IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

Just now, Touch_my_butter said:

Who would be dropped from our 'current' starting 11 to accommodate? (Team that started vs. Barnsley).

Given form, Bobby and Fammy stay put. This would mean losing someone from the 4-man midfield.

Eliasson would take left wing, with moved Paterson to right.

Keep Korey and Marlon and drop Brownhill? Or drop one and move Josh central?

I'd say Brownhill

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's what I was trying to imply...but who is this 'we' that we speak of? The fans, or those with more influence.

Tbh...I got it when we had Walsh, Murray, Smith, Gavin etc...back in those years...but when we had Albert...we played like a one man team. Everything went through him, and often ended in a cul de sac. It was appalling football to watch imo.

I agree we were a one man team back then, Spud. That wasn't Albert's fault though.

He was the only one worth turning up to watch (even if his end product was hit and miss!).

Good to have you back, by the way. 

Just now, Touch_my_butter said:

Who would be dropped from our 'current' starting 11 to accommodate? (Team that started vs. Barnsley).

Given form, Bobby and Fammy stay put. This would mean losing someone from the 4-man midfield.

Eliasson would take left wing, with moved Paterson to right.

Don't drop anyone till he's bedded in a few training seasons etc. Doesn't need to play straight away and we started season very well let's just keep the same side.

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...I also don't think LJ likes playing 'wingers'...if he were to, then I'd seriously question where that idea is coming from.

Everything he has shown since being here, is his preference to attack the 18 yard box from the front. In other words narrow.

Hence why so many fans have asked about crossing from the wings...as imo, that's what they've got used to City doing over the years.

Probably why we get so many requests to bring Albert back.

And i don't think Eliasson is being brought in to play as a 'winger'. I actually wonder if he was originally identified to play in the role 'Young' Bobby is playing so well in right now. But I think LJ wants his wingers to attack the box and support the striker, with the full backs providing the width; hence Bryan at fullback, hence signing Pisano, hence Paterson being played mainly on the left. Eliasson and Patterson can swap wings, come inside, stay wide... if gives options, creates fluidity and is damn hard to mark. The only issue for me is what to do with Brownhill. I really rate him, but if the fullbacks are high up the pitch and the wingers are attacking the box, can we afford to play him centrally? I'm not sure

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's what I was trying to imply...but who is this 'we' that we speak of? The fans, or those with more influence.

Tbh...I got it when we had Walsh, Murray, Smith, Gavin etc...back in those years...but when we had Albert...we played like a one man team. Everything went through him, and often ended in a cul de sac. It was appalling football to watch imo.

Totally agree there. Jon Lansdown started supporting city in what 1990? That was expansive football with the widest pitch in England I believe back then, with Gavin and Smith either side. Maybe it stems from that? Clutching at straws but could be one reason why Jon Lansdown got addicted to watching the City.

1 hour ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

It will be interesting to see how the desire from the top for wide players and wing play pans out this season. Is the narrowed pitch LJ's way of making his own point on this? Is he more of his own man than some would suggest?

Both our conventional wide men COD and Eliasson are left footers. So if they're playing on the right they'll be cutting in a lot. For me Paterson is someone who plays tighter. Brownhill even more so.

So whilst we have a surfeit of wide men I don't necessarily think we'll see buccaneering wing play a la Gavin, Smith, Bent, Murray.

Aside from our own personnel most opposing teams (save for those at the top of the league playing at home and open to the counterattack) won't be set up to allow it.

If this really is a preference or demand from the top it could prove a source of tension with LJ who won't be able to deliver what is required from the players at his disposal.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I agree...I also don't think LJ likes playing 'wingers'...if he were to, then I'd seriously question where that idea is coming from.

Everything he has shown since being here, is his preference to attack the 18 yard box from the front. In other words narrow.

Hence why so many fans have asked about crossing from the wings...as imo, that's what they've got used to City doing over the years.

Probably why we get so many requests to bring Albert back.

I think this is his compromise. When he says wide I think he means the wider players of his midfield, I think this signing will see the 4 2 3 1 utilised more, Famara up front with 3 players in behind him buzzing around, switching positions  to create space and movement. 

19 minutes ago, Touch_my_butter said:

Eliasson would take left wing, moving Paterson to right.

Brownhill I'd say, straight swap as he isn't a natural winger. Then Pack/Smith/Brownhill rotating in the middle.

