IGNORED

Alec Eisenträger

Port Said Red

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/alec-eisentrager-1927-2017/

Had the pleasure of meeting this lovely man many times through my work, I was never given the pleasure of seeing him play, but he was my dads favourite all time City player and that was enough for me. Imagine the personal difficulties he must have overcome to win over the City crowd after the war.......

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Had the pleasure of meeting this lovely man many times through my work, I was never given the pleasure of seeing him play, but he was my dads favourite all time City player and that was enough for me. Imagine the personal difficulties he must have overcome to win over the City crowd after the war.......

He was also my fathers favourite player...and like you, I got to meet him and sign his page in the City greats book. My father was delighted. He will be saddened to hear of this loss. He was a lovely Gentleman and seemed overwhelmed with the interest and reception he received. RIP Alec.

This life ends for all of us but that doesn't make it any easier to accept death.

I first saw Alec playing in my first full year as a City supporter in 1950-5. It was his first year in the first team. He excited me with his very close ball control and his amazing leaps to get the ball in the air from much taller opponents. Joe Bryan is similar in that espect.

In early 1956, as a reader of the Eagle comic, I went on two coaching sessions. One, a series of weekly ones with Harry Bamford at Monks Park school and the other for one evening at the Victoria Rooms with Alec and Rovers player,Josser Watling. They both made it interesting and fun for us. At the end of the evening several of us City fans, asked Alec if he would take our Autograph Books and get all the City players to sign. This he did very willingly and a week or so later, the book arrived back in the post with the whole squads autographs - the promotion team from 1954-55 in it's entirety, except for Arthur Milton who had retired at the end of the promotion season. I still have the book, a very treasured possession.  

As an aside, among my favourite goalkeepers,was Man City's Bert Trautmann who also proved to be a very big favourite with the Maine Road faithful.

When one considers that both Alec and Bert signed for their respective clubs just four years after the end of the Second World War, it is a measure of their personalities that I never heard anyone at Ashton Gate say anything derogatory about Alec's nationality or his service in the War. He got nicknamed by some as "Gerry" but with affection rather than anything else.

246 games and 47 goals, for me makes Alec Eisentrager a City great and my condolences to his family. Danke Schoen Alois.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

This life ends for all of us but that doesn't make it any easier to accept death.

I first saw Alec playing in my first full year as a City supporter in 1950-5. It was his first year in the first team. He excited me with his very close ball control and his amazing leaps to get the ball in the air from much taller opponents. Joe Bryan is similar in that espect.

In early 1956, as a reader of the Eagle comic, I went on two coaching sessions. One, a series of weekly ones with Harry Bamford at Monks Park school and the other for one evening at the Victoria Rooms with Alec and Rovers player,Josser Watling. They both made it interesting and fun for us. At the end of the evening several of us City fans, asked Alec if he would take our Autograph Books and get all the City players to sign. This he did very willingly and a week or so later, the book arrived back in the post with the whole squads autographs - the promotion team from 1954-55 in it's entirety, except for Arthur Milton who had retired at the end of the promotion season.   

As an aside, among my favourite goalkeepers,was Man City's Bert Trautmann who also proved to be a very big favourite with the Maine Road faithful.

When one considers that both Alec and Bert signed for their respective clubs just four years after the end of the Second World War, it is a measure of their personalities that I never heard anyone at Ashton Gate say anything derogatory about Alec's nationality or his service in the War. He got nicknamed by some as "Gerry" but with affection rather than anything else.

229 games and 47 goals, for me makes Alec Eisentrager a City great and my condolences to his family. Danke Schoen Alois.

My dad said he was the first player he saw who could successfully execute the "bicycle kick"  something that really excited the crowd.

Alec was a lovely chap who I first met whilst starting work for Cam Gears in Clevedon...He was training me on a filthy machine when he asked me if I liked football and I said that I was a big City fan and he told me he used to play for the City and I laughed because being just 17 I thought he was winding me up but someone else confirmed that he did. He was a pleasure to know then and a few years ago I seen him walking around the pitch on a match day and I shouted over "Alec you old git" he looked over and smiled as if to say see I told you. I have an Aunty who used to work with the City supporters club and she said Alec asked her out but politely apologised when her hubby turned up....He was always a nice bloke to know back then and sad to learn of his death and send my sad regards to his family and friends 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

RIP.

tfj

The club's tribute doesn't do justice to the remarkable life of this gentle man.

Leaving aside the inaccuracies (he wasn't shipped over to Trowbridge), debuting as a City player in 1949 made Alois the first German to play as a professional in England (pre-dating Trautmann).

He was the last surviving member of our 54/55 Champion team.

He was versatile - playing across our front line - over 200 appearances for the City, skillful, two footed, brave, good in the air despite not being tall. Noted for his bicycle kick as others have mentioned - a rare skill in the 50's. In later years he was diagnosed with Dementia and, sadly, could remember little of a fine footballing career at Ashton Gate.

Condolences to his family on this sad day.

A childhood hero of mine from the age of 12 when my dad first starting taking me to watch the city in 1952. A small man with twinkling feet who could dribble with the ball, beat the full back and cross it into the path or onto the head of the likes of Johnny Atyeo, Arnie Rodgers etc. Part of the same era as Jack Boxley who died recently and operated on the other wing. RIP.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

RIP Alec. I wish I had met you.

I never saw you play for City, but I remember seeing you playing five-a-side (with your son) at Clevedon Sports Centre, whilst we were waiting for our game.

That was about thirty years ago, when you were about sixty!!!

Whilst you couldn't run, it was obvious that you still had the touch of a real footballer.

Far more than I ever had.

RIP Alec

Sad news, I first started watching City in the 1955-56 season when I was 6. Even better 15 years latter I even played with the great man at Clevedon Town. Alex must have been in his mid 40's, still had a lovely touch. He gave me lots of encouragement and advise. A real gentleman and a City fan. God bless Alex RIP.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Never saw him play but got to know him over a number of years when his sons (Iain and Andy) played for Weston, was always a real gentleman and was well respected wherever he went

RIP

Played with Ian....the first thing I asked him was he related.

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

RIP Alec. I wish I had met you.

Me too.  Well before my time, but a name instantly known.  RIP.

Archived