IGNORED

Hörður Magnússon

SStandUp

I see Magnússon is playing tonight, and everyone is buzzing about it.

Can someone tell me why City fans rate him so highly. From what I've seen of him, he's pretty awful.

Yes he tweets how good the club is and how great our fans are (snore).  But he's not good at football.

Would love someone to disagree and reasons for disagreeing.

9 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Harsh to say awful imo.  I think people get carried away with his Twitter persona (you only have to see the reaction to the team sheet on there) but he is a good defender. Just not as good as Baker, Wright, Hegeler and Flint, or Bryan and Golbourne.

Rate him more than Goldbourne 

29 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Harsh to say awful imo.  I think people get carried away with his Twitter persona (you only have to see the reaction to the team sheet on there) but he is a good defender. Just not as good as Baker, Wright, Hegeler and Flint, or Bryan and Golbourne.

Better than Byran, Hegeler and Goldbourne. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Probably the best passer of a ball we have at the club. Defenders as calm as him on the ball are a rare breed. Nurture him right and he'll be worth an absolute fortune to the club. 

This must be a joke? 

Its no exaggeration when I say, everytime he gets the ball he just boots it down the flank into no mans land 

Best left footed defender we've had for some time. Lovely chap too. 

Came over to say hello after the Cheltenham friendly. Genuine, gracious.

Most players would run scared of my nipper's wheelchair. Hörður spoke to him during and after the game, shook his hand and wanted to know all about him. 

I rated him beforehand. Far more now. 

I agree with the above he's calm on the ball. However he's a ball carrying defender IMO, not a passer, there's a difference. For me, has a lot of defending work to do. Seems to hate grappling with strikers and it's something you have to learn as a centre half. Watched him for the last 10mins of the game especially was no where near touch tight when defending crosses for example. 'Awful' is an exaggeration but work to do. Let's hope he can do it! COYR

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Didn't have a lot to do tonight but just seemed more of a natural on the left. A couple of great crosses and looked assured defensively.

Strange!  I thought he was one of two badly performing players tonight.  Kept falling over as I'm sure Johnson noted.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Didn't have a lot to do tonight but just seemed more of a natural on the left. A couple of great crosses and looked assured defensively.

Agree with this. Did he keep falling over, didn't notice any more than anyone else. I don't think he is up to Championship speed to be far, worked hard and always available but lacked sharpness understandably. Needed that extra second to decide whether to go left or right for example, and a good Championship player would have punished him for that.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Probably the best passer of a ball we have at the club. Defenders as calm as him on the ball are a rare breed. Nurture him right and he'll be worth an absolute fortune to the club. 

Best passer? No, he gives it away more than his fair share of times. A bit like Marlon Pack when we came up to the championship. Prefers that long diagonal pass. It's a lovely drilled ball but it's not accurate enough. He is calm on the call though and someone I would trust to take it around a pressing striker and make a decent pass into a striker to hold up. 

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Best left footed defender we've had for some time. Lovely chap too. 

Came over to say hello after the Cheltenham friendly. Genuine, gracious.

Most players would run scared of my nipper's wheelchair. Hörður spoke to him during and after the game, shook his hand and wanted to know all about him. 

I rated him beforehand. Far more now. 

We've had and have Baker who's left footed and a better defender than Mags. I think your experience with him probably rose tints him a bit for you. Is a lovely guy and a good footballer just not quite up to championship starting CB yet. 

18 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not up to the same standard as Bryan, but by no means awful. Just seemed to lack a bit of the natural instinct of a full back at times. 

Yep pretty much my view. Had an average game for me. When he gets the time and space he puts in a nice cross but doesn't have the knack for getting forward which I think we want from our fullbacks this season. Defensively didn't have much to do but don't doubt he couldn't do a job out there if needed. 

I think he proved in the first half of last season that he is good enough for this level, but he's gonna need to work even harder to establish himself with the competition.

I thought he was ordinary tonight, but difficult for him to do much else.  He's not a marauding full-back like Bryan and I thought O'Dowda didn't grasp the opportunity either, so our left side just did enough tonight.  They weren't bad, but they didn't impose themselves.  Yeah, COD had a few runs, but I thought he was flat other than that.

Archived