IGNORED

What strikers are leaving then?

EmersonsRed

After LJs comment about wanting to bring in a new striker and we're expecting one, that leaves us with:

Famara
Bobby*
Gustav
Milan
Matty Taylor
New striker

* For those who say Bobby isn't, isn't he? He's clearly far more effective as a second striker than a deeper 10, safe to assume he'll be seen as a striker by management now...

I presume we'll be playing two upfront all season, partnerships of Famara/Bobby, Famara/Matty T, Milan/Bobby... Little and large. Also presume the striker we're bringing in is a little lad to fit Diedhou. This leaves us with 6 strikers presuming we buy one, which is frankly ridiculous. We could loan out Gustav? But isn't that a little pointless unless it's to a team in this country?

I doubt there's another team in the country with 6 strikers, but I genuinely don't know whom we'd sell. My problem with selling Milan is who would buy him?

Think Đurić is going to be perpetually injured sadly. When fit I think he'll be great but seems to get niggles all the time. Maybe due to his height and position. I feel that lineup of forwards has lots of power and hustle, lacks a bit of speed.

Only seen Engvall for the second time yesterday so don't really know what he's about just yet. He looked nervous yesterday I felt.

My money would be in Engval, LJ refused to give Bobby a regular start last season and got proved wrong, he is not going to risk being proved wrong twice with Engval is he?

it won't be Đurić, has to stay at least until the wife gets his name right! She still thinks he's thin latex

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He actually said 'attack minded player', which I took to mean Eliasson.

I think he is after both a wide player and a striker - this is the statement from twitter.

Hope we're after a typical number9 (a Tammy or Maynard type)...think with both Diedhiou's strength and creativity from wide (Eliasson and Paterson) we will create lots of opportunities to score. Just like Bobby's two goals yesterday. If we had someone who read the game (as a natural striker) and would take more of a gamble in the box we would have scored more yesterday.

IMG_0137.PNG

7 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

I think he is after both a wide player and a striker - this is the statement from twitter.

Hope we're after a typical number9 (a Tammy or Maynard type)...think with both Diedhiou's strength and creativity from wide (Eliasson and Paterson) we will create lots of opportunities to score. Just like Bobby's two goals yesterday. If we had someone who read the game (as a natural striker) and would take more of a gamble in the box we would have scored more yesterday.

IMG_0137.PNG

Thanks, the Post quote only refers to attack minded player.

I assume the injuries to Taylor and Đurić are a concern hence the need for another striker. 

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, the Post quote only refers to attack minded player.

I assume the injuries to Taylor and Đurić are a concern hence the need for another striker. 

I'd agree with that

I get the impression that Đurić will be injured more than he is fit. 

Taylors injury has been quite persistent - will he be able to play week in, week out? At this stage it looks unlikely to me...we could do with his movement up top though.

The jury is out on Engvall - is he good enough? No one knows

Which means we need someone else. Assuming Flint goes we must have cash to spend...so let's spend big and get a really good finisher!

2 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

I'd agree with that

Taylors injury has been quite persistent - will he be able to play week in, week out? At this stage it looks unlikely to me...we could do with his movement up top though.

Which means we need someone else. Assuming Flint goes we must have cash to spend...so let's spend big and get a really good finisher!

Would be nice !!!

And a massive statement of intent

But ,  I think , it will be a back up type , whether a up n coming (Like Vassell) or a young striker on loan from Prem

(I'd go and get Vassell (Dependent on what Luton want £££) )

2 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

I'd agree with that

Taylor has already had two injections. I expect to hear in a couple of weeks that he needs an operation. It always seems to work that way. :sad26:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Would be nice !!!

But ,  I think , it will be a back up type , whether a up n coming (Like Vassell) or a young striker on loan from Prem

A huge statement of intent as you say.

Haven't seen Vassell play but based upon the feedback on here he is exactly the type of player we should be going after.

Sounds like he could be a gem - proper finisher / poacher.

So, back to the OPs question - I'm not sure anyone is going. Think a new arrival is to cover any gaps created by the injuries to both Đurić and Taylor.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Would be nice !!!

I presume Luton would want a fair bit, given they're relatively financially stable for where they are. But I think this is the target we should be after. Movement is incredible. Can't teach what he has.

I think we'll lean towards a loan though, if we went to a club asking for a young striker from if they were available on loan I guess it would be quite hard to say no given how Tammy did for us last year.

6 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

I presume Luton would want a fair bit, given they're relatively financially stable for where they are. But I think this is the target we should be after. Movement is incredible. Can't teach what he has.

I think we'll lean towards a loan though, if we went to a club asking for a young striker from if they were available on loan I guess it would be quite hard to say no given how Tammy did for us last year.

That would make sense and reassess in January when we can see if Milan and MT`s injuries are resolved plus if we have any more injuries.

watched the SKy Sports video of the goals he scored for Luton yesterday vs Yeovil, and he looks very pacy, and a bit raw (not unexpected given the levels he has played at) but he knows where the goal is.  Vassell or another young, hungry, developing player of his ilk would be a better signing IMO than a Championship journeyman looking for another payday

So with the likes of....
Famara
Bobby*
Gustav
Milan
Matty Taylor
Hinds

in the squad already I can't say we need another perm striker, I can see us taking a striker on loan that's it. As when everyone is fit that will leave us with 7 forward options. I think 6 is a lot already. 

Archived