6 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Brownhill I'd say, straight swap as he isn't a natural winger. Then Pack/Smith/Brownhill rotating in the middle.

And O'Neil if he's fit and still here. It'd be a shame to drop Brownhill, he's been very strong recently and continues to improve. Nice dilemma to have.

23 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

And i don't think Eliasson is being brought in to play as a 'winger'. I actually wonder if he was originally identified to play in the role 'Young' Bobby is playing so well in right now. 

Be interesting to see. Admittedly only from YouTube videos but it seems Eliasson's strengths are pace, bit of a trick to go, and dangerous left footed delivery into the box. Taken together wouldn't really see him behind the striker but the evidence is thin and LJ's intentions hard to discern. We might learn more at today's press conference.

4 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Be interesting to see. Admittedly only from YouTube videos but it seems Eliasson's strengths are pace, bit of a trick to go, and dangerous left footed delivery into the box. Taken together wouldn't really see him behind the striker but the evidence is thin and LJ's intentions hard to discern. We might learn more at today's press conference.

When I've watched him I've seen a player who likes to either drop into space to receive the ball or run onto balls played into space. Once he gets one-on-one with a defender he uses a trick or his pace to get past them. But the way he strikes the ball makes me think he's not a traditional "run and cross" winger; he has a hell of a left foot and I'd personally like to see that striking balls at goal as well as across it

16 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

When I've watched him I've seen a player who likes to either drop into space to receive the ball or run onto balls played into space. Once he gets one-on-one with a defender he uses a trick or his pace to get past them. But the way he strikes the ball makes me think he's not a traditional "run and cross" winger; he has a hell of a left foot and I'd personally like to see that striking balls at goal as well as across it

The new ' Walshy ' then .

:pray:

1 hour ago, BA14 RED said:

Totally agree there. Jon Lansdown started supporting city in what 1990? That was expansive football with the widest pitch in England I believe back then, with Gavin and Smith either side. Maybe it stems from that? Clutching at straws but could be one reason why Jon Lansdown got addicted to watching the City.

It's a theory! But if correct, it's another example of non-professionals meddling in the football side of things rather than sticking to the bean-counting. Tactically football is also a very different game these days to the one of 1990, so playing with out and out wingers doesn't work, in the main

Perhaps it's as well Marina isn't sticking her oar in, otherwise we'd be lining up with 2 full backs, 5 forwards and not much in between:

Fielding - Pisano, Bryan - Pack, Smith, O'Neill - Brownhill, Paterson, Diedhiou, Reid, Eliasson.

Attack! Attack! Attack, Attack, Attack! 

Just now, Port Said Red said:

A "walshy" with PACE Major..... :) 

Walshy was no slouch , but he didn't need pace did he ? 

He bulldozed and Walshy shuffled his way to goal.

I could only but admire the courage of a defensive wall as the great man prepared to take a free kick .

Even the goal posts seemed to get nervous .

What a player Walshy was and probably one of the greatest deals the club have ever done .

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I could only but admire the courage of a defensive wall as the great man prepared to take a free kick .

What a player Walshy was and probably one of the greatest deals the club have ever done .

Oh without doubt my favourite player of that era, the Walshy Shuffle and the Jimmy Mann style shooting........ just the best.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

'Found him from Stats'....that's pretty much how all top football clubs find players these days. And have been for quite a while.

A manager will say 'I want a player that is this, this and this'.... the analysts will find this type of player through stats available. They have data bases of thousands of footballers across the world. They will also speak to the scouting network.

Once a list of players is put together that match the requirements, they will scout them. Reports will come in...then the head scout and manager/coach will go and look as well.

They do this for all positions and types of players.

Scouts now have list of 'type of player required' to look for.

The one sentence that got me, was 'We’ve got stiff competition for places now in the wide areas, which this club demands'....I'd love to know whether LJ was inferring to competition for all places, not just wide, or that is 'demanded' we have wide players.

It has long been a theory of mine, that there is an 'outside' influence in the team having to play wingers. Whether that's born from one persons preference or something picked up on what the fans like, I have no idea, but it's something I've noticed over the years. We have been a club for playing 'wide players'.

