IGNORED

Aden Flint - Badly Treated? (Too many merges to mention)

RaspberryRed

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I did not say Flint had asked not to play.

I said I thought that Flint had not refused to play. Pretty much the complete opposite and now it looks like I have been proven right by LJs words today.

You utter moron. :facepalm:

Post 104 on this thread. 

You did say "alleged" tho..........not sure you'd get off in a court of law. 

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Post 104 on this thread. 

You did say "alleged" tho..........not sure you'd get off in a court of law. 

I said that merely to point out to phantom that the 3 players who (at the time) had allegedly refused to play would not portray the club in a good light.

I still don't think it does and by the looks of many responses to this thread lots of City fans agree with that.

I was very clear this morning that I didn't believe AF had refused to play last night and I'm glad LJ has subsequently confirmed as much. 

By the seem of it Aden has started the ball rolling with no way back unless he eats a large portion of humble pie. Knuckle down and play for Bcfc or Bcfc takes as much as it can get. At last the tide seems to be turning in the power stakes between club and player. As i have said before players nowadays are just disposable flesh inserts, its Bcfc i support not AF.  Its a situation created by greed. Take as much at Brum offer for AD and move on. I need to work for 50 years to retire why on this earth should a guy that heads a ball for a living expect to be set up for life at 30-32. Worlds gone mad.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It doesn't. It says that the manager selected him in the starting eleven and after a 'chat' he wasn't even in the 18.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to join the dots here. 

My point was although there's a slight difference between 'I'd rather you don't play me' and 'I'm not playing', the outcome is the same. 

Agreed. Clearly not professional enough to do a job for his current employer. 

If I was playing a one off game for a pub team I'd put in a proper shift. Some of these players haven't the first clue about dedication and pride. 

Insulated, fluffy existence. 

He's no more the villain than most in modern football, I accept that. But I'll not miss him when he buggers off to play for Droopy McPoodle. 

Sounds to me like he got news he wss in a team, went and had a chat to LJ, said something along the lines of I'll play but my head isn't here anymore so can't promise a decent performance. LJ then decided it be best to leave him out for the team.

He hasn't directly refused to play but indirectly he has.

Glad this has been clarified now, in the sense it wasn't Flint who refused to play as such. Maybe like I he was surprised he was selected, although he has been for similar games in the past I think, ie never rested. But with many similar first team players benched or omitted altogether maybe he didn't need to be included at all on Tuesday, and just listed as rested in an press conference along with the others. Maybe then none of this needed to happen.

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

I think you can almost refuse to play without saying it.  If Aden goes into the LJ office and says something like "My heads a bit all over the place gaffer, but I don't mind playing" then its obvious Lee won't play him.  So he hasn't "refused" to play, he's just made LJ make the decision for him. 

Does that make sense?

But if his head genuinely was all over the place as you put it, would you prefer him to be honest and tell Lee this is the case so he can make a decision based on all the facts available or tough it out and potentially be a mistake waiting to happen?

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

Yeah, 100%. But thats my point, we're better off getting rid. My other point is if that's the case, why is everyone being so cool about it?  In a way, he is ruling himself out and in effect refusing to play. 

I myself never get the whole "his head isn't right" business.  I mean, what a dilemma to have, am I going to get £7,000 or £13,000 a week!!! Poor little sausage. 

Just because they appear trivial problems to you or me, doesn't mean they aren't an issue for the player. It still means upheaval etc even if the player is well remunerated. With Johnson talking of 1% games in having a 2 foot narrower pitch etc, a player admitting he isn't absolutely fully concentrated at the moment is something that would affect his team selection. For example, after a break up I didn't perform to 100% of my ability at work, it wasn't through me choosing not to work well, my mind was just a bit foggy/distracted.

32 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Just because they appear trivial problems to you or me, doesn't mean they aren't an issue for the player. It still means upheaval etc even if the player is well remunerated. With Johnson talking of 1% games in having a 2 foot narrower pitch etc, a player admitting he isn't absolutely fully concentrated at the moment is something that would affect his team selection. For example, after a break up I didn't perform to 100% of my ability at work, it wasn't through me choosing not to work well, my mind was just a bit foggy/distracted.

Either way, in my opinion he's refusing to play. 

He didn't fancy playing for whatever reason, didnt want to get cup tied or injured most likely so manipulated the situation to get himself out of it.

A loyal servant to this club, an almost ever present over the past 3 years....one of our most talented defenders....and he has been treated very poorly by this club.

We are trying to shuffle him out the door, not only have Birmingham unsettled him but WE have unsettled him by making it clear to EVERYONE that he is available....all be it at the right price.

Got Nathan Baker in, good business, but that has just acted as a catalyst to the City's desire to get rid....regular public messages through interviews and written articles consistently telling the world he is available.....City coulsnt make it more obvious.

