IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Lyon are a properly big club, Europa league qualifiers I would imagine. If he turns them down for us, I will, unexpectedly, give LJ and MA due praise, not something I have done very often. 

Would someone with his experience go into their first team squad though?

That could be the decision maker . More of less guaranteed starting here. My not even make Lyons squad. Wishful thinking maybe 

Lyon are a properly big club, Europa league qualifiers I think (stand to be corrected). If he turns them down for us, I will, unexpectedly, give LJ and MA due praise, not something I have done very often. 

They can be pretty convincing, heard they made a presentation for Tammy joining the mad lads. 

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Lyon are a properly big club, Europa league qualifiers I would imagine. If he turns them down for us, I will, unexpectedly, give LJ and MA due praise, not something I have done very often. 

Lyon are unequivocally a bigger club than us. But I would imagine we'll pay as well as them, if not better, and Eliasson will be told he'll be the star turn if he comes to us. He'll probably have to prove himself at Lyon. Plus, the end game for most young players is to end up in the Premier League or La Liga (for the $$$) and moving to Lyon doesn't achieve that. I think it's a big ask for us to beat out Lyon head to head for a player, but it's not out of the question

No and ultimately people will see any championship club as a stepping stone to better their career. As you said he won't get in Lyons first team so will have to bide his time - where as here he will playing week in week out getting the right sort of opportunity to make a name for himself. 

On 24/07/2017 at 13:29, Grey Fox said:

Do we really need more players? Seems to me we have plenty of options in all positions, especially midfield where it's a real head scratcher as to who are our top 4 or 5.

Personally am pleased we have a new right back and striker, they were the obvious needs, and think the squad of last season contains what we need providing LJ can decide on our core formation and preferred starters and not keep chopping and changing every 5 minutes.

IMO the success of Kodjia and Abraham can only be a bonus in trying to convince this sort of player to go where he's going to be the first name on the team sheet. 

Fingers crossed, would be an exciting signing. 

It's quite an eye opener TBH that a lower 2nd tier English side could potentially beat off a challenge from one of the French big boys! Imagine if it was the other way around? It wouldn't be remotely feasible for a L2 side in France to beat one of our big clubs to a player, absolutely no chance! 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's quite an eye opener TBH that a lower 2nd tier English side could potentially beat off a challenge from one of the French big boys! Imagine if it was the other way around? It wouldn't be remotely feasible for a L2 side in France to beat one of our big clubs to a player, absolutely no chance! 

If it does happen that doesn't even do it justice. Lyon are regulars in the Champions League and were in the semi finals as recently as 2010 against Bayern. They won 7 consecutive Ligue 1 titles between 2002-08 and have been a production line for some of the best French footballing talent, see Essien, Malouda, Benzema, Lacazette and many others

Were we to sign Eliasson over Lyon as others have said it must be down to a question of playing time. Money plays a role sure, but he must feel his career is better advanced by forming part of our Nordic spine: Magnússon, Engvall, Eliasson (okay, wishful thinking maybe)

2 minutes ago, MetzRed said:

If it does happen that doesn't even do it justice. Lyon are regulars in the Champions League and were in the semi finals as recently as 2010 against Bayern. They won 7 consecutive Ligue 1 titles between 2002-08 and have been a production line for some of the best French footballing talent, see Essien, Malouda, Benzema, Lacazette and many others

Were we to sign Eliasson over Lyon as others have said it must be down to a question of playing time. Money plays a role sure, but he must feel his career is better advanced by forming part of our Nordic spine: Magnússon, Engvall, Eliasson (okay, wishful thinking maybe)

Reading that is quite humbling TBH. I would be amazed, although happy, if we beat a club of their standing to any player.

Great post MetzRed. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, MetzRed said:

. Money plays a role sure, but he must feel his career is better advanced by forming part of our Nordic spine: Magnússon, Engvall, Eliasson (okay, wishful thinking maybe)

Sounds like a Scandinavian rock band

18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That just highlights the difference in popularity and money between the "SBC" and Ligue 2.. and French football vs English football in general.

If the money and status of English football vs French was flipped, I'm sure you'd see plenty choosing the French second tier over the English top tier.

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we beat bigger clubs to Fam's signature as well as tammy last season 

Obsession with "bigger" clubs from fans.

Of course the size and history of a club are a factor in a players decision making but nowhere near as important and many fans think.  It is a combination of many factors that make a club attractive to potential players. Location, wages, training facilities, friends already at club, coaching staff, playing time etc are all just as important. Many players sign for "smaller clubs" over what are deemed "big clubs". Most players do not see clubs in the same way as fans.

2 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Of course the size and history of a club are a factor in a players decision making but nowhere near as important and many fans think.  It is a combination of many factors that make a club attractive to potential players. Location, wages, training facilities, friends already at club, coaching staff, playing time etc are all just as important. Many players sign for "smaller clubs" over what are deemed "big clubs". Most players do not see clubs in the same way as fans.

The other thing to factor in is the influence of the agents and advisers. A Championship club in England might be a step down from a Ligue 1 club in France but players who excel in the Championship have a much better chance of catching the eye of premier league clubs leading to a big money high profile move...

15 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I get your point Ashtonwurzel, they're normally not named though and Olympic Lyonnaise are a proper big club who have, supposedly, shown an interest in the player. It won't look good on their part if a relatively small English club beat them to a target IMHO although there are obviously reasons we could use in our favour. So could they to be fair, undoubtedly a fair few strong ones as well.

We'll see if we can pull this off but him going to OL over us would be my expected outcome.

• Admin
1 hour ago, kiwicolin said:

Full namePer Niclas EliassonDate of birth7 December 1995 (age 21)Place of birthVarberg, SwedenHeight1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)Playing positionMidfielderClub information

Current team

Bristol City FCNumber10

@LeeTomlinMyLord on a side note, are you enjoying the school holidays?

5 minutes ago, Saunders87 said:

It's weird how this transfer is literally gone from loads of coverage to nothing at all. Hope this means something's being worked on. 

Wishful thinking tbh. Deal is dead I believe.

Would love to be wrong. 

Archived