Didnt SL say in an interview a year or 2 ago he wanted us to be able to have 2 players for every position- he then let slip he is a '4-4-2 person' 

4 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Did LJ not just have the pitch narrowed by a yard or two? That suggests to me that Eliasson will also be employed as a roaming menace to the opposition cutting in picking up a pass and running for a one two type pass or a triangle as we have seen on youtube clips. Scott Murray liked to cut in and shoot for goal in a similar fashion; perhaps not as agile as Eliasson and to my mind this guy will be exciting to watch and add a significant element of potency to City's play. I have a feeling he will turn out to be one of the best signings in the last 18 months. Let us hope he can stay fit.

A Norrköping supporter wrote in our swedish City forum today. He had seen all the homegames for Norrköping, E very good player that developed in Norrköping. He hoped that the progress will go on in City. Eliasson is a good player and he can be a real top player he wrote. Congrats to Bristol City.         Think this player are real interesting, I have only seen him once on telly, Göteborg-Norrköping 4--1. Eliasson was mom! He was quick fast in mind and worked hard. Think he can sattle in the way we play, he can make his defender and deliver good balls to our forwards. Looking forward and think Engvall has the potential to be a good player in our team. Coyr!!!

1 minute ago, Garland-sweden said:

A Norrköping supporter wrote in our swedish City forum today. He had seen all the homegames for Norrköping, E very good player that developed in Norrköping. He hoped that the progress will go on in City. Eliasson is a good player and he can be a real top player he wrote. Congrats to Bristol City.         Think this player are real interesting, I have only seen him once on telly, Göteborg-Norrköping 4--1. Eliasson was mom! He was quick fast in mind and worked hard. Think he can sattle in the way we play, he can make his defender and deliver good balls to our forwards. Looking forward and think Engvall has the potential to be a good player in our team. Coyr!!!

A winger for a team losing 4-1 to be MOTM? 

Must have been tearing them apart without end product from the team.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Walshy  also never played at this level! 

It's exciting to now have a few pacy and creative wide options, with Paterson, O'Dowda, Brownhill and now Eliasson on board.

Admittedly I've only seen the last of those four on YouTube, but he certainly loves a step over and a cross by the looks of things, and I think with the likes of Diehidou and Djuroc to call on up front, having a pair of pretty much any of those four on the wings will generate chances.

Nice to think he'll be up to speed fitness-wise too; might need time to settle, but Paterson arrived at a similar point last year (maybe a little later) and was on the pitch pretty much immediately.

For me, we have genuinely exciting attacking midfield options now, and so long as they all 'click' and we can keep the likes of Pack, GO'N and most importantly Smith fit to hold down the central areas, might get so decent wing play this year.

19 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

:laugh:. Get your description correct. Theres only one thatch35...you wont find me copying anyone here or anyone else. Wanna try again at trying to be clever...dear oh dear. :):)

No, you've misunderstood. You yourself must be a parody as your opinions are SO negative and ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I'm someone who likes to see my team play with 'width', in the modern game that doesn't necessarily mean out and out wingers.

Having width in the team creates space for other players. 

Its a simple concept, and the lack of it was one of the main reasons why we failed last season.

It is certainly simplistic in the modern game to think width = 2 old fashioned orthodox wingers. Teams who set up like that are a rarity these days. There are all sorts of ways of making the most of width without wingers.

It looks like LJ is going for Brownhill and Paterson playing more like old fashioned inside forwards, so overloading the opposition defence, with the full backs giving width.

For me one of the keys to Chelsea's success last season was Conte playing Pedro and Hazard in narrower positions just behind Costa. Mourinho had Hazard closer to the touchline and expected him to track back to support his full back. Conte's approach got more out of Hazard and of course his wing backs improved both defence and attack.

Hey, but this is England, 4-4-2 rools! :whistle:

On 09/08/2017 at 12:28, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's a theory! But if correct, it's another example of non-professionals meddling in the football side of things rather than sticking to the bean-counting. Tactically football is also a very different game these days to the one of 1990, so playing with out and out wingers doesn't work, in the main

Perhaps it's as well Marina isn't sticking her oar in, otherwise we'd be lining up with 2 full backs, 5 forwards and not much in between:

Fielding - Pisano, Bryan - Pack, Smith, O'Neill - Brownhill, Paterson, Diedhiou, Reid, Eliasson.

Attack! Attack! Attack, Attack, Attack! 

Taking it all the way back to the 1800s

Archived