But this is football? This is business? No, never have I seen such an important clog in our wheel clearly pushed, unsettled, UNDERMINED by us as a club.

He will go, there is no way back....be is not in LJs plans....but let's not drag his name through mud.

So you know for certain that it's the club that wants rid, and not Flint that wants to "look at the options" so to speak?

Paid thousands of pounds a week and treated unfairly? I'd take that over my job any day....

I like Flint, hes been a big big player for us. However he has also been an ever present in a defence at this level, which has conceded a lot of goals. Whilst he has a lot of strengths, he also has weaknesses, as many players at all levels do. Even Paul Scholes, one of the greatest midfielders of his era (a lot of fellow pro's would name him in their best 11), couldn't tackle for toffee.

We have adequate cover, numbers to cover, and Flints stock is as high now as it ever will be.

So I repeat, unless you know FOR FACT, that the club is pushing him out of the door, then your post is no different to many others on the subject - your opinion and interpretation of the situation, and nothing more.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as we all are - that's the purpose of this forum, but I think you need to make it clear if these are your opinions or whether you know then as fact.

31 minutes ago, Londoner said:

A loyal servant to this club, an almost ever present over the past 3 years....one of our most talented defenders....and he has been treated very poorly by this club.

We are trying to shuffle him out the door, not only have Birmingham unsettled him but WE have unsettled him by making it clear to EVERYONE that he is available....all be it at the right price.

Got Nathan Baker in, good business, but that has just acted as a catalyst to the City's desire to get rid....regular public messages through interviews and written articles consistently telling the world he is available.....City coulsnt make it more obvious.

But this is football? This is business? No, never have I seen such an important clog in our wheel clearly pushed, unsettled, UNDERMINED by us as a club.

He will go, there is no way back....be is not in LJs plans....but let's not drag his name through mud.

Freudian slip???

:dunno:

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

So you know for certain that it's the club that wants rid, and not Flint that wants to "look at the options" so to speak?

Paid thousands of pounds a week and treated unfairly? I'd take that over my job any day....

I like Flint, hes been a big big player for us. However he has also been an ever present in a defence at this level, which has conceded a lot of goals. Whilst he has a lot of strengths, he also has weaknesses, as many players at all levels do. Even Paul Scholes, one of the greatest midfielders of his era (a lot of fellow pro's would name him in their best 11), couldn't tackle for toffee.

We have adequate cover, numbers to cover, and Flints stock is as high now as it ever will be.

So I repeat, unless you know FOR FACT, that the club is pushing him out of the door, then your post is no different to many others on the subject - your opinion and interpretation of the situation, and nothing more.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as we all are - that's the purpose of this forum, but I think you need to make it clear if these are your opinions or whether you know then as fact.

This is my interpretation of the situation and therefore fact.

Everyone is available at the right price. At any club in world football. Nobody knows what's happened and been said behind closed doors. If Flint leaves he will have my respect along with many others . If he were to stay. Then we all move on and give him the same support. But sorry the OP is absolute nonsense.

38 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Umm sorry, wasn't it you* that posted last season, absolutely slating the bloke..?!

*apologies if it wasn't you and was someone with a similar name  

What we do know is that the club have spoken in public about this.  

LJ said Flint has had his head turned, and that there was a meeting where he and his agent said they were aware of interest and wanted to explore it.

SL has said that we don't need to sell and he wasn't going to discuss a price but then said more than £5m about ten seconds later.

JMc (and LJ later confirmed) that LJ was going to pick Flint for the cup game and after a conversation with him decided not to.

A fair criticism of the club is that none of these statements should have been made.  This sort of thing should remain private and talking to the press like that is unprofessional.  Why?

• If a move doesn't materialise some of our less thoughtful fans will have it in for the player, who is under contract and has always given 100% on the pitch.  This is damaging to the team.
  • If more offers come in speaking about the price publicly undermines the bargaining position.  SL effectively set the top price when he said that, which is utterly stupid.
  • Without knowing the full conversation we'll get more conspiracy theories about Flint "refusing to play" despite LJ confirming that wasn't the case.

All of this has been completely unnecessary, and the club should be more professional about how it conducts itself.  They'd be rightfully unhappy about players speaking to the press or a selling club they're trying to buy from doing the same, so they should conduct themselves in the same manner.

Flint is 28, and at the point in his career where he's thinking about what the most he can achieve is.  Financially, yes, and competitively.  It's reality that he'd want to explore opportunities to step up in both terms, and that's fine because he's been a good to very good player for us so there's no reason to begrudge him the chance.  The club should then seek to get the best price it can for him, all the while making sure that we don't cause problems for a player who may very well stay.  It's not even complicated.

Archived