IGNORED

City 4 Blackburn2 , video

1960maaan

Another of those seasons with a fine start that had us all dreaming.

In time for the recommencement of second division football at Ashton Gate, City signed two defenders and three strikers. Welsh international Mark Aizlewood came from Bradford City for £110,000 and Andy May cost £90,000 from Huddersfield. Mark Gavin went to Watford and City received Wayne Allison plus £100,000. Louie Donowa joined from Ipswich for £50,000 and Mark Jones was picked up on a free transfer from Crystal Palace. First division Aston Villa were seeking a new manager and approached both Bristol clubs. Joe Jordan declined stating that he wished to complete the job that he had started. This year four clubs would be promoted, the top three automatically and those in fourth to seventh places would play off for the other one.

On the opening day of the season, a panel of pundits on B.B.C. Radio 5 stated they believed Bristol City might be good enough to win promotion straight away. That afternoon Blackburn Rovers were the visitors and were 1-0 up at half time. In the second half Aizlewood equalised only to see Blackburn retake the lead. Then Bob Taylor scored twice and Nicky Morgan hit another for a 4-2 victory. In midweek, City went to West Brom for a League Cup match and Morgan scored two more in a two all draw. The following weekend saw City at Swindon, but the match was played on the Sunday at the request of the police. Junior Bent scored the only goal and this was the first time that City had won on a Sunday since the idea was introduced in 1974. That win lifted City to fourth position when the first League table was published,

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Full match highlights ofCity's first home game of the 1990-1991 season and the visitors were Blackburn Rovers..  Great start to the season which really have been even better.

Commentary by Phil Tottle.

Thanks for that (and all the other trips down memory lane you upload). I was a teenager, sat in the east end that day.

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

Another of those seasons with a fine start that had us all dreaming.

In time for the recommencement of second division football at Ashton Gate, City signed two defenders and three strikers. Welsh international Mark Aizlewood came from Bradford City for £110,000 and Andy May cost £90,000 from Huddersfield. Mark Gavin went to Watford and City received Wayne Allison plus £100,000. Louie Donowa joined from Ipswich for £50,000 and Mark Jones was picked up on a free transfer from Crystal Palace. First division Aston Villa were seeking a new manager and approached both Bristol clubs. Joe Jordan declined stating that he wished to complete the job that he had started. This year four clubs would be promoted, the top three automatically and those in fourth to seventh places would play off for the other one.

On the opening day of the season, a panel of pundits on B.B.C. Radio 5 stated they believed Bristol City might be good enough to win promotion straight away. That afternoon Blackburn Rovers were the visitors and were 1-0 up at half time. In the second half Aizlewood equalised only to see Blackburn retake the lead. Then Bob Taylor scored twice and Nicky Morgan hit another for a 4-2 victory. In midweek, City went to West Brom for a League Cup match and Morgan scored two more in a two all draw. The following weekend saw City at Swindon, but the match was played on the Sunday at the request of the police. Junior Bent scored the only goal and this was the first time that City had won on a Sunday since the idea was introduced in 1974. That win lifted City to fourth position when the first League table was published,

I did not know that.

Any guesses at when we last won on a league match on a Sunday?

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

Thanks for that (and all the other trips down memory lane you upload). I was a teenager, sat in the east end that day.

I did not know that.

Not sure if it was the most recent example (there might have been a game over the Christmas period that fell on a Sunday in the years since), but one that springs to mind is Barnsley away in 2004, towards the end of the season, when I think Rougier scored the winner in a 1-0 win. 

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Did David Speedy (signed from Chelsea) get sent off in this game?

If he was, then it's possible he was the first person to be sent off for a professional foul (which I think was introduced that season).

Stattos - help me here!

Speedie joined Blackburn a year later, in 1991. We played Blackburn at home in the third game of 91-92, on 24th August 1991, and beat them 1-0 courtesy of a Wayne Allison goal. Speedie played but there's no mention of a red card in the match notes in 'Bristol City: The Modern Era' by David Woods. 

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

11 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Not sure if it was the most recent example (there might have been a game over the Christmas period that fell on a Sunday in the years since), but one that springs to mind is Barnsley away in 2004, towards the end of the season, when I think Rougier scored the winner in a 1-0 win. 

Just looked this up. There have been quite a few examples in recent years. As far as I can see the most recent was the 8-2 win against Walsall on the final day of 2014-15. Earlier that same season we won at Notts County and Gillingham, and beat Fleetwood at home, all on Sundays. 

