IGNORED

Baker Hegler or Wright against Birmingham ?

OCRed

Baker and Wright.  Hegeler on the bench.  He's a good player but his positioning as a defender isn't great, that will be more important than bringing the ball out with class away from home against a side that will be better than Barnsley and Plymouth.

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can't see Bailey Wright being dropped, I would imagine it will be Baker away from home and against Clayton Donaldson.

Ha! Like last time 'Bakes' went there to mark ol' Clayton. Sept the something, Clayton hadn't hit a barn door by that point. Come 4.45 and he'd bagged a hat-trick. People will tell me 'Bakes' has learnt since then, didn't get carded under Johnson, played 35 times last season to gain Champ experience, grown an ever more impressive beard since he was last with us etc etc. Well, let's see (apart from the last point - that's undeniable). I agree that he's a better bet than 'Hegs' for 'tough' away games, but I'm just not sure he's good enough full stop. I'm happy to be proved wrong (over the remaining 45 games, please - no snidey posts tomorrow at 5pm when we've kept a clean sheet).

2 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Ha! Like last time 'Bakes' went there to mark ol' Clayton. Sep the something, Clayton hadn't hit a barn door by that point. Come 4.45 and he'd bagged a hat-trick. People will tell me 'Bakes' has learnt since then, didn't get carded under Johnson, played 35 times last season to gain Champ experience, grown an ever more impressive beard since he was last with us etc etc. Well, let's see (apart from the last point - that's undeniable). I agree that he's a better bet than 'Hegs' for 'tough' away games, but I'm just not sure he's good enough full stop. I'm happy to be proved wrong (over the remaining 45 games, please - no snidey posts tomorrow at 5pm when we've kept a clean sheet).

Don't remind me of that day! Locked my car key in the car, cost me £90 and then got to the ground 10 mins into kick off to watch that rubbish. 

Pisano wright baker mags 

the back 4 for me 2 Moro unless Bryan 100% fit then him for mags , Bham not that great on paper but old plastic bag face arry will have them up for this , he don't like lee or Gary for whatever reason , would love to carry on our early 1st half form and b 4 up at half time to shut up them whining brummie bar stewards COYR

26 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Ha! Like last time 'Bakes' went there to mark ol' Clayton. Sept the something, Clayton hadn't hit a barn door by that point. Come 4.45 and he'd bagged a hat-trick. People will tell me 'Bakes' has learnt since then, didn't get carded under Johnson, played 35 times last season to gain Champ experience, grown an ever more impressive beard since he was last with us etc etc. Well, let's see (apart from the last point - that's undeniable). I agree that he's a better bet than 'Hegs' for 'tough' away games, but I'm just not sure he's good enough full stop. I'm happy to be proved wrong (over the remaining 45 games, please - no snidey posts tomorrow at 5pm when we've kept a clean sheet).

Whereas last October he marked him out of the game (and Donaldson didn't score) in a Brum Derby...

Baker played in the home game in April, too (a 1-0 win) but Donaldson was injured then though..

Wright will start, he's captain....and rested in midweek.

Baker - pros: the more dominant centre back to Jens. Cons: only had 80 minutes and cramped up, would he last 90.

Hegeler - pros: building a nice partnership with Wright.  Can bring the ball out.  Cons: less likely to dominate Donaldson.

I think we have a bit of a dilemma against a Donaldson / Adams partnership.  Both are awkward customers in their own way, and the way to stop them is to stop the supply.  Their midfield (r to l) might be Davis, NDoye, Gardner and Mghoma is decent enough without being anything to be fearful of.  All about more than half of our players coming out on top of their opponents.  We will learn a lot from this type of game

Same starting eleven as Barnsley, I hope.

Difference will be a much stronger bench this weekeed (as long as Eliasson gets his clearance), helped by some decent performance midweek from those who'll be on it.

Who to put at the back will certainly give LJ some headaches moving forward, but the good kind, I think.

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

He's no John MacPhail mind. 

2 hours ago, Cider Queen said:

Depends if Baker is fit.. Hobbled off on Tuesday. 

Wright and Baker/Hegeler for me.. Although I would say Hegeler would be unlucky to be dropped 

This is it.   I think Baker would have started but having been taken off on Tuesday when the game was a stroll I'd be surprised if he played.  It's too much of a risk.  Perhaps Flint will play....

Archived