IGNORED

Fielding

Ashton98

We're a mid-table CC side and we've got a mid-table CC keeper. That makes him pretty decent by my reckoning. There are better keepers out there and it would be nice to get one but it's obviously not easy with competition from other clubs. I'm happy with Frank for now, although I suspect not forever. 

2 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

We do need a good keeper but the Gardner goal wasn't his fault, he was left wide open .

second goal he couldn't really have saved either to be honest. We do need a good starting keeper as a Priority if we wanna go up but I don't think he's to blame for this match 

Seeing it again he should have saved the second. Too often beaten from distance. We must spend big money on a keeper. 

17 minutes ago, redapple said:

We're a mid-table CC side and we've got a mid-table CC keeper. That makes him pretty decent by my reckoning. There are better keepers out there and it would be nice to get one but it's obviously not easy with competition from other clubs. I'm happy with Frank for now, although I suspect not forever. 

I would say frankie is far from a championship quaililty keeper, don't think he would be first choice for any other championship team.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Just seen the goals def at fault for second one.

Did you see the two great saves he also made, especially the one In the 1st half that took a slight deflection? 

From where I was sat frankie had no chance with the first and was beaten by a very good strike for the 2nd. 

13 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

We do need a new keeper. We play all these teams that have quality goalkeepers and time and time again their keepers will pull off a Worldy to keep them in the game at crucial times.

fielding is very average and saves what he should but he never does anything outstanding to win us a game. 

In my opinion if we had stockdale in goal and they have fielding today, we would have won that game.

Agreed. We need to stop going for cheap options in goal and spend some money on an established number one. Fielding is not good enough 

I think Fielding is at fault for the first goal and the reason why is the reason why we need a replacement or need to give Lucic a run. Frankie’s lack of size is a weakness and one that physical and tall teams will, and do, take advantage of. You can say that Frankie should/should not have saved the shot, but it never should have come to that. If you watch the first goal (2.47 on official site’s highlights), brum take the throw in, pack messes up the free header away, and their number nine just heads the ball up high. There is no pace on it, it is just a poor reaction header that will come down on the edge of the six yard box. This is a keeper’s dream. It is in the air for a good couple of seconds and a commanding keeper could barge through, leap and catch it, or, in the case of a continental keeper like Lucic, punch it away. But Frankie is nowhere to be seen, still stood basically on his line. Because he doesn’t command his area, doesn’t even try to and instead stays on his line, our cbs play too deep, leaving that big space in front of them for not-that-far-away long shots. Frankie can be a good shot stopper, but he lives on his line. We need one that commands the box, or poor teams will punish us like they have with long throws and set pieces.  

Some of the criticism of Fielding is excessive and typical of what we see on OTIB immediately following a disappointing result. A bit like having a go at Reid for not being a striker when he's scored three times in his first two games. That said,  there is a clear need for a second senior keeper to provide competition and that has been the case for a long time. We do seem to struggle when it comes to recruiting keepers for some reason. Frank is a better keeper than some are willing to give him credit for, but there is an issue with the lack of a physical presence in the box and that becomes more of a concern if Flint is not going to feature. However, I really don't think it's on to claim that this defeat can be put down to goalkeeping errors, as some people seem to be suggesting. There were failings both in front of goal and in defence in a game where we were otherwise good enough in general play to have taken something from it. 

I have long been critical of Frankie's kicking, but yesterday, apart from one awful mis-kick, his distribution was much better. Much of the time he looked to roll the ball out rather than just hoof it down the pitch. He was certainly not at fault for either of Birmingham's goals. 

As for 'commanding the box' he did ok yesterday, taking a couple of good takes and making one good punch. The only box I expect the keeper to command is the 6 yard one, the penalty area needs to be defended by the CB's. 

Finally, who are these superstar championship keepers who keep out every long shot every week? They clearly can't be same clowns i watch on the highlights shows every week of season. 

Normally when you've this tall keeper who commands the penalty area are the ones that are slow to react to quick sharp stops. 

The ones that can do both are normally Prem keepers or a whole lot more than we are prepared to pay for. 

Heaton was not the most commanding keeper and was often critised for this, but I suspect most will take him back now. 

This is the reason I think every keeper who comes in to take his spot eventually loses out to him. It's really about sacrificing one attribute for another. When we had Flint playing commanding the area, we then rely on quick snap shots reaction keeper which we seem to have in FF.  

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I have long been critical of Frankie's kicking, but yesterday, apart from one awful mis-kick, his distribution was much better. Much of the time he looked to roll the ball out rather than just hoof it down the pitch. He was certainly not at fault for either of Birmingham's goals. 

