IGNORED

Striker

Buster

30 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I'm not sure that we need a new striker as such, but we do need proof that Đurić and Taylor can also deliver at this level and not be perennially injured.

how do we get proof? they will need game time for a start, they had a bit last season; Taylor seems to like running around a lot, so he should fit in but does he even know where the barn door is in this div let alone able hit it a few times; Đurić seems more of a target man and I think even when fit will be a standby for our 5million pound man.

Then there`s Engvall fit and scoring a few but loaned to a Swedish club...strange. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@WestonRobinThe question is how much would he cost this year surely 

I don't believe he cost Swansea anything.

He may prove to be a one off, who knows? I can't say I know enough about either lower league football, foreign football (at a lesser level) or youth football but there must surely be more starlets out there for a loan or natural finishers for a reasonable price.

Flint hasn't gone yet but the rumours suggest he would go for around £5M...that would mean our net spent this summer is around £1M (basing that on Baker costing £2m, Eliasson costing £2M and selling Tomlin for £3M). No reason we couldn't spend a large sum again (not for a proven championship striker) on a striker...when I say large I mean up to £5M (I think that would During Johnson's time the net spend wouldn't be much - taking in to account Bolasie sell-ons etc).

2 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

He may prove to be a one off, who knows? I can't say I know enough about either lower league football, foreign football (at a lesser level) or youth football but there must surely be more starlets out there for a loan or natural finishers for a reasonable price.

Flint hasn't gone yet but the rumours suggest he would go for around £5M...that would mean our net spent this summer is around £1M (basing that on Baker costing £2m, Eliasson costing £2M and selling Tomlin for £3M). No reason we couldn't spend a large sum again (not for a proven championship striker) on a striker...when I say large I mean up to £5M (I think that would During Johnson's time the net spend wouldn't be much - taking in to account Bolasie sell-ons etc).

Probably cost Swansea a 7 figure loan fee plus a significant contribution to his wages.

Wouldn't be surprised if we also paid a loan fee last summer. Johnson said teams were offering us money in January to have Abraham, the only way I can see that working is it we'd already paid a loan fee for Abraham.

Oh he is costing Swansea mate,do you think they haven't payed a fee

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Probably cost Swansea a 7 figure loan fee plus a significant contribution to his wages.

Wouldn't be surprised if we also paid a loan fee last summer. Johnson said teams were offering us money in January to have Abraham, the only way I can see that working is it we'd already paid a loan fee for Abraham.

I'm sure he did - I was responding in terms of transfer fee's.

A seven figure loan fee for a striker is well worth it in my opinion...if we can't, or won't, pay the stupid, inflated prices (and I wouldn't agree with paying the stupid prices) for a striker then a £M loan fee is well worth it in my opinion.

I'm sure he did - I was responding in terms of transfer fee's.

A seven figure loan fee for a striker is well worth it in my opinion...if we can't, or won't, pay the stupid, inflated prices (and I wouldn't agree with paying the stupid prices) for a striker then a £M loan fee is well worth it in my opinion.

Playing too much championship manager mate,we have to be a sustainable club even with lansdown,we can't be shelling out 2 million on a loan deal for people like Tammy 

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

No he is but we didn't know it at the time,if you think we will get a striker like him on loan every season then you are deluded 

Didn't say we would - seen enough crap strikers in all my years of watching City to know it's far from the case.

We have a far more professional outfit now though including a scouting team...they must surely know several natural finishers who would 'fit the bill'. 

Plus there is now much more info out there regarding the talented youngsters some teams are 'hoarding'...what I'm saying is...we don't have to spend a fortune, which was implied, to get a natural finisher.

Even if we did, there would be no guarantees - look at Chelsea and Torres!

4 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

He will definitely have cost Swansea several million just for the season, but it's not money that limits us really here.  It's finding a player of that quality that you can get to sign for you.  If they're available to us they're available to pretty much every Championship club.  You have to get exceptionally good at picking out players other teams haven't noticed.  We managed that with Tammy last season thanks to some pretty clever work from LJ but we can't expect to find one of those every time.  

Even with all the speculation over the summer I've not heard a striker linked that made me think yes please.  Not a single one.  Look at the ones mentioned in this thread.  Joe Mason - scored one in five last season in his best season at this level.  Dicko - scored three last season at one in ten after a major knee injury.  Proven at this level?  Yeah, proven to be mediocre.  Let's have some realistic names, anyone..?

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Playing too much championship manager mate,we have to be a sustainable club even with lansdown,we can't be shelling out 2 million on a loan deal for people like Tammy 

Never played it - never will. Doesn't interest me in the slightest.

If we paid a fee last year, no reason we couldn't pay exactly the same fee this year.

Not sure where £2M came from?

1 minute ago, WestonRobin said:

Didn't say we would - seen enough crap strikers in all my years of watching City to know it's far from the case.

We have a far more professional outfit now though including a scouting team...they must surely know several natural finishers who would 'fit the bill'. 

Plus there is now much more info out there regarding the talented youngsters some teams are 'hoarding'...what I'm saying is...we don't have to spend a fortune, which was implied, to get a natural finisher.

Even if we did, there would be no guarantees - look at Chelsea and Torres!

As have every club got a good scouting network,it's not just us that's why natural finishers are rare

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

From memory of interviews past,  I thought as long as we played tammy we paid nothing.

5 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

If we paid a fee last year, no reason we couldn't pay exactly the same fee this year.

We paid a large loan fee last year and the only reason we were able to get Tammy was we agreed to play him pretty much all the time and LJ did some very good prep work on it.  He wasn't available to us this year no matter the money because he was ready for the Prem.  

