IGNORED

Bristol Rugby - consequences for City?

Dastardly and Muttley

So, Lansdown is splashing the cash. Bristol will make Charles Piutau the highest paid rugby player in England at £1million per season from August 2018.

This is in addition to £650000 already spent on Luatua this season.

The rugby can't be anywhere near self sufficient, so is this money impacting on Steve's ability to fund City too? Where does his ambition truly lie? Or does he have enough money to bankroll both clubs?

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

So, Lansdown is splashing the cash. Bristol will make Charles Piutau the highest paid rugby player in England at £1million per season from August 2018.

This is in addition to £650000 already spent on Luatua this season.

The rugby can't be anywhere near self sufficient, so is this money impacting on Steve's ability to fund City too? Where does his ambition truly lie? Or does he have enough money to bankroll both clubs?

I have to say this is a rather stupid post to be honest,

Of course lansdown can fund both, he's a billionaire, Piutau is on 20k a week, alot for rugby, about average for a FL Championship star player 

And his ambition lay's with sport in Bristol, he wants both City and the Rugby team to be in the top flight, 

Neither sport is self-sufficient.  He is a billionaire.

Truth is he's learned the lesson of Bristol's last promotion when we didn't invest in playing staff and were left with the dregs (due mostly to the play offs).  Also, he made a lot of noise at the time about poor season ticket sales - this will hopefully boost those in advance of the Premiership.  A successful rugby side would gain big crowds paying decent money.   I imagine he managed to talk to a lot of the other owners during last season and decided that if he was going to make something of the Rugby team it had to be done like this rather than a more piecemeal approach.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Of course lansdown can fund both, he's a billionaire, Piutau is on 20k a week, alot for rugby, about average for a FL Championship star player 

And his ambition lay's with sport in Bristol, he wants both City and the Rugby team to be in the top flight, 

This.

Even real greats like Dan Carter earn top end Champ wages, and I don't mean John Terry either.

SL wants glory and the easiest way to get it is via the rugby club. Doesn't mean he will turn his back on football and there is a salary cap in the Prem anyway so he cant go nuts.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

It's quite something if that's true and we (as a second division Rugby club) are paying someone the most in the entire country. It is significant.

You're right though, It clearly hasn't impacted his drive/funding for the football club as show by our expenditure this summer. 

By the time Piutau comes, it will be self sufficient imo, Bristol should be looking to push for top 6 in the Premiership on their return with the signings being made and so the crowds will be over 20k every week which will pay for players wages etc.

As others have said earlier Piutua will only be on 20k a week, so less than Tomlin was on, rugby rules state that we must only have two 'designated players' for the premiership who are allowed to be bought outside of the salary cap, this means that the rest of the squad will be on less than 10k a week, probably much in line with the average wage for City.

59 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's quite something if that's true and we (as a second division Rugby club) are paying someone the most in the entire country. It is significant.

You're right though, It clearly hasn't impacted his drive/funding for the football club as show by our expenditure this summer. 

Actually...entire World!...

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Neither sport is self-sufficient.  He is a billionaire.

Truth is he's learned the lesson of Bristol's last promotion when we didn't invest in playing staff and were left with the dregs (due mostly to the play offs).  Also, he made a lot of noise at the time about poor season ticket sales - this will hopefully boost those in advance of the Premiership.  A successful rugby side would gain big crowds paying decent money.   I imagine he managed to talk to a lot of the other owners during last season and decided that if he was going to make something of the Rugby team it had to be done like this rather than a more piecemeal approach.

Billionaires don't become or stay billionaires continually sustaining unsustainable businesses.

Billionaires don't like open ended liability and Steve Lansdown will not be throwing good money after bad without some expectation of how it's going to pan out.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Billionaires don't become or stay billionaires continually sustaining unsustainable businesses.

Billionaires don't like open ended liability and Steve Lansdown will not be throwing good money after bad without some expectation of how it's going to pan out.

It's what he's done with us.    We've constantly been spending beyond our means.  He expects the Rugby team to get up, stay up, qualify for Champions Cup, qualify for Premiership play offs, win premiership play offs, win Champions League in roughly that order.  5 years.  It's been done by clubs owned by less wealthy men...

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's what he's done with us.    We've constantly been spending beyond our means.  He expects the Rugby team to get up, stay up, qualify for Champions Cup, qualify for Premiership play offs, win premiership play offs, win Champions League in roughly that order.  5 years.  It's been done by clubs owned by less wealthy men...

Yes he has but that's my point- he's not going to do it forever.

I believe that Steve Lansdown's ambition is for both City and Bris to be filling Ashton Gate every time we play at home. The wages for Rugby players are much lower than football. I think the salary cap in the Premiership is around £7.5 million with allowance for two other players outside that limit.

SL may have made mistakes running City in the past, but I don't think anyone can doubt his dreams for sport in Bristol to be among the big names in England. I think he has learned a lot in the last three years and I'm looking forward to some real progress upwards for both clubs in the coming two/three years. From a lifelong pessimist, that has to be a personality change.

19 minutes ago, redsontour said:

Actually...entire World!...

