IGNORED

Midfield hard nut

Top Robin

What we need is an experienced midfield hard nut who gets well and truly 'stuck in'', gets around the park and runs the show.  I think our midfield at present is competant, not great, but lightweight and needs a general to boss things. Should also tighten things up defensively.

When you look at our squad, that position seems to lack depth. If Pack/Smith are suspended or injured, what happens? GON? - clearly not fancied. Brownhill? Shifting players around again. After that I'm struggling, Hegeler? Can't play in a midfield two apparently. Bryan? 

We're crying out for a modern Tommy Doherty to come and put his stamp on the game.

42 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

What we need is an experienced midfield hard nut who gets well and truly 'stuck in'', gets around the park and runs the show.  I think our midfield at present is competant, not great, but lightweight and needs a general to boss things. Should also tighten things up defensively.

where are these players anymore? what successful team has them?

Our players looked a bit lightweight yesterday since Birmingham had older and physically stronger players, that will be the case against some other sides as well (eg Cardiff) but not all, that comes in part with having a young team but in some games it will be an advantage to us to have smaller, quicker energetic players. 

3 hours ago, jackofromrugby said:

If we can summon up a hard midfielder in this transfer window, bear in mind that to do the job properly HE MUST HAVE A BEARD............ 

beardy.jpg

That looks like Charles Bronson (the prisoner). He's certainly provide some nastiness in the middle of the park. Would have thought his disciplinary record would be poor though.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

we certainly don't need this type of player. The top six last season barely did.

We need three in midfield when playing away 

I think we are at a disadvantage against teams with physical power, though I would go with 3 in midfield too.

We tackled well yesterday, but lost the ball a lot with our short passing game. The issue with playing that way is when you do lose it you have to reshape quick or get hurt.

We have needed a tough midfielder for a while, someone that opposition players are a little bit intimidated by. Niether Smith or Pack are that man. But who is available and will he get us a few more goals from the midfield as neither Smith nor Pack will help much there.

Archived