IGNORED

City Spending 149% of Turnover on Staff

Touch_my_butter

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Amounts received from the sale of players are almost always NOT recognised as turnover for UK football clubs. Players' contracts are recognised on the balance sheet as intangible assets (at the amount paid when the player was bought) and are amortised over the life of the contract. When a player is sold, the difference between the amount received (or receivable) and the net book value at the point of sale is recognised within 'profit or loss on the sale of fixed assets / intangible assets', which is not part of the revenue line in company accounts. For the same reason, a team can buy a player for (say) £2 million on a four year contract, sell the player after three years for £1 million, and the correct accounting treatment would be to recognise a profit on the sale of £0.5 million. 

You seem to have a very knowledgeable and educated grasp of the subject with your post giving me the impression you are very confident in your opinion. 

Do you mind if ask what your level of involvement is within the industry? 

Hope this doesn't come across as negative in any way as I a genuinely respect your opinion and input.

4 hours ago, City1984 said:

You seem to have a very knowledgeable and educated grasp of the subject with your post giving me the impression you are very confident in your opinion. 

Do you mind if ask what your level of involvement is within the industry? 

Hope this doesn't come across as negative in any way as I a genuinely respect your opinion and input.

He's right. You do seem to know your onions when most here only know apples. 

Enjoyed reading your stuff.  Thanks

16 hours ago, SARJ said:

Speculate to accumulate.

Went to the Emirate Cup recently. The staff Arsenal have at their many bars inside the ground is unbelievable. But the quick and friendly service ensures you buy far more.

At half time there were so many staff we were able to get 2 pints each easy, plus snacks. At Ashton Gate you'd be queuing for like 10mins.

Similar story when I used to work at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Loads of staff meant more beer was sold. Quick service, quick delivery. We had a team of 8 in my area who did nothing but pour pints all day!

Good post - totally agree.

The opposite example would be why there are not restaurants tagged onto wards in NHS hospitals.

tfj

8 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Absolutely. The stadium is used in one form or another pretty much every day of the week. 

I know an ex-employee of the club and he previously told me that although the football and rugby bring in good incomes, the real big earner is the conferencing facilities. 

I'm led to belive that AG is now the best conference facility in the SW and booked up solidly. The cash must be rolling in thick and fast from that now. 

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Some fair points and his investment in the infrastructure side of things is most welcome.  I think the loss limit is £7m last time I checked to his investment on the playing side is 'capped' in that respect. 

I wouldn't agree that SL has been 'ahead of the game' in terms of stadium/training ground investment. On the contrary he's been at the helm for 15 years and those things have only just been delivered where other clubs have long secured new facilities and passed us to the Premier League. Still, glad it's finally arrived and here's hoping we reap the benefits shortly!

15 years yes, 4 or which we tried to get ashton vale 3 of which we redevloped Ashton gate and 6 of which Lansdown was no where near a billionaire

Gotta say that stat- not disputing it just a bit surprised- about conferencing being the biggest earner surprises me a bit.

By conferencing facilities, I assume trade shows, expos that sort of thing.

I suppose an interesting q may then be about how is it split?

E.g. is there a formula of x percent per club dependent on match day attendance? Or is the formula totally different.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gotta say that stat- not disputing it just a bit surprised- about conferencing being the biggest earner surprises me a bit.

By conferencing facilities, I assume trade shows, expos that sort of thing.

I suppose an interesting q may then be about how is it split?

E.g. is there a formula of x percent per club dependent on match day attendance? Or is the formula totally different.

This is where I get confused about the relationship both City and the rugby have with Bristol Sport.

Who is the beneficiary of this revenue?

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

This is where I get confused about the relationship both City and the rugby have with Bristol Sport.

Who is the beneficiary of this revenue?

All clubs who use ashton gate I suppose, I'm sure any revenue made for the conference facilities pays for the stadium upkeep. and profit is used for improvements 

What a difference 5 days can make ! I'm  delighted that you are coming to your senses and finally seeing the many positives  not just your perceived negatives .

Who knows- you might even end up thinking that the Manager is not all bad?

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Some fair points and his investment in the infrastructure side of things is most welcome.  I think the loss limit is £7m last time I checked to his investment on the playing side is 'capped' in that respect. 

I wouldn't agree that SL has been 'ahead of the game' in terms of stadium/training ground investment. On the contrary he's been at the helm for 15 years and those things have only just been delivered where other clubs have long secured new facilities and passed us to the Premier League. Still, glad it's finally arrived and here's hoping we reap the benefits shortly!

On 8/5/2017 at 00:09, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite possibly one of the most misguided, shite posts ever to grace OTIB. 

I will say this about the Lansdowns, they will safeguard our existence but my goodness we are going nowhere fast under their rule.

Oh dear, you've had a bit of a 'mare there @Marina's Rolls Royce !

Unsurprisingly I've never had an issue with the money spent on the stadium, training facilities and academy. In fact I've often gone out of my way to single out those things for particular praise. 

It's SL's judgement on the playing side that I am less than impressed with. And what on earth is the issue with "we are going nowhere fast under their rule" comment? True, so far, ain't it? And what I've seen over the past couple of years doesn't suggest an accelerated path to the Premier League but maybe others have seen something different.

10 hours ago, North London Red said:

Amounts received from the sale of players are almost always NOT recognised as turnover for UK football clubs. Players' contracts are recognised on the balance sheet as intangible assets (at the amount paid when the player was bought) and are amortised over the life of the contract. When a player is sold, the difference between the amount received (or receivable) and the net book value at the point of sale is recognised within 'profit or loss on the sale of fixed assets / intangible assets', which is not part of the revenue line in company accounts. For the same reason, a team can buy a player for (say) £2 million on a four year contract, sell the player after three years for £1 million, and the correct accounting treatment would be to recognise a profit on the sale of £0.5 million. 

Fascinating - thanks

so young players bought for high fees with low wages would keep "wages as % of turnover" down compared to free agents on high wages. 

Or in other words it's meaningless

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

All clubs who use ashton gate I suppose, I'm sure any revenue made for the conference facilities pays for the stadium upkeep. and profit is used for improvements 

I imagine/believe, income generated through events outside of match days would all go through Ashton Gate Ltd which is to some extent autonomous from the sporting clubs. Profits from this are no doubt filtered through the maze of companies owned by the Lansdown family and back into the sporting clubs.

When you see what Ashton Gate now has to offer and can provide outside of the normal sporting events, you can see why SL felt it imperative for the future of both clubs......

http://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/

Archived