numbers, it was discussed to alter it to signed pennants for one chosen youngster who we knew was attending their first game - a surprise and delight - starting from the Millwall game, as we still had two existing 'cappings' waiting over for the Barnsley fixture tomorrow.

However, having discussed this further, I agree that the "first cap" idea sits better with football than a pennant.

To that end, we're now investigating returning to the cap scheme, capped (excuse the pun) at three per game for 2017/18.

--

Dastardly and Muttley, can you email vicky.barlow@bristol-sport.co.uk and we'll aim to get that sorted for you tomorrow with the other two cappings.

Simon, I'll forward your email on to Vicky and also aim to add you on for tomorrow.

Regards,
Adam

Thank you for this Adam, I apologise if I've opened the floodgates here! Hopefully I've contacted Vicky in enough time; huge credit to you and the club for your response. 

3 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I was really disappointed a week or so ago to learn that City have stopped giving out "first caps" to young fans attending their first game.

Took my son to the Brum game for his first and it was an amazing experience. He loved getting on the pitch, the look on his face when he got the cap was priceless and he hasn't taken it off all summer. Despite living in Maidenhead, he doesn't shut up about City, to the point that his nursery printed out a picture of Scrumpy the Robin to go on his leaving card.. He puts on his cap and shirt and runs around singing "Oh Tammy Tammy" at every opportunity.

It was also great to tell my mates here about it, and everyone agreed what a class touch it was from City.

It was a big disappointment then to book my daughter's first ticket for Saturday only to be told she wouldn't get the same treatment. Now, they enter every "new" supporter into a draw and give one lucky fan a signed pendant. She's gutted not to be getting the same as her brother and it's taken a bit of the shine off the game. We'll go and buy her the cap, and she'll still get her shirt but it's not the same and I see it as a backward step for the club. Not to mention moving the family area to the upper West where the kids won't have such a good view due to the distance and separation from the atmosphere.

A real shame that this will be the last time youngsters get an experience like this...

@AdamB what are the club's reasons behind not doing this anymore?

Without sounding too savage, think you're getting upset over nothing. The club are giving all kids free replica kits, which is an amazing gesture IMO. If they do this but it means kids don't get hats anymore then so be it.

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

Without sounding too savage, think you're getting upset over nothing. The club are giving all kids free replica kits, which is an amazing gesture IMO. If they do this but it means kids don't get hats anymore then so be it.

It's all sorted now I think!

5 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I was really disappointed a week or so ago to learn that City have stopped giving out "first caps" to young fans attending their first game.

Took my son to the Brum game for his first and it was an amazing experience. He loved getting on the pitch, the look on his face when he got the cap was priceless and he hasn't taken it off all summer. Despite living in Maidenhead, he doesn't shut up about City, to the point that his nursery printed out a picture of Scrumpy the Robin to go on his leaving card.. He puts on his cap and shirt and runs around singing "Oh Tammy Tammy" at every opportunity.

It was also great to tell my mates here about it, and everyone agreed what a class touch it was from City.

It was a big disappointment then to book my daughter's first ticket for Saturday only to be told she wouldn't get the same treatment. Now, they enter every "new" supporter into a draw and give one lucky fan a signed pendant. She's gutted not to be getting the same as her brother and it's taken a bit of the shine off the game. We'll go and buy her the cap, and she'll still get her shirt but it's not the same and I see it as a backward step for the club. Not to mention moving the family area to the upper West where the kids won't have such a good view due to the distance and separation from the atmosphere.

A real shame that this will be the last time youngsters get an experience like this...

@AdamB what are the club's reasons behind not doing this anymore?

IMG_5064.JPG

To be honest it seems a very short sighted move. Get them young, get them for life. It's cheap as chips and easy to do. So why wouldn't you want to maximise your conversion rate or whatever - I mean it's marketting 101.

Agreed about the Upper Landsdown move as well. I looked at the stadium plan today and thought how sad. My first games were in the schoolboys enclosure under the dolman, and I'm sure that closeness made me feel part of the action. Now they seem to want to make it sterile.

Good to have a positive Club response, but as others have said....surely the more the merrier. 

Great to give out caps. Why not, if there are people cheating the system, do it after 10 matches? Give them a card with a photo on it and collect stamps to qualify for a cap. That'll be fun for the kids, put pressure on the parents to keep them coming and make economic sense for the Club. Simple and all benefit. Could have extra 'benefits' for 20, 30, 40 matches. 

I hereby claim my private flight on Steve's plane to Barbados for suffering 50+ seasons of watching us. 

17 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Good to have a positive Club response, but as others have said....surely the more the merrier. 

Great to give out caps. Why not, if there are people cheating the system, do it after 10 matches? Give them a card with a photo on it and collect stamps to qualify for a cap. That'll be fun for the kids, put pressure on the parents to keep them coming and make economic sense for the Club. Simple and all benefit. Could have extra 'benefits' for 20, 30, 40 matches. 

I hereby claim my private flight on Steve's plane to Barbados for suffering 50+ seasons of watching us. 

Great idea. Not sure how people can cheat the system easily though - you have to sign the kids up as members and they have their own supporter ID to check purchase history and so on. A loyalty card type idea could work well though.

9 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

He'd need a Jumbo or two to accommodate all of us in that category M2S.

1 hour ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

So much for this dying a death. Just did it at halftime 

As a result of this thread. If you read above you'll see Adam kindly offered it to myself and a few others. As it stands it may continue with 3 a game, or may stop altogether.

Anyway, cheers @AdamB for your help. 

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Just like to say a big thank you to @AdamB for getting things sorted for my son Elliott today. Great day, great result! COYR 

Same for my daughter as well, she won the signed pennant and looked a little bemused and would have preferred a cap. She then asked the woman running it, if she had any toys to give away.

Archived