IGNORED

Photo storage and sharing

Dollymarie

Right people, help me. 

I've been using Photobucket to store and share my photos for years now, but the app has basically got to a stage where it's rubbish now. I want to stop using it. 

Can someone recommend me another app I can get to store all the photos on my phone somewhere safe (I'd like to avoid paying for it if possible) and where I can then access those photos to share links to the photos online etc. 

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Photo bucket have actually stopped third party sharing. Not sure if you are aware but you'll find broken links on forums and so forth 

The app has never worked properly on my iPad, and now the one on my phone keeps refusing to back new photos up, if I then turn off and back on autoback up, it then wants to upload all 6000+ photos again, which takes literally 24 hours, and also means I then have to go on the desktop version and delete all the duplicates. I've tried everything to get it to work which is why I want something new. 

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Can the second one not do both? 

Does anyone know if google photos will let me share them as well via links it produces for each image, like photobucket does now?

Google photos will let you share individual images or albums.  I'm not sure if it supports deep linking (i.e. embedding the image somewhere like here).  It might want you to go to that site and look at it.

Dropbox will do much the same.  Sync on both of them works fine on an android phone and a windows or linux desktop, not tried it on anything apple.

The other mainstream option is flickr.  Not used it myself but amateur photographers seem to like it.

Dropbox is good but I fill it up too easily and then you have to pay, or create a new account. Google photos works well for me. I also use Flickr and Piktures which was a bit buggy on my old phone but since changing phones recently seem to work. I only backup over wifi and all except Dropbox will do that automatically, Dropbox you have to select and then upload which with all that I take I forget to go sometimes, but the plus side is that I don't fill up the limited storage do easily.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

With google photos can you share photos easily? Like online and stuff. I mean where places don't have a function like OTIB where you can upload from your device directly. 

Just had a quick look and no not easily (what I meant by deep linking).  They'll let you create a link to the photo and paste it or send it by email but they really want someone to go to their site to look at it rather than serving it in another site.

On 8/13/2017 at 17:26, Dollymarie said:

Right people, help me. 

I've been using Photobucket to store and share my photos for years now, but the app has basically got to a stage where it's rubbish now. I want to stop using it. 

Can someone recommend me another app I can get to store all the photos on my phone somewhere safe (I'd like to avoid paying for it if possible) and where I can then access those photos to share links to the photos online etc. 

Facebook, but keep the albums private. Been doing it for ages now, works fine.

Archived