IGNORED

Smoke

COACH2

5 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Dear all

Please see an update below from Dave Storr Ashton Gate head of security.     I understand that there is a mixed response from fans on this topic, however, the stadium are following the legislation in its approach as well as the safety and comfort of all fans coming to the games.    There will be no further dialogue from Ashton Gate on this topic through the forum.   I am asking for all fans and in particular a number within the new S82 section to please respect the law and not attempt to either bring or ignite any smoke bombs or flares within the stadium.  We have a great opportunity to work together on creating an enhanced atmosphere and in the spirit of doing so we don't want to start off on a negative foot.   As always I am very open minded on ideas from the fans on how we can add to the match day atmosphere and this can be communicated through the supporters club and trust / FAN and S82.

Thank you

Mark Kelly

This is a reminder to everyone who attends Ashton Gate.  Smoke Bombs are prohibited items under the Football Ground Regulations, it is also a criminal offence to set one off inside a football ground.  On Saturday we not only had one thrown onto the field of play that has resulted in damage to the pitch but we also had a person dealt with by the medical team who suffered an asthma attack as a result of smoke inhalation.  In addition to this, they can cause a fire alarm activation and have previously resulted in crowd panic at an event resulting in a number of injuries.  Bristol City FC have been reported by the Match Official for these incidents on Saturday and could now face a financial penalty.

It therefore goes without saying that we take this very serious and anyone found with a smoke bomb, lighting it, holding it, or throwing it will be banned for a least a season from  Ashton Gate.

Dave Storr

But, but, smoke bombs are totally harmless, OTIB told me so.

In seriousness, I hope they are alright and that it wasn't too serious as asthma attacks go.

Perhaps this message could be put up throughout the ground so everyone can read it especially the idiots who let them off. Perhaps now they will realise that someone could have died from the results of their actions. 

16 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Dear all

Please see an update below from Dave Storr Ashton Gate head of security.     I understand that there is a mixed response from fans on this topic, however, the stadium are following the legislation in its approach as well as the safety and comfort of all fans coming to the games.    There will be no further dialogue from Ashton Gate on this topic through the forum.   I am asking for all fans and in particular a number within the new S82 section to please respect the law and not attempt to either bring or ignite any smoke bombs or flares within the stadium.  We have a great opportunity to work together on creating an enhanced atmosphere and in the spirit of doing so we don't want to start off on a negative foot.   As always I am very open minded on ideas from the fans on how we can add to the match day atmosphere and this can be communicated through the supporters club and trust / FAN and S82.

Thank you

Mark Kelly

This is a reminder to everyone who attends Ashton Gate.  Smoke Bombs are prohibited items under the Football Ground Regulations, it is also a criminal offence to set one off inside a football ground.  On Saturday we not only had one thrown onto the field of play that has resulted in damage to the pitch but we also had a person dealt with by the medical team who suffered an asthma attack as a result of smoke inhalation.  In addition to this, they can cause a fire alarm activation and have previously resulted in crowd panic at an event resulting in a number of injuries.  Bristol City FC have been reported by the Match Official for these incidents on Saturday and could now face a financial penalty.

It therefore goes without saying that we take this very serious and anyone found with a smoke bomb, lighting it, holding it, or throwing it will be banned for a least a season from  Ashton Gate.

Dave Storr

This was my point on Saturday.

If it's a rule, then it's a rule. Whether agreed with or not.

Shame, but hey ho.

Not that it should have needed clearing up, but thanks for clearing it up.

Would imagine that if they have to evacuate the stadium if the alarms go  off would cost a fortune in wasted stock, goodwill and shipping visiting fans back home if there was a delay of an hour or so whilst they checked there wasn't a genuine fire.

Just now, 054123 said:

Why, ridiculous immature response deserves another.

Response deriding those claiming smoke bombs do no harm, even after there were multiple posts on the thread detailing harm cause by them and now the revelation that someone did actually suffer because of the ones let off on Saturday.

Hardly ridiculous.

Thanks Dave and @Mkelly for reiterating this. The rationale is completely clear and fair. Sad to hear that a fellow Red suffered an asthma attack as a result of someone's unthinking selfish action. Angered to hear that the club might have to foot the bill with the FA too. Any sane fan will now draw a line under this debate. With the spectre of Grenfell and terrorist attacks in the public consciousness the last thing we need at Ashton Gate is a crowd stampede triggered by a smoke bomb or flare.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This of course is the other side of the coin.

For all pro pyro arguments- and I say this as someone who thinks they look great and can enhance the atmosphere- doing it can get the club in trouble.

Reported by the ref and could face a fine. Plus far more importantly the asthma case referred to in OP.

I recommend that you change your opinion. Smoke inhalation is detrimental to health whether you think it looks nice or not.

And taking this to the ultimate scenario, is that someone who is not a stupid City fan but much more sinister, it could be bombs going off instead.

99.999% of us go to watch a football match and don't expect to die during the match.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I recommend that you change your opinion. Smoke inhalation is detrimental to health whether you think it looks nice or not.

And taking this to the ultimate scenario, is that someone who is not a stupid City fan but much more sinister, it could be bombs going off instead.

99.999% of us go to watch a football match and don't expect to die during the match.

I will go away and read up on it moreso.

However I cannot remember the posters name but what I will say is that in the original "Smoke" thread, a poster said he was in that industry and it need not be a major problem.

14 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Thanks Dave and @Mkelly for reiterating this. The rationale is completely clear and fair. Sad to hear that a fellow Red suffered an asthma attack as a result of someone's unthinking selfish action. Angered to hear that the club might have to foot the bill with the FA too. Any sane fan will now draw a line under this debate. With the spectre of Grenfell and terrorist attacks in the public consciousness the last thing we need at Ashton Gate is a crowd stampede triggered by a smoke bomb or flare.

Great response, would double like if it was possible. COYR 

33 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

How did the smoke bomb get in  ? 

Surely they were checked at the turnstiles before coming into the ground, so who ever bought it on should be banned.  

I know, I can't fathom how they would have got it past the guys who half heartedly ask everyone to open their coats and jackets.

1 hour ago, South Somerset Red said:

You do realise if we had this kind of thing other fans would take the piss? Look its city and their smoke machines again haha.

Suppose to be attending football not a disco, the whole point of football atmosphere is for it to be created by the supporters. The smoke area is not a bad shout though.

I agree but this nanny state health and safety and political correctness era we live in sometimes you got to meet half way to start with..

51 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

How did the smoke bomb get in  ? 

Surely they were checked at the turnstiles before coming into the ground, so who ever bought it on should be banned.  

After the article about extra security, no big bags etc. How have they managed to get the smoke bombs through? @Mkelly

1 hour ago, Mkelly said:

Dave Storr

I agree with the rationale, and as someone with very very severe asthma, I think its appropriate the club responds, but I'm very glad that this may not necessarily constitute a life ban. Some sort of discipline is obviously, legally in order, but to deprive someone of the opportunity to visit AG forever shocks me.

I've left the original message pinned and I will lock it. I've moved all the discussions from the thread and merged it with this one so it doesn't go off in a tangent. Someone has quoted @Mkellymessage so even though it doesn't flow properly it's not bad. I hope this makes sense, I thought it was the best option? 

Archived