As for 'commanding the box' he did ok yesterday, taking a couple of good takes and making one good punch. The only box I expect the keeper to command is the 6 yard one, the penalty area needs to be defended by the CB's. 

Finally, who are these superstar championship keepers who keep out every long shot every week? They clearly can't be same clowns i watch on the highlights shows every week of season. 

It does seem to be better this season, noticeably so v Barnsley. He`s obviously been working on it.

Credit where it is due to Fielding. He has lost his place three times and always won it back again. He is decent at Championship level but I would probably agree he is our weakest link in the first team. There are two major issues for me:

1) as others have said, his distribution. Not just his kicking but he seems to take an age to release the ball and I would rather have a keeper who can launch fast counter attacks.

2) rightly or wrongly, I always suspect a goalkeeper who has a habit of playing behind poor defences might be a bit rubbish at communicating with/organising his defence. I always suspected it was no coincidence that, great keeper though he was - I assume he has now retired - it was no coincidence that Shay Given played behind poor defences whether he was at Newcastle, Man City or Villa and I suspect same may be true of Fielding. I could be way off though!

This said, we have seen from ROD, Giefer and whoever the hell that lad we played under SOD - ?Elliot Parrish? - that the grass js not greener. If we can get a better keeper then great but we know for sure that, for his faults, there are certainly worse keepers out there...

On 8/12/2017 at 17:54, JonDolman said:

First goal he didn't even dive. Second one other keepers would have saved. Was the most important position to strengthen in at the start of the window. I understand it might have been hard getting in the targets. Just need to make sure we get one in soon.

Difficult to dive if you're unsighted and don't even see the shot !

:dunno:

13 minutes ago, skinster said:

First goal he didn't even dive. .................what is it with some of you people, have you even played football - lets just dive for the fun of it

Yes, albeit a while ago.

That's exactly why I said in reply to JonDolman, it's difficult to dive if you're unsighted and can't see the shot.

46 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If it is a fast cross from a counter maybe, but watch the first goal again. Anyone who has played football can see how terrible the header is their number nine makes, it is slow, far, far, far too high, and even joe hart could have claimed it. It is in the air for several seconds. Looks like a golfing stroke with a sand wedge. This is the bare basics of keeping and I doubt Coles teaches our keepers not to claim such aimless headers. You can see that fielding has his hands round his mouth and is shouting something, god knows what "someone t'deal with it because I t'ain't".

48 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Difficult to dive if you're unsighted and don't even see the shot !

:dunno:

As for reaction saves, when the shot comes in you can see him watch it just past the penalty spot then continue to turn his head and watch it all the way through the six yard box into the corner. He clearly saw it, but I assume he thought it was going wide considering he didn't throw himself at it, which is poor when you can see how close to the corner he is himself. If LJ isn't getting a new keeper, I would prefere LJ gives Lucic a fair shot as he is 6ft 4, plus is more likely to improve with game time. Franky ain't gonna get taller and opposing teams, especially poor ones whose managers compain to the media that they don't have any strikers, are not going to stop telling their players to launch high balls into the box because we apparently can't deal with them. Unless this weakness is solved then teams will keep exploiting it, just like with our fullback problem last season, (until the final third when LJ realised he needed to drop Tomlin and double up to provide extra protection for the full backs.) People complain about flint being the constant in a terrible defence for two seasons, but Fielding has to be a close second.

Oddly, Fielding is reported as being 6ft 1, so unless he has the arms of a t-rex, I don't see why he can't be challenging for more high balls.

7 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

If it is a fast cross from a counter maybe, but watch the first goal again. Anyone who has played football can see how terrible the header is their number nine makes, it is slow, far, far, far too high, and even joe hart could have claimed it. It is in the air for several seconds. Looks like a golfing stroke with a sand wedge. This is the bare basics of keeping and I doubt Coles teaches our keepers not to claim such aimless headers. You can see that fielding has his hands round his mouth and is shouting something, god knows what "someone t'deal with it because I t'ain't".

As for reaction saves, when the shot comes in you can see him watch it just past the penalty spot then continue to turn his head and watch it all the way through the six yard box into the corner. He clearly saw it, but I assume he thought it was going wide considering he didn't throw himself at it, which is poor when you can see how close to the corner he is himself. If LJ isn't getting a new keeper, I would prefere LJ gives Lucic a fair shot as he is 6ft 4, plus is more likely to improve with game time. Franky ain't gonna get taller and opposing teams, especially poor ones whose managers compain to the media that they don't have any strikers, are not going to stop telling their players to launch high balls into the box because we apparently can't deal with them. Unless this weakness is solved then teams will keep exploiting it, just like with our fullback problem last season, (until the final third when LJ realised he needed to drop Tomlin and double up to provide extra protection for the full backs.) People complain about flint being the constant in a terrible defence for two seasons, but Fielding has to be a close second.