I've taken this from the New Zealand Herald, further up the page it mentions what you say, he will earn 1.8 NZ dollars a year, and you can see why the money is important to the likes of him and Luatua!

Piutau shocked NZR six months out from the World Cup when he rejected a two-year contract extension, and at just 23 decided to give up an international career that everyone could see would be potentially long and significant given his obvious ability as an outside back.

NZR criticised his decision, but less well known was that Piutau is one of 10 children and happened to be living in the garage of the family home. The same garage he had shared with four of his brothers.

As much as his heart wanted to stay in New Zealand and put himself first, his head knew how much he'd be able to provide if he was earning $1 million a year.

What he's potentially proven is that test experience is not necessarily the key driver of a player's potential value to European clubs and those New Zealanders who head offshore at a young age, can reap the most stunning rewards.

When he gets to Bristol he'll hook up with his former Blues and All Blacks teammate, Steven Luatua, who also opted to sacrifice his test ambitions to be a better provider.

He was a certainty to be recalled to the test squad this year after consistently being the player he'd been asked to be.

But he's reportedly earning $1.2 million a year and as the youngest of five children, he told the New Zealand Herald earlier this year why he had made his decision to give up on his All Blacks dream at just 25.

"I can secure the future for my family," he said. "That's a big pull, to give back. My family don't expect much. They know I do what I do and that I give back when I can, but in this way I can actually make a difference.

"It was my siblings as well, they got the short stick here and there. I grew up with my mum and dad not favouring me, but ... ' here, let's take Steven to this and that'. Now that I'm older I can see that and they've been a big part of that."

Also heading to Europe at 25 is Malakai Fekitoa, who will join French giants Toulon in October. Fekitoa is one of 15 children and is thought to have been offered about $600,000 more to play in France than to stay in New Zealand.

His father died many years ago and Fekitoa has spoken before at the responsibility he feels to provide for his mother and family, sending money home every month.

The danger longer term is that in time, it could be that more New Zealand players, regardless of their background, start to see the accumulation of wealth as the definition of career success.

It's easy to see that happening with Piutau, if he can avoid injury, potentially on track to enjoy career earnings in excess of $10 million before he turns 30.

That's a staggering statistic and one that will strike a chord with many Auckland teenagers currently coming through First XV rugby, their eyes fixed on the prize of making the professional ranks.

It is also, of more concern to NZR, the sort of number that may strike a chord with the likes of the supremely talented Ioane boys, Akira and Rieko, who could both play for the All Blacks at the next World Cup, establish themselves as global superstars, and still only be, respectively, 24 and 22.

Often wonder when Steve will come to the point where he wont want to fund it any more.  He can't surely carry on chucking that kind of money at it forever, otherwise he wont be a billionaire any more.  On the other hand, surely better spending it on city than giving it to hmrc.

Perhaps we will be a big enough club one day to be self funding, but i cant see that happening as the bigger we get, the more we will have to spend.

Rugby is going to cost him peanuts compared with what he has pumped into city.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'm pretty sure roman abamovich doesn't make a profit at Chelsea, it's like you collecting stamps, to them it's just a hobby albeit a very expensive one, Steve Lansdown has more money than any man could spend in 10 lifetimes, he is not looking for a return and if he is I think he will ultimately be disappointed. he knows that's unlikely so  he spends his money on something that gives him pleasure and why not.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes he has but that's my point- he's not going to do it forever.

Not but his current yearly dividend probably covers all losses at the moment.

43 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Not but his current yearly dividend probably covers all losses at the moment.

I don't think people realise how much money Lansdown actually has. Dividends from his various share ownerships and interest returns alone would make your head explode. The guy can more than afford to fork out for all Bristol clubs 50 times over.

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

Indeed, and the likes of Saracens could only dream of getting the sort of gates Bristol would if they started to dominate the English game. Definitely sustainable if they get success.

6 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Or does he have enough money to bankroll both clubs?

He is in the top 1000 richest people on the planet.  Let that sink it.  He has a mind boggling about of cash stashed under the mattress.

If he is worth 1.8b.  1% of his wealth is 18million.

Equate that roughly to us mere mortals.

1% of a combined annual house income of 80 grand is 800

So for him to effectively to run City its the equivalent of half a mortgage payment.

Its like him buying a season ticket.

(Disclaimer - I was C- at maths at school)

Problem is that a lot of his capital is still tied up in Hargreaves Lansdown and also, they have just announced that this years dividend is being cut by around 10p per share as the FCA want them to bolster their reserves (probably as they are going to apply for a banking licence).

I think he holds about 100 million shares which would account for £1.35 billion of his wealth and his dividend is being cut by £10 million this year if my maths are right.

52 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Problem is that a lot of his capital is still tied up in Hargreaves Lansdown and also, they have just announced that this years dividend is being cut by around 10p per share as the FCA want them to bolster their reserves (probably as they are going to apply for a banking licence).

I think he holds about 100 million shares which would account for £1.35 billion of his wealth and his dividend is being cut by £10 million this year if my maths are right.

Gutted for him !

Archived