IGNORED

cycle racing racing taking place central area on Saturday

Never to the dark side

20 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

just a heads up for those who come across the central area of Bristol to get to Ashton Gate.

Cyclist are in and around the central area for most of Saturday

So is the centre closed at all?

Bristol Grand Prix - Cycle Road Race 20.6.15

Road closure information, public transport and travel options

• Road closure details

Road closures will be in place from 5.00am on 19th August 2017, and will be lifted no later than 23.59

Full closure

• College Green
  • Unity Street
  • Park Street – hard closure at junction with 
Charlotte Street, access for residents between
 this junction and the B4051
  • Deanery Road
  • College Street
  • Frog Lane
  • Frogmore Street
  • Denmark Avenue & Denmark Street
  • Hobb’s Lane

Closed by lack of access

• Mark Lane
  • College Lane

Part closure

• St George’s Road – from Park Street to junction 
with Deanery Road
  • Orchard Street – between Denmark Avenue 
& Orchard Lane
  • St Augustine’s Parade (Anchor Road) - In-bound traffic 
lane closed only from College Green to junction with 
Denmark Street; in-bound traffic from Anchor Road 
to use out-bound Park Street lane and then rejoin 
inward bound carriageway after Denmark Street, 
as per map.

Suspension of one-way system

• Orchard Lane

Partial Road closures will permit traffic to enter and exit Charlotte St across Park Street until 10.30am (residents only).

Public transport and travel option

Spectators are strongly encouraged to travel to the event by public transport. Parking in Bristol City Centre is limited, the race will put road closures in place for the route and it’s generally a better thing for the environment if we can leave the cars at home. There are plenty of public transport options to make use of detailed below.

Road closures will be in place for the full route on the day of the event from 5am until midnight.

Please note: due to the University of Bristol Undergraduate Open Day footfall in the city-centre and use of trains, park and rides and other transport options are likely to be busier than normal. Please allow enough time in your journey to allow for this.

Train The race location is in the centre of Bristol and accessible by foot from Bristol Temple Meads train station, approximately 15 mins walk. Alternatively if you require a bus services 8 and 9 will serve the race area from the train station (route diverted due to road closures).

Bus If you are travelling by bus from Bristol please note that some bus diversions will be in place due to road closures and this may affect bus timetables.

Bicycle Travelling to the event by bicycle is very actively encouraged. We will be providing extra bike parking facilities at the event and these will be overseen by stewards. Bicycles are a very welcome means of travel but can cause difficulties in crowds – please ensure bicycles are secured in bike parking facilities and avoid walking around the race route with bicycles unnecessarily to enhance the safety and experience of the crowd.

Car If you are travelling by car please visit the BBC Travel Website for information on travel on the day. Please use the Park & Ride services to avoid bringing your car to the city-centre, there are 3 services located in Brislington, Long Ashton and on the Portway all in use on Saturday. See Travel West for more information.

Please note: the College Street car park will be closed due to the event and not accessible for parking

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Of course, they couldn't do it on a Sunday ! :grr:

They did! (the runners did) last May. And it still coincided with our game v Brum. Someone seems intent on a bust-up between weekend PE enthusiasts and nasty away support. 

That said, there are other things that go on of a Saturday to get in the way of driving to BS3 (traffic, roadworks, summer hol traffic, shoppers etc), and generally we all cope with that. there are ways and means around these things. plus, not everyone has to move out the way for us! There will only be 16,000 there...

I wondered why the buses were a shambles yesterday - well more than usual, anyway.

Why on a ******* Saturday? It seems that anything cyclists want, they get. Mind you, given the number of Sustrans members in the Council House, I'm not surprised.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

A quick question that always baffles me. Why do people have bike carriers on their cars ?  Doesn't that defeat the object of having a bike in the first place ?

I use mine to take the bikes to Centre Parcs when having a break there. Is that a good enough excuse?  Also use it to Yale the bikes over to the Forest of Dean to use some of the tracks in the woods. 

4 hours ago, Aizoon said:

I wondered why the buses were a shambles yesterday - well more than usual, anyway.

Why on a ******* Saturday? It seems that anything cyclists want, they get. Mind you, given the number of Sustrans members in the Council House, I'm not surprised.

Add in for the second successive league match at home someone decided it would be a good idea to have a bridge swing at 4:30 ffs! 

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I use mine to take the bikes to Centre Parcs when having a break there. Is that a good enough excuse?  Also use it to Yale the bikes over to the Forest of Dean to use some of the tracks in the woods. 

Sorry Tom but why not ride them there ?  When will someone invent a bike with a car carrier ?

Dragons Den here I come !!

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Add in for the second successive league match at home someone decided it would be a good idea to have a bridge swing at 4:30 ffs! 

Hold on, its ok to block off all the roads for a bike race but not to open a bridge for someone who enjoys sailing. Sounds like a double standard here.

Archived