IGNORED

Wilbs

Septic Peg

Not sure I'm reading the same thing. Sounds fine; just assertive that he wants to keep playing. I dont infer he's unhappy with Johnson, indeed even says he was clearly trying to keep him around. 

I personally can't see Johnson done anything wrong. He told the player he wasn't in his plans as a player. But happy for him to be a part of the squad and part of his coaching staff. Which wilbs accepted. Then Bolton came calling and wilbs has got what he wants. As much as I like wilbs . As a team we got to look forward. IMO Johnson got this right 

Just now, GrahamC said:

Interesting.

Also another good example of how a local paper can write about their team without resorting to clickbait shite.

Hopefully their learning. 

Surprised Wilbs has broken ranks a bit here; maybe as an older pro he feels he has less to lose. Reading between the lines he was pretty pissed off by this man management.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surprised Wilbs has broken ranks a bit here; maybe as an older pro he feels he has less to lose. Reading between the lines he was pretty pissed off by this man management.

Fair enough if he had problems with other things LJ has done but he hasn't put forward particularly strong evidence here. Sounds like LJ was being upfront with him and making sure he knew what sort of involvement he'd have this season. 

My guess is there is some bitterness about other events which Wilbs hasn't  mentioned for him to come out with this...

That is going to be Wilbs view of course it is, he would rather be told he has a chance of playing more.

However, LJ is just being honest with him in his thinking, and inevitably if we have 5 strikers and one is 37 he should play less (barring injury and form). I think managers win more respect from players by being honest like this rather than trying to keep everyone happy.

2 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Fair enough if he had problems with other things LJ has done but he hasn't put forward particularly strong evidence here. Sounds like LJ was being upfront with him and making sure he knew what sort of involvement he'd have this season. 

My guess is there is some bitterness about other events which Wilbs hasn't  mentioned for him to come out with this...

Yeah, I don't think LJ did anything wrong and that's not what I'm saying. People have got the wrong end of the stick on this thread.

Disregarding what people think about Wilbs playing time, it's interesting that he's broken ranks a bit. Usually players don't reveal much.

1 minute ago, Devereux said:

That is going to be Wilbs view of course it is, he would rather be told he has a chance of playing more.

However, LJ is just being honest with him in his thinking, and inevitably if we have 5 strikers and one is 37 he should play less (barring injury and form). I think managers win more respect from players by being honest like this rather than trying to keep everyone happy.

Some might say that this is a case of good man management. Employee fully aware of his potential role and responsibilities within the company.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, I don't think LJ did anything wrong and that's not what I'm saying.

Disregarding what peoplee think about Wilbs playing time, it's interesting that he's broken ranks a bit. Usually players don't reveal much.

I get your point. I think there is an inference to be drawn here and the one I draw is that Wilbs isn't an LJ fan. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I get your point. I think there is an inference to be drawn here and the one I draw is that Wilbs isn't an LJ fan. 

In his departure interview he alluded to this. I could just tell from his tone he didn't feel particular warmth towards LJ. 

I can see the positives he brings to the side but it was right to let him go and play, I also think it's right for LJ to be frank with him about it. Doesn't mean Wilbs isn't annoyed by it whether he's right to be or not.

I've just read that and a no point whatsoever does it suggest that he was upset, in any way, by LJ..?!

I think we showed a lot of class in releasing him from his newly signed contract, so that he could get some more playing time elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Fairly obvious to everyone he wasn't going to get much game time here this season.

Having let Engvall go and with no other senior striker available, if he was still with us then he would have been ideal to have come on on Saturday at 1-1..

Maybe Wilbs just didn't want to end up the way of Wade Elliot? Phased out into coaching when he probably could've played for a few more clubs lower down the leagues 

I don't think the article reads like theres bad blood anywhere, Wilbs wanted to play but LJ can't afford to give him too many minutes due to the fact hes 37 and we have a young team of players who are obviously going to start ahead of him

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If that's the case then best that 'Albi' moved on then but if LJ didn't like 'Albi', then why would he bother offering him a new contract with coaching responsibilities when his contract has run out? We wouldn't of had to pay 'Albi' anything to move on so no issues financially to the club.

If 'Albi' genuinely believes he should still be playing regularly at Championship level then I don't think there's many City fans who would agree that he should be doing that here, we are progressing as a club & are in a position to spend the money necessary to improve our squad.

I would suggest that the only Championship club that would sign 'Albi' is / was Bolton because they aren't in a position to spend any money on new players & with every other club being able to spend money to improve their squads, 'Albi' would be at the bottom of any Championship clubs possible signings.

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Sounds almost like Wilbs was just giving LJ some advice. Don't tell players that they're probably not going to play as they'll stop trying. Seems simple enough to me, and no bad blood.

If a player stops putting the effort when they are told they're not going to play much then i'm not sure they have the right mental attitude or determination/drive to step up to the challenge. (not suggesting this of Wilbs but if there are players in the game like that, that cant be good). Sounds like he made the right choice for himself if he wanted to play more than LJ suggested he would here, which you cant fault at all.

Personally, I think LJ did exactly the right thing by being up front and honest with him. Imagine the criticism he'd have got if he'd said Wilbs would have played every game and then didnt play him. OTIB would have had a melt down.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Having let Engvall go and with no other senior striker available, if he was still with us then he would have been ideal to have come on on Saturday at 1-1..

I agree with that but obviously he wants more than the odd 15-20 mins.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I just saw whitespace

50 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Remember that he was signed by cotts so probably preferred him as a manager.  However, i am reading nothing negative in this article.  we behaved fairly and so did wilbs.  Sounds like everyone is happy to me.

I didn't read anything negative either, he got given a new contract and the chance to get into a coaching role here (would have been long gone if Johnson wanted him gone and didn't want him here). Got offered a chance to get more game time elsewhere, so agreed to go to Bolton by all parties. Cannot see any issue at all.

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What are you CRAZY????

1-1 away from home and the opposition getting on top, what you do is sling on two lightweight wingers.... you ignore your tiring number 9 and leave him on. 

Don't you know that experience is BAD???

Seriously, there's nothing wrong here, by the sounds of it, in what LJ has said.  His mistake is not retaining Wilbs who could have justified a place in the 18 each week - he would've been perfect on Saturday.  

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't agree with that. You are reading the article and making assumptions that are probably totally unjustified. For once I'm on Johnson's side. There isn't any hidden agenda here. 

Archived