IGNORED

Marlon Pack

MC RISK77

Always thought pack was underrated and  smith overrated. Don't get me wrong I like Korey, but if he was as good as some on here used to make out he'd have been in the prem. his link up play is average at best. Pack on the other hand has always kept possession well and won the ball. He has had a handful of poor games especially the season before last, but is actually very consistent and today looked more positive on the ball and NEVER goes missing. And he links defence to attack very well

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think people didn't get him for a while. People generally enjoy watching and rate midfielders who can crunch into tackles (like Smith or Tommy Doc) or creative types/goalscorers (Tomlin/Hartley). For a while I think people saw Pack neither category and as a slow, lethargic player who gives the ball away and doesn't look like he's having much impact.

He's improved on all aspects of his game and I agree with others that say he's got better as the team has generally got better. Fans are starting to appreciate what he brings to the team and how his skills allow others to show their strengths. 

I think he's capable of a few more goals - he can hit the ball really well and I'd like to see him take a few long shots. I have a feeling he's got the potential for a few screamers.

I see why you mean, I rate Korey for his defensive prowess but my one issue was Marlon loved a risky pass and it seemed he didn't have the ability to read situations he was in very well. 

Change of that and he's quality! 

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

Many don't understand that the long balls were under instruction from Cotterill. 

He's flourished since being able to play a full and wholesome game, rather than being instructed by the manager to hit the channels with every possession. 

Sorry Harry I know you have always been a Pack fan, I thought Pack was a major part of the problem last season along with piss poor full backs, thankfully as I said earlier in the thread Pack was the best player on the field today by a country mile, but last season was nowt to do with Cotterill as much as you'd like it to be and even Bryan looked comfortable today by comparison to his full back displays of last season.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sorry Harry I know you have always been a Pack fan, I thought Pack was a major part of the problem last season along with piss poor full backs, thankfully as I said earlier in the thread Pack was the best player on the field today by a country mile, but last season was nowt to do with Cotterill as much as you'd like it to be and even Bryan looked comfortable today by comparison to his full back displays of last season.

You're correct about the full backs last season Es, I'll give you that. 

Pack cut the diagonals out hugely last season. Under Cotterill it was a game-plan. Hence he'd be more hit and miss with it as he was asked to do it 20 times a game. Last season he'd look for it only when the opportunity might be there, not as a set game-plan. 

He was without doubt our most consistent player last season and I'm glad many people are finally beginning to understand his worth. 

Basically, if he had an extra 3 yards of pace he'd be playing in the prem. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pack cut the diagonals out hugely last season. Under Cotterill it was a game-plan. Hence he'd be more hit and miss with it as he was asked to do it 20 times a game. Last season he'd look for it only when the opportunity might be there, not as a set game-plan. 

He was without doubt our most consistent player last season and I'm glad many people are finally beginning to understand his worth. 

Not for me he wasn't I suggest you look back a host of goals that we conceded right down the middle last season, quite often because of a lazy pass or being caught in possession far to far up the pitch and then watching him run through treacle trying to play catch up or losing the ball in dangerous positions in and around our own area.

We will agree to disagree on his worth last season, as a good friend once said to me when I said that I had all Neil Young's albums, "ah but you are a fan".

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think people didn't get him for a while. People generally enjoy watching and rate midfielders who can crunch into tackles (like Smith or Tommy Doc) or creative types/goalscorers (Tomlin/Hartley). For a while I think people saw Pack neither category and as a slow, lethargic player who gives the ball away and doesn't look like he's having much impact.

He's improved on all aspects of his game and I agree with others that say he's got better as the team has generally got better. Fans are starting to appreciate what he brings to the team and how his skills allow others to show their strengths. 

I think he's capable of a few more goals - he can hit the ball really well and I'd like to see him take a few long shots. I have a feeling he's got the potential for a few screamers.

Peterborough away in the promotion season. Had his volley gone in rather than hit the bar, I would have seen the best goal by a city player since Maynards GOTS 

2 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Really...thought he didn't really get into the game. Didn't have much of the ball and it showed when he tried his eye of the needle balls and gave it away. Thought Pack and Smith had quiet games and were bypassed.

It's all about opinions, but really!!

12 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Really...thought he didn't really get into the game. Didn't have much of the ball and it showed when he tried his eye of the needle balls and gave it away. Thought Pack and Smith had quiet games and were bypassed.

You've surpassed yourself there mate.

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

It's all about opinions, but really!!

Indeed.

10 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

It is all about opinions indeed. I thought he was quiet and struggled to get into the game. 

I'm gonna sound arrogant, but you must be the only person in the ground with that opinion.  Pack wears no21, just in case you were looking at the wrong player. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Huh?!

he ran the game! Put GON in instead and you will see someone not getting into a game!

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

What mind altering drug have you been taking? 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree with this. The  way that L J has deployed Pack has, in my opinion, really utilised his greatest strengths with those frequently misdirected diagonals under Cotterill an ever decreasing memory! 

Pack was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Ran the game.

I also have been one that has been critical of Pack in previous seasons - for good reason. In the first two seasons in the Champ he often took too long and gave the ball away in dangerous areas and played too many 'hollywood' passes that didn't come off. 

I know that he has always showed moments of class and in training is out of this world.

Today was the first time that he has put all that talent together and put in a 90 minute performance that any player would be proud of.

Not sure why some feel the need to be sanctimoinos and have a go at those who have rightly criticised Pack in the past. He has always had great potential and today he showed he was worth investing in. A little bit of unnecessary 'I told you so' point scoring is petty.

Well done Marlon and I really hope this is the season you come of age and dominate the midfield. Has all the attributes to do it. 

11 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Predictable response from yourself

Agree with the majority. Was simply sublime (with a few others) yesterday.

Has goals in him, but I think must be playing a deeper role than at Cheltenham. Saw him at Torquay score a belter of a free kick for Chelts. Surprised he hasn't grabbed a few more from dead ball situations tbh.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Agree with the majority. Was simply sublime (with a few others) yesterday.

Has goals in him, but I think must be playing a deeper role than at Cheltenham. Saw him at Torquay score a belter of a free kick for Chelts. Surprised he hasn't grabbed a few more from dead ball situations tbh.

Saw him for CTFC a few times and he was a much more attacking player, going past people, hitting shots...has a lot in his locker.

First name on team sheet for me.

• Admin
17 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

I'll just take a moment to counter your opinion with a fact. Yesterday Pack made 46 passes. That is 10 more than any other player on the park managed. I'll leave it to others to decide if that counts as "didn't have much of the ball". 

Archived