IGNORED

Excited

ollywhyte

Is anyone else? I'm so happy with the squad, our depth and there seems to be a feel good factor at the moment!! Loved seeing Johnson bouncing to his song tonight! Let's get behind the lads each and every game, we have a young squad so that support is crucial especially when things aren't going our way which is unavoidable in such a long season!  Here's to a successful and enjoyable season!!

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

As soon as we do it against decent opposition I will be excited. 

We seem to have picked up where we left off at Brighton to me.  High press, quick one touch passing, working as a team, but creating even more chance and goals from throughout the team.  I know it was only Plymouth, but the way all the new starters tonight slotted into the system and performed their roles was outstanding to me.  Yeah, I'm very excited.  Off to Brum and plan to go to Brentford now.

The style of the play is what excited me rather than the actual scoreline tonight, quick passing with a high tempo (apart from passing along the back line). The interlink play between players was excellent with the build up for Pato's goal an example. If we can play like that in the league it should be an exciting season. 

I'm excited,

However a little cautious, No disrespect to Barnsley or Plymouth but they are not Aston villa or Boro as examples. 

However That said, if we play as we are I don't see why we should go into any games with fear, and break Into the top 12.

We have a decent squad and I am excited with how things have gone and the latest signings, there is as pointed out seems to be a real togetherness in the squad and they seem to be bonding well.

We Are looking Good!!

Onwards and upwards. 

COYR

It's a good start and you can only beat what's in front of you.  Those were two of the easiest games we'll have this season but to what extent we made them easy is hard to judge at this point.  No reason to dampen your excitement but after Villa we'll have a better idea where we are.

In terms of the squad I think we really do need a keeper and I'd like someone down the right - perhaps a loan.  If Engvall goes we'll need a striker (Reid may not be the answer as good as his start has been, Đurić is perpetually injured and Taylor may or may not make the grade).  If we sell Flint for big bucks I'd like to see us spend some on a top quality central midfielder if possible but no particular rush about that for now particularly if O'Neil shows up and Hegeler plays a bit there when Baker and Wright establish themselves as the first choice.

It's a positive beginning and I'm cautiously hopeful.

Im hugely excited. How many times in the past have we lost these sort of games? That to me shows huge progress. There is now a more focused mentality at this club, no matter who the opposition is. 

Last year I was hugely disappointed that we were knocked out in the 4th round. I'm sure lessons will be learned from that and id say the quaters, if the draw is kind is a reasonable aim.

It's a promising start. 3-1 against a team who will struggle and 5-0 against a much changed league 1 side. However many would say that this is what should be expected.

I'm also wary after last year's bright start faded into a winter of discontent. 

On the other hand I'm buoyed by the fact that reports are that we're playing well. In fact actually playing much better than last year, when despite winnning we struggled against Wigan etc.

So yes. I am cautiously excited.

11 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Is anyone else? I'm so happy with the squad, our depth and there seems to be a feel good factor at the moment!! Loved seeing Johnson bouncing to his song tonight! Let's get behind the lads each and every game, we have a young squad so that support is crucial especially when things aren't going our way which is unavoidable in such a long season!  Here's to a successful and enjoyable season!!

We still need another striker and a keeper. Two good wins against dreadful opposition. Lets see how the next 2 away games go.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We definitely have a quality team of players now. With 2 more needed, which I expect will happen soon. I just hope Johnson makes the right decisions in games. Obviously a lot easier now with better players and 11 who work their socks off. I hope in the Birmingham game we don't go too gung-ho. Their goal last season came from us pushing up and being a bit too keen to get the first. Lets keep it sensible and we know we have the players to score one or two in 90 minutes.

I heard it's about getting 3 in 30 minutes nowadays 

I am excited, a little too excited, and need to be grounded and quick.  All it takes is for City to win a few games and I start dreaming above our station.

If we manage to beat the Brummies on the weekend I'd have us nailed on for the top 2.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I am excited, a little too excited, and need to be grounded and quick.  All it takes is for City to win a few games and I start dreaming above our station.

If we manage to beat the Brummies on the weekend I'd have us nailed on for the top 2.

Wouldn't get carried away just yet - remember our excellent start in 12/13 and it ended in relegation! 

Hard to say where we'll be until around October.

I agree with caution, having not played better opposition yet and people should be fully aware that playing a high pressing game probably will lead to a few hammerings, on occasions when we don't quite get it right. 

However, I'm delighted with what I've seen so far. It's great to watch, goals from all areas and superb football. I love the idea of Eliasson being yet another string to our bow. 

LJ asked for 3 windows. Signs look good! 

This is going to be very interesting..! 

We shall see.

Thus far it's looking more like we had a good team that underperformed for a large part of last season, and has, I believe, largely improved through experience, new signings and the removal of certain negative elements.

The problem last season, and I don't suppose we'll ever know all the reasons for it, was that Johnson had a very hard time arresting a slump in form. Whatever he tried seemed to fail and the players' confidence became so fragile that even positions that should have been unassailable such as 2 and 3 goal leads were throw away. Johnson has talked about how he maybe "over-coached" during that period. Perhaps he'd have done better to leave things alone after the Cardiff defeat and see if the problem sorted it out by itself.

That he can talk about it suggests that he's identified what he sees as the problem. The test will come when we lose a couple of games in a row, which we inevitably will. Johnson has taken action by changing the coaching staff and removing disruptive elements of the playing squad. If he's done the right things and learnt from last season then a couple of defeats in a row shouldn't turn into nine and a promising season shouldn't turn into a relegation battle.

Certainly looking good so far this season but, using a phrase that LJ and JMc like to use,  the acid test is when we come up against good opposition. I don't necessarily mean teams like Middlesbrough or Villa, but teams that are good defensively and can break quickly in numbers. With our full backs pushing up we are prone to counter attacks and are left open. It happened once last night where we were caught 2-on-2 after losing the ball with everyone forward from open play, I think something similar happened against Barnsley when Bryan slipped over in the first half(?).

Playing some good football with some very talented players. Don't think I've ever been so excited about watching City play for a long time. Onwards and upwards.

Actually, I think that Birmingham Saturday will be a big test for us. Yep...I know the buzz is good at the moment and last Saturday was encouraging but I have two niggles. 1.) Against such crap opposition why didn't we really show clinical ruthlessness and build a cricket score. 2.) Game 1....deja vu... we concede in the 93rd minute.

Brum atmosphere will be hostile and psychologically they have the benefit of last season's results against us....I'll be there and I really hope that we can get behind the lads and yes, I too am very excited!

2 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

10 games and I'll see how I feel.  looks promising though. 

All of the above.

Last season turned into a massive disappointment (feckfest) , but I am feeling good thus far....Getting The Engval/Flint/Eliasson situations will help! 

• Admin

Whatever the competition so far, we have had the biggest win. I haven't checked but I'm sure City vs Plymouth wasn't the biggest mismatch last night yet we had the largest winning margin still. If we can win on Saturday I will start to truly believe we could have a decent season. 

Its the style of play that im impressed with.  The players look confident, the passing is sublime, players seem to know where there team mates are and we are closing down quickly and effectively.  That applies to the Barnsley game and the Argyle game.

If we can keep this up against Brum and Millwall, I will have high hopes for how this season will go.

Not sure about Frankie as he really hasnt been tested much yet and Dildo didnt look like 5 million pounds worth, but early days for him.

Bobby is on fire though, not just with his strikes, but with his movement and interplay.

The new right back looks decent and I am comfortable with both Joe and Maggers at LB.  Plenty of options and cover in central defence too.

Archived