Fair play to Mike J for uploading these.  Pretty decent season 90-91, although subject to countless previous "What If" discussions regarding Jordan staying and Bob being managed correctly (20+ goals and the playoffs?).

He's also uploaded the derby game from 89-90.  Worth seeing just to remind yourself what a despicable bunch of ####nuts the Sags truly were (are?).  Esp. Alexander.  Good to see Bob giving him some grief after he's just tried to cut Dave Smith in half firts time around.

Happy times.

20 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Full match highlights ofCity's first home game of the 1990-1991 season and the visitors were Blackburn Rovers..  Great start to the season which really have been even better.

Commentary by Phil Tottle.

I remember that game, have the programme in the loft, it was very warm, I stood down the front of the old enclosure or should I say sat on the bar at the front!  Happy times, I still have the yellow and black stripey goalie top as well, it was adult size when I bought it and still fits!

On 06/08/2017 at 21:23, Gazred said:

Sat? I have memories of dropping my cigarette (yes kids, we smoked wherever the hell we wanted in the crazy 90s) and getting crushed against the leaning posts as the 3rd or 4th went in

Anyone settle this?

1960 - love these vids, thank you!

11 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Sat? I have memories of dropping my cigarette (yes kids, we smoked wherever the hell we wanted in the crazy 90s) and getting crushed against the leaning posts as the 3rd or 4th went in

Anyone settle this?

You could well be right mate. Force of habit saying sat, I honestly can't remember.

37 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Anyone settle this?

EastEnd , open end and enclosure  still standing then

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

EastEnd , open end and enclosure  still standing then

Yeah, I watched a bit of the video and it becomes clear it's still standing. The best of times. Wonderful stadium now, but I do miss those days, Bob

6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Yeah, I watched a bit of the video and it becomes clear it's still standing. The best of times. Wonderful stadium now, but I do miss those days, Bob

Agree mate

Always remember that game - was a hot sunny opening day , and the game , and atmosphere , were electric - one of my most memorable games at the Gate outside the big obvious ones

As someone else said - I felt we had a real chance that year on that afternoon

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree mate

Always remember that game - was a hot sunny opening day , and the game , and atmosphere , were electric - one of my most memorable games at the Gate outside the big obvious ones

As someone else said - I felt we had a real chance that year on that afternoon

Yep, I think we all did. Before Blackburn had their money, but after 10 years in Div 3, to stick 4 on them was a great result

Still say that if JJ stayed we'd have gone up with that team

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Yep, I think we all did. Before Blackburn had their money, but after 10 years in Div 3, to stick 4 on them was a great result

Still say that if JJ stayed we'd have gone up with that team

I was 'around' the club at that time and had a good insight on a lot of what was going on then , and I'm convinced under Joe we would have , or come very close

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I was 'around' the club at that time and had a good insight on a lot of what was going on then , and I'm convinced under Joe we would have , or come very close

Don't, please don't!

I can still remember reading that JJ had gone to Hearts on ceefax, broke my heart. 27 years later and we're no closer!

8 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Don't, please don't!

I can still remember reading that JJ had gone to Hearts on ceefax, broke my heart. 27 years later and we're no closer!

Our biggest mistake was replacing him with Lumsden (IMHO)

The right Appointment then could have kept us on that curve 

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Our biggest mistake was replacing him with Lumsden (IMHO)

The right Appointment then could have kept us on that curve 

More annoying when he didn't even want the job, had to be talked into it. Did ok but as you say, the right man at that time and things could have been so different.

14 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Was in the East End and remember being very optimistic after this game to win 4-2 against a team with Sellars and Garner. Felt like we were going places. 

It surprises me that I thought Blackburn were massive that day (I know they'd been in the pay-offs in previous seasons, but...) yet I now see Scott Sellars, top scorer Simon Garner, Mick Duxbury and Nicky Reid were all injured that day. Was a wonderful opening day of the season, though (the bit I saw before getting nicked for being on the pitch celebrating one of Bob's goals. That's too much pre-match cider for you)

18 hours ago, Offside said:

I remember that Blackburn game well. I love that Nicky Morgan header from Smith's cross - one of my favourite ever City goals. We really felt like a club on the up.

Then, please, Offside, listen to Phil Tottle's monotone commentary wobble at 1hr17m as Morgan heads in from Smith's cross. It'll surely add to your already high enjoyment. Frankly, I'll never know how Morgan managed to catch up with Smith, after nodding down to him near the halfway line (a la Wilbraham, a skill Morgan was brilliant at, along with holding the ball up). Great goal, true.

Archived