4 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

are you talking about paying the same fee for Tammy or paying and hoping that another youngster does the business,bizarre either way

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

We paid a large loan fee last year and the only reason we were able to get Tammy was we agreed to play him pretty much all the time and LJ did some very good prep work on it.  He wasn't available to us this year no matter the money because he was ready for the Prem.  

I have no idea how much we paid for Tammy last year...so many different rumours; some range from nothing to £2M (which I've seen on this tread). I'd wager it was somewhere in the middle,  that would be just a guess though.

I must stress that I am not,and have not, suggested we could get Tammy back on loan. My comments about Tammy were in response to someone implying that getting natural goalscorers cost an absolute fortune. They don't always - as proven in this case. 

The response about paying a loan fee was in response to Joe's comment about being a sustainable club...if we were able to pay a fee last year then there is no reason we could pay exactly the same fee for A.N. Other this year. I would imagine that our financial circumstances this year are no different to last year. Not saying that we should be paying a loan fee and hoping to get lucky again. Just that the finances are no different.

1 minute ago, WestonRobin said:

I have no idea how much we paid for Tammy last year...so many different rumours; some range from nothing to £2M (which I've seen on this tread). I'd wager it was somewhere in the middle,  that would be just a guess though.

I must stress that I am not,and have not, suggested we could get Tammy back on loan. My comments about Tammy were in response to someone implying that getting natural goalscorers cost an absolute fortune. They don't always - as proven in this case. 

The response about paying a loan fee was in response to Joe's comment about being a sustainable club...if we were able to pay a fee last year then there is no reason we could pay exactly the same fee for A.N. Other this year. I would imagine that our financial circumstances this year are no different to last year.

Ultimately we could afford (in so much as we can afford anything making a giant loss each year) to splash another few million if it helped, but what's the point unless you're convinced the player will be an improvement?  I haven't seen a single name yet we could realistically sign who would improve us.  Plenty of mediocre expensive players but not one I think is better enough than the options we have.  It's identification not cash that's the problem and nobody is offering any solutions.

15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Ultimately we could afford (in so much as we can afford anything making a giant loss each year) to splash another few million if it helped, but what's the point unless you're convinced the player will be an improvement?  I haven't seen a single name yet we could realistically sign who would improve us.  Plenty of mediocre expensive players but not one I think is better enough than the options we have.  It's identification not cash that's the problem and nobody is offering any solutions.

I'd have to agree with you about solutions.

I know next to nothing about Vassell - from what others say on here he could be good but I've never seen him play.

Mason doesn't do it for me.

Wouldnt mind Dicko...but I'm not sure he'd be exactly what we're after.

Some have mentioned Vibe - how much would he cost??

I don't know enough about either players from the lower or foreign leagues to pass comment and / or judgement but know many in here do. Are there any fringe players from the Premier League that won't make the 25 man squad?? Like you, I'm struggling to think of exciting options, or indeed any option, but as I've said I don't have an extensive knowledge of available players.

I'd have to agree with you about solutions.

I know next to nothing about Vassell - from what others say on here he could be good but I've never seen him play.

Mason doesn't do it for me.

Wouldnt mind Dicko...but I'm not sure he'd be exactly what we're after.

I don't know enough about either players from the lower or foreign leagues to pass comment and / or judgement but know many in here do. Are there any fringe players from the Premier League that won't make the 25 man squad?? Like you, I'm struggling to think of exciting options, or indeed any option, but as I've said I don't have an extensive knowledge of available players.

All I know about Vassell is his stats and his youtube clips.  Neither make me think he's any less of a gamble than Engvall and he's about five years older.  

I can't pretend I follow anything outside the Championship really but would assume the club have something organised here.  We do have Taylor and Đurić to come back, so we're not exactly desperate.

I think we'll be going with what we have until January at least unless there's a loan we're waiting on when the squads are finalised.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

All I know about Vassell is his stats and his youtube clips.  Neither make me think he's any less of a gamble than Engvall and he's about five years older.  

I can't pretend I follow anything outside the Championship really but would assume the club have something organised here.  We do have Taylor and Đurić to come back, so we're not exactly desperate.

I think we'll be going with what we have until January at least unless there's a loan we're waiting on when the squads are finalised.

I sure hope it's this - otherwise letting Wilbs & Engvall go could prove to be a huge mistake. Whilst neither may be either quick or prolific we need someone who has experience of playing up top. 

I only dropped in on this thread to say that we need someone who reads the game as a striker - whilst Bobby has done well up top and scored three already we do need someone with experience of playing in the final third...they just read the game that little bit differently and can create more by doing this.

45 minutes ago, tts_city said:

From memory of interviews past,  I thought as long as we played tammy we paid nothing.

No. The statement was the more he played the less it would cost us. I read that as we've paid a big part if it as a lump sum, therefore the average cost per game comes down the more he plays. He certainly was not free!

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

how do we get proof? they will need game time for a start, they had a bit last season; Taylor seems to like running around a lot, so he should fit in but does he even know where the barn door is in this div let alone able hit it a few times; Đurić seems more of a target man and I think even when fit will be a standby for our 5million pound man.

Then there`s Engvall fit and scoring a few but loaned to a Swedish club...strange. :dunno:

Yep Engvall is a proven finisher. Very odd

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No. The statement was the more he played the less it would cost us. I read that as we've paid a big part if it as a lump sum, therefore the average cost per game comes down the more he plays. He certainly was not free!

I dont suppose you have a linky ? I remember it different but im buggered if i can find it on t'internet, of course it could always be early onset oldtimers.....

Archived