IGNORED

Do you look up to everybody ?

Major Isewater

Stilts, brings back childhood memories. Over one Summer holidays I got quite good, got to a height of about four foot or so off the ground, that was high enough for me. Bit of a craze in my street at the time, all us kids had them. My Dad ( bless him) made them all for us, started off low and move the foot rests up as we became better. And yes @Cowshed we had many bruises and other injuries falling off them!

I remember kids taking a board with chord attached onto the terraces at AG. The chords would be looped around fences then by putting one foot on the board, they could see over the heads of the adults in front of them. Did anyone ever take a set of stilts to a football match to see over the heads of those in front?

13 hours ago, RedM said:

Stilts, brings back childhood memories. Over one Summer holidays I got quite good, got to a height of about four foot or so off the ground, that was high enough for me. Bit of a craze in my street at the time, all us kids had them. My Dad ( bless him) made them all for us, started off low and move the foot rests up as we became better. And yes @Cowshed we had many bruises and other injuries falling off them!

Couldn't/wouldn't happen nowadays...

Dad would end up being sued for injury damages in next to no time... The legal rigmarole of being appropriately third party public liability insured, carrying out various risk assessments, applying for and obtaining the relevant local authority licences and permits, satisfying all the health and safety rules and regs, lab testing of the stilts materials and construction, max weight capacity approval stamps  etc etc  It just wouldn't realistically be viable... all this before getting yourselves kitted out with elbow, knee & head protection, not forgetting suitably 'approved for elevated use' steel reinforced footwear..  ;) 

6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I can actually walk bloody well on stilts. Not sure I'd get them into the ground though. :D 

That's why they had to build the new stands bigger and better. Its to prevent the riff raff on stilts like you from standing in the car park and watching for free... those high roofs have put an end to your little games and now you have to pay like everyone else... ha, about time too no sympathy from me.

:) 

Archived