IGNORED

Bryan Knock?

Port Said Red

So according to the main site, there is some doubt over Bryan's fitness for Saturday. This is not a "he's on his way thread" though, I was wondering who people think would be the better replacement. Maggers or Kelly seem to be the options, Golbourne doesn't appear to be in the Managers plans, so I think it's down to those two.

I keep seeing people saying how impressed they are with Kelly, do those same people think he is ready to start?

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I think away from home, Magnússon should start there. 

Kelly looks impressive on the small amount of minutes I've seen him play, but feel Magnússon would make us a bit more solid. 

I'd rather have Golbourne out there than both though. 

I had almost forgotten Golbourne when I wrote the OP, he does seem to be out in the cold, I would be very surprised if he doesn't move on this window. I like him, he's reliable, but he's not going to move us forward.

I know you said it's not a Bryan's going thread and I appreciate that. However, when the club say a player has a knock and can't play, it often means something else. In Joe's case it is probably a combination of not letting Birmingham have a close up view of how well he's playing with respect to another offer coming in, which we don't want, or, should he actually be close to signing for them, as is Flint, his mind may not be 100% focussed on beating his new employers. Or, he may just be injured. 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So according to the main site, there is some doubt over Bryan's fitness for Saturday. This is not a "he's on his way thread" though, I was wondering who people think would be the better replacement. Maggers or Kelly seem to be the options, Golbourne doesn't appear to be in the Managers plans, so I think it's down to those two.

I keep seeing people saying how impressed they are with Kelly, do those same people think he is ready to start?

Surely it's down to who's doesn't refuse?

I'd love to see Kelly but overall Mags has more experience. Hope that Joe makes it because Birmingham may want to prove a point and we need our best at their best to overturn a bad run at their place..

1 minute ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I know you said it's not a Bryan's going thread and I appreciate that. However, when the club say a player has a knock and can't play, it often means something else. In Joe's case it is probably a combination of not letting Birmingham have a close up view of how well he's playing with respect to another offer coming in, which we don't want, or, should he actually be close to signing for them, as is Flint, his mind may not be 100% focussed on beating his new employers. Or, he may just be injured. 

If Joe leaves, and I think that's a huge if, there is no way he's going anywhere than up the scale somewhere, that is not Birmingham in my opinion.

Back on topic :) 60/450 LJ said and he has 2 days to recover, I think he will play personally.  

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If Joe leaves, and I think that's a huge if, there is no way he's going anywhere than up the scale somewhere, that is not Birmingham in my opinion.

Back on topic :) 60/450 LJ said and he has 2 days to recover, I think he will play personally.  

60/450? Dont like those odds!

• Admin
50 minutes ago, Reg Hill said:

Joe has been seen at David Lloyd a couple of times this week.  Usually a sign that an injury needs rest from training and some rest/ rehab in the pool etc.

Glad to hear - was hoping it wasn't a deal with Brum not to play against them before signing him too !

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Opened this thinking 'Who the hell is Bryan Knock!!?'

Go back 3 with Wright Hegeler Baker. WB Pisano and O'Dowda. Brownhill Pack Smith midfield and Reid and Diedhiou up front. If it's only for one game I don't see why it couldn't work. Just weighing up whether better to stay back 4 but have Mags who won't offer the same attacking play from LB or keeping a similar attack but not having the extra midfielder. 

Personally would keep it as it was, with Kelly coming in for Bryan if he is out. Never been a fan of making a few changes  when one is all that is needed. Especially with our form moving into this game. The fullbacks are a big part of how we have played during the first two games. I would also say Kelly is more like Bryan than Magnússon is. My personal opinion is that Magnússon is as much as a fullback as Derick Williams was, a stop gap at best. I would also say that this game would be less of a pressure game potentially than one later in the season for Kelly to make his debut. COYR 

Saw Kelly against Manor Farm and briefly against Plymouth (can't remember if he played against Yeovil?!). I think he looks excellent but at Birmingham I would probably go with Mags if Bryan not fit. He looked solid enough on Tuesday and a tough place for Kelly to make league debut. 

Bryan can't go yet. I think he is huge for us this season and don't think we have a replacement there. 

Golbourne played for under 23s on Monday instead of Kelly (rather than be in tuesdays match day squad). Surely that means his time is up with us. Good guy and comes across as decent pro, just not good enough for us anymore. Would love to see him get a good league one club and go with the clubs best wishes 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Go back 3 with Wright Hegeler Baker. WB Pisano and O'Dowda. Brownhill Pack Smith midfield and Reid and Diedhiou up front. If it's only for one game I don't see why it couldn't work. Just weighing up whether better to stay back 4 but have Mags who won't offer the same attacking play from LB or keeping a similar attack but not having the extra midfielder. 

