IGNORED

LJ - Well Done

WayOutWest

Today couldn't have gone any better!!

Credit where credit is due.  There has been much said, last season and in the close season, and to say LJ has divided opinion is an understatement.  I was certainly one of his detractors during last season.

But, if you take into account pre-season preparation,  incoming and outgoing players and the full 90 minutes today, you would have to say outstanding job LJ.

All that hard work paid off.  Those team meetings where playing culture, work ethic and style of play he wished to see, probably drummed into the players relentlessly was a joy to behold.  They completely bought into it.  The passing and movement was decisive, but it was so evident when we lost the ball.  We won it back almost immediately.  LJ banged on and on last season about energy.  Today he got it.

Make no mistake Barnsley are not a bad team.  They have good players, but we wiped the floor with them.  I bet they never expected us to start so brightly.  I almost felt sorry for them.

Our players set their own standards, and today was of the highest order.  The likes of Brownhill, Bryan and Bobby Reid......well Bobby Reid, how good was he!!! all seem to have come of age.  We can  compete at this level.  They have to have taken confidence from this.

I take my hat of to LJ and his staff for a fantastically executed pre-season culminating into a very very impressive first game of the season.

The jury might be out for many, but even those fans, have to concede that if feels like a very big step in the right direction.

Steve

13 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Make no mistake Barnsley are not a bad team.  They have good players, but we wiped the floor with them.  I bet they never expected us to start so brightly.  I almost felt sorry for them.

Our players set their own standards, and today was of the highest order.  The likes of Brownhill, Bryan and Bobby Reid......well Bobby Reid, how good was he!!! all seem to have come of age.  We can  compete at this level.  They have to have taken confidence from this.

I take my hat of to LJ and his staff for a fantastically executed pre-season culminating into a very very impressive first game of the season.

The jury might be out for many, but even those fans, have to concede that if feels like a very big step in the right direction.

Sorry, they really are.

Relegation probables at the very least, we did play well first half but they were utter rubbish.

Credit LJ for selecting Reid though, goals against Yeovil & Manor Farm prove nothing, but he was really excellent today.

I thought Barnsley were pretty poor today...lots of new players? Looked well off the pace.

Credit where it is due, I agree...a very impressive first half.

A long way to go though. If LJ can keep them performing like this he will, of course, change a few hearts and minds...let's see...

Good start although no cigar. Playing Barnsley today was like getting a bye but I think it was the manner of the win which can give us all a great deal of optimism.

Lee has demonstrated that he is capable of putting out a team that can beat the best in the Championship- where he is yet to succeed is maintaining this without a gut wrenching prolonged dip in form but I think he's ready to kick on and very capable of rising to the challenge.

Johnson in. 

I promised myself I wouldn't overreact to today's result, however it went.

All I will say is that the football I saw against Yeovil and Twente looked good and we saw a very similar package today.

It is however early days and Barnsley looked weak.

One step at at time. Today was one step forward ........

37 minutes ago, Leveller said:

All I will say is that the football I saw against Yeovil and Twente looked good and we saw a very similar package today.

Johnson out 

Just now, Robbored said:

It's difficult to say whether  Barnsley were so poor that any team would have looked much better than them or whether it was City's high pressing, high tempo, slick play that undid them.

Id like to think it was latter......

Relax-they are diabolical and will be extremely fortunate to beat the drop.which is very very good news for us.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

yes you can only beat whats in frint of you but they were dire

1 hour ago, Thatwasclose said:

Are we going to have one of these after every game??

Not from me. It was more of a post to reflect the hard work done in preseason. 

It has paid off. I am surprised by the amount of people writing of Barnsley. Most would say that teams are evenly matched and on any given day anyone can beat anyone. 

The way we dismantled them should be applauded. Granted it's only the first game, but for all the stick he got last season, it's worth noting that the performance and result should be attributed to a great preseason. 