Oddly, Fielding is reported as being 6ft 1, so unless he has the arms of a t-rex, I don't see why he can't be challenging for more high balls.

Which ball should he of claimed?

4 minutes ago, skinster said:

Not entirely sure but I think the one that three of our outfield players including both centre halves failed to deal with four times in total.  If there's blame to apportion 95% of it lies with them I think.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:41, Super said:

He rarely saves anything from long range and his kicking is hopeless. Desperate for an upgrade.

totally agree treats most back passes as if the  ball is a hand grenade that is about to go off,  and how when kicking out manages to miss the whole playing area is definitely not instilling confidence in his defenders, not sure what games eastside moonwalker has seen I bet not many as despite having some good qualities is a liability in my humble opinion.

3 minutes ago, skinster said:

For their first goal, the throw in comes in, pack messes up a free header and then their number 9, clearly suprised at being gifted the ball, heads it on a reflex way up into the air, like a Tomlin penalty, so high it goes out of camera shot. It is in fairness closer to the penalty spot than the six yard box, so perhaps I am being unduly harsh, but it is in the air for such a long time that a commanding keeper who wasn't rooted back on his line could charge in and punch it clear. I agree it was a comedy of errors though and should have been dealt with by the cb's. At first I assumed someone else had called for it, but the fact than franky is shouting may suggest that this mess up could be due to a break down in communication between them all. Perhaps Franky is so used to Flint dealing with them that he stayed back on his own "reflex?" Who knows.

He needs a goalie to push him either better or same ability. When Giefer came in that seemed to alert Frankie and performed a lot better towards the end of the season. Now the second choice is Lucic who is very inexperienced at this level so Frankie may seem relaxed that his number 1 shirt is secured.

Why does this come up every time we lose a game? Some people seem to have it in for Frankie, very few goals we concede come down to him. Several other keepers have been brought in during his time here yet he always turns out to be the better option. Nobody complained about him in our promotion season where he saved us from defeat on many occasions, especially away from home. It's about time he was given more respect since he's been one of the significant contributors to our recent success and we'd certainly miss him if he went elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Seeing as LJ said in his latest interview that he is only looking for a striker, I guess he is happy with FF. Looks like it's him until Jan at least. 

We were defo looking for a keeping in the close season, so if we aren't at the moment I imagine it's because we've exhausted options.

On 8/12/2017 at 18:27, Ashton98 said:

A new keeper is a must if we want a good season. Can't seem to save long shots or claim balls, his distribution is also very poor. We need a keeper that gives the crowd and players confidence, someone would make the box his although I think the team played very well and was unlucky to leave with nothing. On to Tuesday!

Just to correct one thing we were not unlucky to leave Birmingham with nothing, we were the masters of our own defeat, because of individual errors, team errors, piss poor decision making at crucial times and not taking our chances, we got what we deserved, nothing and it was the same for far too many games last season, when we play 90 minutes like we did yesterday, teams do not have to be playing anywhere near well to beat us and that really is a problem.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Why does this come up every time we lose a game? Some people seem to have it in for Frankie, very few goals we concede come down to him. Several other keepers have been brought in during his time here yet he always turns out to be the better option. Nobody complained about him in our promotion season where he saved us from defeat on many occasions, especially away from home. It's about time he was given more respect since he's been one of the significant contributors to our recent success and we'd certainly miss him if he went elsewhere.

It comes up every time we lose because at least one of the opposition goals, is a long shot from outside the box and FF don't get anywhere near it.

He's reasonable at saving one on one's but his record at saving anything from 20 yards + more is poor. Admittedly B'ham walked through our non existent midfield and defence before shooting it from a yard or so outside the box. So he's not entirely responsible.

On 8/12/2017 at 17:54, JonDolman said:

First goal he didn't even dive. Second one other keepers would have saved. Was the most important position to strengthen in at the start of the window. I understand it might have been hard getting in the targets. Just need to make sure we get one in soon.

Out of interest, just watched MOTD.

Man Utd. second goal - Joe Hart didn't even dive.

He's the England 'keeper and 6' 5" FFS!!!

Not being able to see the games makes it very difficult for me but it always seems to be "blame the last man in defence" (gk). More often than not its because of mistakes made elsewhere that puts the gk under pressure, I admit some gks handle it better than others but if we had taken our chances the other end we probably wouldn't be discussing this.:cool:

Archived