No, Joe.  We've gone 442 all pre-season.

Baker has played LB, but not suggesting that.

Magnússon for me, although I didn't think he played that great on Tuesday.  Personally, I think Joe will be fit though.  I was impressed by Kelly first time I saw him v Brislington, but would prefer to not expose him to a tough away game yet, he's only played a few minutes of first team football.  Would be up against decent pedigree Championship midfielders in David Davis, or Maghoma (if they swap) based on last Saturday's line-up.  Maghoma is a player who I think would fit in here.

Be interesting to see how our chosen central defensive partnership deal with Adams and Donaldson.  

Big decisions for LJ

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, Joe.  We've gone 442 all pre-season.

Baker has played LB, but not suggesting that.

Magnússon for me, although I didn't think he played that great on Tuesday.  Personally, I think Joe will be fit though.  I was impressed by Kelly first time I saw him v Brislington, but would prefer to not expose him to a tough away game yet, he's only played a few minutes of first team football.  Would be up against decent pedigree Championship midfielders in David Davis, or Maghoma (if they swap) based on last Saturday's line-up.  Maghoma is a player who I think would fit in here.

Be interesting to see how our chosen central defensive partnership deal with Adams and Donaldson.  

Big decisions for LJ

Indeed we have but it's a narrow 442 that gets most the width from the fullbacks. 532 is similar you just lose a midfielder and gain a CB(who could also probably step forward a bit in a back 3). I think it would be seamless for one game. Also I think it would be naive to think we haven't worked on it somewhat in training. 

If Joe is fit then no problems but if not I'm not sure Mags is up to the task of what LJ wants in a fullback. I think it would be more of a style change having him there than it would back 3 for me. To be honest I'd probably go Kelly over Mags in a 442. Didn't do anything wrong on Tuesday but even against poor opposition didn't look to get forward at all really. Think it shows how vital Joe really is. 

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Indeed we have but it's a narrow 442 that gets most the width from the fullbacks. 532 is similar you just lose a midfielder and gain a CB(who could also probably step forward a bit in a back 3). I think it would be seamless for one game. Also I think it would be naive to think we haven't worked on it somewhat in training. 

If Joe is fit then no problems but if not I'm not sure Mags is up to the task of what LJ wants in a fullback. I think it would be more of a style change having him there than it would back 3 for me. To be honest I'd probably go Kelly over Mags in a 442. Didn't do anything wrong on Tuesday but even against poor opposition didn't look to get forward at all really. Think it shows how vital Joe really is. 

532 or 352?  I think both of these formations are very different to 442...but I'm sure you know me by now to know I'm not big on formations being a factor in whether it's attacking or not, but I don't think that's what we are talking about in this topic.

What you suggest sounds so simple!  Seamless?  Not convinced.  Joe Bryan (possibly Kelly) is our only natural wingback, and he's the player we are missing to accommodate your one-off formation.  I'm sure we've worked on different 'systems and styles' in training, but we haven't seen it in pre-season, or the two games so far.

I don't think we will want to be so expansive away from home this Saturday, so expect our full-backs to be a little more reigned in, so that suits Magnússon and the way I'm led to believe he's played in that position nationally.

But what do I know?

I do know that predicted LJ's line-up for the game v Barnsley - which is once more than I achieved all last season!  :P

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

532 or 352?  I think both of these formations are very different to 442...but I'm sure you know me by now to know I'm not big on formations being a factor in whether it's attacking or not, but I don't think that's what we are talking about in this topic.

What you suggest sounds so simple!  Seamless?  Not convinced.  Joe Bryan (possibly Kelly) is our only natural wingback, and he's the player we are missing to accommodate your one-off formation.  I'm sure we've worked on different 'systems and styles' in training, but we haven't seen it in pre-season, or the two games so far.

I don't think we will want to be so expansive away from home this Saturday, so expect our full-backs to be a little more reigned in, so that suits Magnússon and the way I'm led to believe he's played in that position nationally.

But what do I know?

I do know that predicted LJ's line-up for the game v Barnsley - which is once more than I achieved all last season!  :P

352 and 523 are the same to me. You have wingers or wingbacks that need to do a lot of running and 3 CBs. 3 central midfielders and 2 strikers. As for who would play wingback it would be Callum O'Dowda. Not a natural defender but can do a job and would have Baker and Wright(the central organiser) helping him out. He has the natural feel for playing out wide and has the work rate to pull it off in a one off game imo. Could even start Diedhiou on his own if you wanted the extra central midfield player like we do in the 442. It still comes down to Mags not really for me fitting into that wingback type role in a 4. If Joe was to miss May just have to throw kelly into it. Rough environment to do that in but a more natural forward player by the looks of him. 

Archived