Stevo

Give it 6-8 games. Barnsley were no barometre as poor all round. Pisano, Bryan and Reid stood out. Diedhoui (sp?) enjoyed a solid debut and the midfield were effective. Would've liked to see us really turn the screw second half but it turned into a workout. 

One slight worry, as a new South Stander having been nomadic since the East End days.. will miss the proximity to away fans for atmosphere.

Good start though. Love Eros already.

6 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Credit where credit is due.  There has been much said, last season and in the close season, and to say LJ has divided opinion is an understatement.  I was certainly one of his detractors during last season.

But, if you take into account pre-season preparation,  incoming and outgoing players and the full 90 minutes today, you would have to say outstanding job LJ.

All that hard work paid off.  Those team meetings where playing culture, work ethic and style of play he wished to see, probably drummed into the players relentlessly was a joy to behold.  They completely bought into it.  The passing and movement was decisive, but it was so evident when we lost the ball.  We won it back almost immediately.  LJ banged on and on last season about energy.  Today he got it.

Steve

I'm glad folks are finally seeing the light and backing our man. 

9 hours ago, Danwal said:

Pick the right team and got the result against a very poor team. However after 60min we needed freshening up. O'dowda and gus much earlier would have been better. Give players a chance to shine against poor opposition. 

Agree, Barnsley's pre-season form has been dire (beaten 4-0 by L1 Rochdale last time out).

I expect us to put the work rate in to win on Tuesday, so the first real test will be at Birmingham. Now if LJ can out tactic 'arry to bring us 3 pts there, then it really  will be justified congratulations on job well done.

9 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Steve

Good result today.

We beat what was put in front of us. Looking forward to Birmingham and Brentford.

4 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I'm glad folks are finally seeing the light and backing our man. 

Nothing to do with seeing the light. Tbh most people who were critical of him last season, and more than justifiably so, want him to show the improvement (bar one or two tiresome posters who constantly moan about Diedhou being unproven, other teams young players also improving blah blah blah). If we continue to approach games like yesterday and pick up enough results to see us comfortable then Johnson will get a fairly easy ride this season.

It's a good start, but it's a home match against a side we really ought to be beating if we're serious about having even a half decent season. 

I appreciate we've had a good pre-season, strengthened with possibly more to come, but we started last season well too.

Credit where it's due, it couldn't have gone much better yesterday, but I'll save the high praise until we've shown some consistency in performance. A loss at Birmingham and this place will be in meltdown again, guaranteed. A win and we'll have threads about promotion. 

Really encouraging signs, and I'm pleased to see how positive everyone is. Let's hope it lasts.

Let's be honest - Barnsley, as stated by some above, were dreadful, yesterday was no measure of where we are.

Its only the first game and far to early to say 'job well done'.

Yes Pisano is a real upgrade no question, but Fam looks worryingly short of pace for this league, looks a footballer - absolutely, but not a 20 goals a year striker.

The whole the  ' young Bobby' thing is also a concern - yes, did really really well yesterday, in the main, but are we really expecting him to be our main threat?

Patterson, or 'Pato' as his fan club call him, was back to the very mediocre championship player he is.

Brownhill ? Was he on the pitch?

Lots to improve on and reinforcements still needed. 

Having that winning mentality is a huge thing. I think the way pre-season has been handled and the build up to the start of the season has been great.

Yes some of the sides we have played have not been a great challenge, but what pre-season gave us was a step up in class game by game whilst we kept winning.

I'd much rather that and have that confidence you get from winning games and scoring goals than playing 'bigger' sides and getting thumped and demoralised.

I think yesterday we could see the confidence that pre-season has instilled in the squad...that and Barnsley were useless.

8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Yes Pisano is a real upgrade no question, but Fam looks worryingly short of pace for this league, looks a footballer - absolutely, but not a 20 goals a year striker.

Lack of pace didn't seem to be a problem for the likes of Murray and Wood last season.

Archived