IGNORED

Hegelar

Forever Red 94

1 hour ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Stop scapegoating players after one poor game, Hegler is a good CB, the team as a collective were poor today , he'll eventually be phased out for Baker anyway

I hope  it will be a bit quicker than eventually. Like Tuesday night.

Highlights are obviously only a small picture of a game but the thing that struck me was the lack of aggression and decisiveness, a centre half needs more.  That ball into the box is yours, nobody else's.  Don't hesitate, don't let that striker get across you, get your boot through it.  Pack and Wright both had chances to clear for their first but Hegeler then had two bites at it and seemed fairly half hearted at both.  There were two occasions a striker got across him to a ball in that he was closer to as well.  He's a good player on the ball and intelligent but he needs to be in front of the defence not in the middle of it.

Bit harsh on Hegeler. Not sure he's a long term solution at CB but in comparison to Bailey Wright he looked like a world beater today. 

Its funny how people see it differently. I personally am amazed at the faith shown in Bailey Wright. Strange choice of captain for me. Has the turning span of an oil tanker and couldn't pass water. He puts us under so much pressure by his lack of distribution and he constantly gives away needless and stupid free kicks. Don't understand how so many can write Flint off, a proven centre half in this division in favour of this bloke. Surely no coincidence he couldn't get in at Preston.

I don't want to get drawn into too negativity at this stage after a superb first 45 today. Arguably some of the best football I have seen a City side play in years. No point getting to down and of course I hope Wright/Hegeler go on to prove many wrong, including myself.

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Everyone saying here we go/scapegoat etc...the op is right he is not a natural cb...baker in for Brentford for me...if flint stays he and baker will be our cb pairing surely??

On the basis that Wright is captain, no.

It is Wright and one other (probably Baker by September).

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

On the basis that Wright is captain, no.

It is Wright and one other (probably Baker by September).

I think your right mate and I do feel flint coukd still be sold...but say just say flint stays do you honestly believe it won't be flint baker at cb?

you can be club captain and not be a regular.

i think city bought baker because they thought flint would go, but no acceptable bids as of yet suggests he could stay then lee has a difficult problem in his hands 

Just now, MC RISK77 said:

I think your right mate and I do feel flint coukd still be sold...but say just say flint stays do you honestly believe it won't be flint baker at cb?

you can be club captain and not be a regular.

i think city bought baker because they thought flint would go, but no acceptable bids as of yet suggests he could stay then lee has a difficult problem in his hands 

I do.

I think Wright is first choice whoever is at the club.

2 hours ago, Forever Red 94 said:

Obviously a decent footballer, and technically sound. But you wont convince me he is a cb. To weak for his size and not clever enough, brums second goal, once the player went inside he needed to fly out to challenge him and take him out if he needed to or drop and defend the space he was trying to attack. In the end he did neither and the player waltzed past him to have a pop at goal. Baker needs to partner wright for me.

I wasn't at the game, but the highlights of the game I have seen. The goal you refer to I would say the last thing you would do is drop imo. I think the guy was simply in full flight & quicker than him. I think it all comes from a throw in, the new boy gets caught under the ball, looses his player. Hegeler is then hoping Eliasson gets back, he doesn't, gets side stepped & ultimately it's a good finish. Possibly Bryan could do more, but he is pre occupied by the wide man. Comes from the throw in for me. COYR

Just now, Simon79 said:

I wasn't at the game, but the highlights of the game I have seen. The goal you refer to I would say the last thing you would do is drop imo. I think the guy was simply in full flight & quicker than him. I think it all comes from a throw in, the new boy gets caught under the ball, looses his player. Hegeler is then hoping Eliasson gets back, he doesn't, gets side stepped & ultimately it's a good finish. Possibly Bryan could do more, but he is pre occupied by the wide man. Comes from the throw in for me. COYR

Respect your opinion and agree the midfield could of done better first of all. But he just stood still, if he wasnt going to fly out and close him down dropping into the space and trying to keep himself between the player and the goal would of gave him a chance of blocking the shot or making the player think twice, by just letting him waltz past him he made the players mind up to shoot. I think even when he looks back at the goal he will feel it was poor defending

Harsh views on Hegeler. I thought he was decent. Amazed that Korey Smith has not been mentioned. He was ineffective. Both goals preventable and I would say our midfield is the problem. Could not get control after a very good 1st half. We urgently need a better GK as well. All in all a promising performance despite the loss.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe Hegeler should be playing Pack's position not Baker's .

I can't see him being mobile and energetic enough to press like Pack in a middle two 

LJ said he didn't think Hegeler could play in a two, after today I kind of agree now if we want to play a high tempo pressing game - I thought he was talking rubbish but I kind of get it now

Thought he was part at fault for the second goal. Dived in, when the new lad was catching him up - jens  committing took them both out of the game as he blocked the new lad off.

Thing that surprised me was how often he gave the ball back to frankie under no pressure. Frankie distribution is so erratic and the big Germans supposed to be able to spread the ball around, why wasn't he playing the balls out from the back?

Archived